DINOSAUR TRAINING

winsome90

winsome90

Awards
WHO'S DOING IT...I FELL LIKE I JUST DISCOVERED BODYBUILDING ALL OVER...I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN WASTEING MY TIME WITH TRADITIONAL ROUTINES ALL MY LIFE. AUTHOR BROOKS KUBIK

winsome90

winsome90

Awards
Dang can't believe not one ever heard of this...or no one interested...:jaw: :jaw:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
dinosaur training? i give the creator a F- for choosing that name whoever he/she is.

day 1: avoid t-rex
day 2: avoid chuck norris
day 3: day off
day 4: move large rock
day 5: avoid chuck norris
day 6: day off
day 7: day off

diet consists mainly of leaves and small animals, weather depending.

sounds similar to SERE training.

DobermanXXL

Awards
got a buddy who's a baseball player doing it, but I have no idea what it is.

Sputnik

Sputnik

Awards
  • Established
Brooks Kubik is the author of the book Dinosaur Training, and it’s a great read. If you’re interested in reading about basic routines, singles training as well as odd object lifting etc, it’s for you. Brooks has a large following in the strength training community ie. Power & Bulk forum anyone? Brooks is heavily influenced by Bill Starr and old time strong men and lifters like Reg park and Doug Hepburn. .

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
well, never heard of it and i venture through the strength training community rather frequently. know any specifics? give an example of what a typical routine would look like. i'm just curious at this point.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Is it something akin to 'functional strength' training where you're rolling big tires around and lifting rocks rather than balanced weights?

That stuff is pretty cool - I threw haybales around and westled cows half my life though,now I like my 45 lb plates:)

BV

sean taylor

sean taylor

West Coast Highland Athlete
Awards
  • Established
well, never heard of it and i venture through the strength training community rather frequently. know any specifics? give an example of what a typical routine would look like. i'm just curious at this point.
Here ya go:

Monday: Squats, Front Squats, Zercher Squats, Farmer's Lunge/Walk, Donkey Calf Raises, Seated Calf Raises
Wednesday: Dead Lift, Reverse Hyperextensions supersetted with Leg Curls, Chins, Dumbbell Rows, Barbell Curls, COC grippers, Pinch Grips

Friday: Bench Press, Weighted Dips, Clean and Press, Thick Bar Shoulder Press, Rotator Cuff Exercise, DB Tricep Extensions, Abs

found it at http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/dinosaur.htm

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
and how is that revolutionary? according to the first post, this will change the face of the planet. pretty killer leg routine though.

just skimmed through the article, looks to be based off the big 3 with a few variations. instead of farmers walk, push a car in neutral for 50 yards?

eh, whatever gets your ass to the gym. from now on, i'm doing penguin training.

Sputnik

Sputnik

Awards
  • Established
Not revolutionary at all. He’s one of the few strength training authors who says upfront that what he says is nothing new (as opposed to most strength training authors) and is all old stuff from the old timers. Lots of routines in his book, lots of 5x5 stuff, singles training in particular, keg lifting, bottom position squats and benches etc etc. it is worth a read…I got a copy a cpl of years ago. He also used to publish a newsletter which I have heaps of copies of that I got for free….lots of good stuff including articles from the 50’s and 60’s from the old York team, on Reg Park, Pat Casey, Doug Hepburn and the mighty Paul Anderson
Hey Beelzebub, u never been to Power & Bulk? Full of strongman competitors there, Olympic lifters etc. Old School Strength Training used to be the board where Brooks used to be…used to be lots of old time lifters there….but the place went dead for a while
But yeah I can tell ya, this guy made enough $$$ off his book and newsletters to have now quit his job as a high flying attorney, and he has had the support from strength trainers like Dr Ken Leistner, Bill Starr, Bob Whelan and others. I think he also set some US nationals bench records at some point. I saw a pic of him the other day, he’s about 50 now and he looks friggin amazing, cut up but as thick as with that look of power rather than bodybuilder look

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
nope, haven't been there, but may have to give it a gander.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
got a link? it ain't showing up on google.

edit: nevermind, found it.

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
dinosaur training? i give the creator a F- for choosing that name whoever he/she is.

day 1: avoid t-rex
day 2: avoid chuck norris
day 3: day off
day 4: move large rock
day 5: avoid chuck norris
day 6: day off
day 7: day off

diet consists mainly of leaves and small animals, weather depending.

sounds similar to SERE training.

:toofunny:

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Read a lot about it on Bob Wheelans site Naturalstrength.com
Aside from the odd objects etc it seems very much a philosphy, no supplements etc just big weights and big food, Some very good motivational stuff over there.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start a new thing called Alien Bobsled Training. It's like nothing the world has ever seen. Stay tuned fellas!

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
I just got the book in the mail today.. plus 140lbs caps of crunch (not Cap'n Crunch :lol: )
It's pretty huge over at irontrybe, geared towards functional strength/strongman training..

From the back cover:

Dinosaur Training: Lost secrets of Strength & development.

"...focuses on real world strength training..becoming more powerful..building functional muscle..strengthening the tendons and ligaments..thick bar training..heavy weights..powerrack work..heavy grip work..sandbag & barrel lifting..heavy support work..."

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Guys, I've put on 3 pounds in the last thirty seconds with my Alien Bobsled Training. You guys are wasting your time with this dinosaur mess. Aliens are "the new" dinosaurs...:hammer:

winsome90

winsome90

Awards
Seriously guys while the name is funny like someone posted earlier it is a way of thinking and training with untraditional equiptment, unstable loads etc. Through training in this manner, for example doing keg lifts and sandbag presses, thickbar benchpress training with a two inch barbell, thick handle heavy dumbell lifts I have gained strength that I am truly amazed with...Although it will not change the world I was just saying it changed the way I will train from now on.....

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Oh there's definitely merit in training heavy with some unconventional equipment; it's a great way to discover something new. I'm always up for anyone trying something new, especially something intense.

Sputnik

Sputnik

Awards
  • Established
He's got a new one called "dinosaur bodyweight training".

http://www.brookskubik.com/dinosaur_bodyweight_training.html

Now, you can become a dinosaur with nothing but bodyweight exercises. :)
If you go to the Power & Bulk forum, u will see that Brooks was trying to make a point....that anyone can advertise bullshit about new training techniques, especially a well known strength training author, and people will believe it....

Brooks actually had people prepared to pre-order or actually sent hm money I believe!

hyoogeness

Awards
I don't see a point in dismissing Dinosaur training because it's different or it's uncommon name - it's fun to do for many and can give lifters a strong strength base while letting them do stuff outside of the gym. I also second the recommendation to check out P&B - but Brooks Kubik isn't so highly respected there, at least from my reading.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
I want to do it just so when people ask me about my training I can tell them I do Dinosaur Training. Then they will be like WTF?!

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
I want to do it just so when people ask me about my training I can tell them I do Dinosaur Training. Then they will be like WTF?!
That beats the hell out of telling them you are "penguin training" ...you'd have to walk to the nearest ocean for food, come back to the gym and puke into your workout partners mouth.:blink: Meanwhile your workout partner would have to do every excercise without a spotter while holding an egg between his feet.

I don't know how Beelz does it.:toofunny:

DinoTrainer

Awards
Dinosaur training by Brooks Kubik is the greatest weight training book ever so far. The information, the history and his writing style make that book great. He says he didnt invent Dino Training. Dino training was invented by Arthur Saxon, Paul Anderson, Bruno Samartino, Bradley Steiner, John McCallum, Peary Rader, Bob Hoffman, Reg Park, Dr Ken Listner, Bob Peoples,
Vic Boff, George Hackensmidt, Harry Paschall etc etc.
Charles Poliquin once wrote that he felt his clients should use Dino Training principles if he is not around to train them.
All it is is lifting heavy and getting stronger on Squats, Overhead pressing, rows, cleans, snatches, jerks, bent presses, using thick handled barbells and dumbells, using odd objects, doing 20 rep breathing squat routines, using 5x5, using singles, partials. How can anyone say this aint the way to train.

Yeah a competitive bodybuilder needs alot more isolation work I guess. but other than them, this is the way the rest of us should be training.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Dinosaur training by Brooks Kubik is the greatest weight training book ever so far. The information, the history and his writing style make that book great. He says he didnt invent Dino Training. Dino training was invented by Arthur Saxon, Paul Anderson, Bruno Samartino, Bradley Steiner, John McCallum, Peary Rader, Bob Hoffman, Reg Park, Dr Ken Listner, Bob Peoples,
Charles Poliquin once wrote that he felt his clients should use Dino Training principles if he is not around to train them.
All it is is lifting heavy and getting stronger on Squats, Overhead pressing, rows, cleans, snatches, jerks, bent presses, using thick handled barbells and dumbells, using odd objects, doing 20 rep breathing squat routines, using 5x5, using singles, partials. How can anyone say this aint the way to train.

Yeah a competitive bodybuilder needs alot more isolation work I guess. but other than them, this is the way the rest of us should be training.
Is this Brooks? You avater is him, correct?
Well I think guys like Brooks have a point. This goes back the B's post in the anabolics section. People should find better ways to train and eat. Period. I see so many guys doing 5sets of bench, 5 sets of incline, 5 sets of decline, and then 4 sets of Cable crossovers. And then they eat 2100cals a day. And they wonder why they can't break 160lbs. :aargh: :rolleyes:
They need to focus on compond lifts and eating a good amount of food. And lastly DON"T OVER TRAIN.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

honestly it sounds like a bunch of powerlifting routines thrown into one

DinoTrainer

Awards
Is this Brooks? You avater is him, correct?
Well I think guys like Brooks have a point. This goes back the B's post in the anabolics section. People should find better ways to train and eat. Period. I see so many guys doing 5sets of bench, 5 sets of incline, 5 sets of decline, and then 4 sets of Cable crossovers. And then they eat 2100cals a day. And they wonder why they can't break 160lbs. :aargh: :rolleyes:
They need to focus on compond lifts and eating a good amount of food. And lastly DON"T OVER TRAIN.
No, I am not Brooks kubik.

DinoTrainer

Awards
honestly it sounds like a bunch of powerlifting routines thrown into one
No, it isnt a bunch of powerlifting routines thrown into one. dinosaur training is powerlifting, olympic lifting, strongman training, combat conditioning, kettlebell lifting, heavy hard grip work, etc. Dinosaur training is an title Brooks coined for these types of training. Randall Strossens Milo magazine is all about dino training, well before Brooks came out with his book.

All I can say is read the book and you'll understand that he isnt taking credit for inventing any new way of training. He pays respect back to those hard, strong old school guys that came up with dino training.

The book isnt expensive at all, $20. Even if you dont decide to train with the routines in the book, I think everyone serious into lifting weights would appreciate this book.

Luke Whippo

Awards
this is a great book!

let me say that I haven't followed one actual "routine" in this book, (I'm not big on follwoing routines anyway), I just got ideas from it.

this was one of the first books I read that opened my mind about what exercise really is, (only the first) there are others that opened it even more.

this book is very good for a drug-free trainee, this book may have several powerlifting routines combined into one, (like 5x5,singles,and rack work) but it also gets into detail about other lost exercises and talks about the old-time strongmen and gets into some odd grip training, and is very motivating, witch is top notch even if one can find most of the routines on the net.

it was one of the first books to actaully teach me how to get strong, and if your a thinker and look deep into it, one can realise what this type of training can do for longivity, training isn't just about muscle.

this book is a great start...........my review coming from a non-anabolic mind.

P.S. I don't even own a copy, I borrowed one
:)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The name Dinosaur Training is no worse then DC (Dog Crap) training. In case you're not aware of the DC system, I'm not being an @$$hole, there really is a system called Dog Crap.

I'm weary of statements like, “Some of you will literally see overnight changes in your physical development." Unless you cut off an arm, thats not a plausible statement. It sounds too much like a Muscletech add to me, but apparently the DT system is reinvigorating a lot of people's desire to exercise, and that sounds good to me. I love traditional lifting, but that's just me.

I've read a lot of positive responses about DT training. Its not for me, but big ups to people that get re-inspired to be active :head: hard for me to hate on that.

satyricon

Awards
anyone who knocks dino training is a p**SY. a wasp waist man boob pumped bicep pencil neck wuss. I love lifting weights but stuff like pumping up arms and squating 100lbs is useless to a dino trainer. we train for strength and power,we end up looking a little rougher than you Marky Mark/Brad Pitt sissies and our women love it. Plus if it came down to having to lift a car or whatever off somebody I could do it. could you?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
anyone who knocks dino training is a p**SY. a wasp waist man boob pumped bicep pencil neck wuss. I love lifting weights but stuff like pumping up arms and squating 100lbs is useless to a dino trainer. we train for strength and power,we end up looking a little rougher than you Marky Mark/Brad Pitt sissies and our women love it. Plus if it came down to having to lift a car or whatever off somebody I could do it. could you?
I don't think squatting 100lbs would help anybody.

Now are we talking moving a vehicle to the side or over head?