Deadlift weight

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Now first off I am no powerlifter for sure but I figured this fit this forum more than any others. My question is, what is a good deadlift for someone aobut 180, 12% (and bulking). I've only been doing deads for about 6 months, 3 months seriously (I did em in High School but we had a hex bar, and after that I took about 2 1/2 years off from em). Right now I'm at 335x5. My benefit is I'm only 5'9" so its a pretty short pull. No one else at my gym seems to do deads (not that I ever see anyways) so I really don't have anyone to compare to. So the real question is, is my progress good?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
looks good to me bro. probably puts you at bw x 2 which is damn good. some of the more prominent deadlifters are around bw x 3.

and yeah, you'll only see deads and proper squats with the serious guys. the rest are there for club muscles only.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
that's not bad for deads at all at your weight .. just keep working at them ... i found once i became dedicated to deads the weight i could pull just keeps increasing and increasing

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the increases have been amazing. Right now with my 4 day a week split I only hit do em once every 14 days and it seems Ive been able to keep the reps in the 4-5 range and add weight every workout. Probably my favorite exercise anymore.

drdeadlift

Awards
You are probably built to deadlift if you are increasing your weights used so consistently. At some point, you should peak to an all out single to see where you're at. You may be over 405 for a single at this point. The weight you want to get to is triple bodyweight, which puts you at 540 lbs. Start progressing your reps down and your weights up over the next few weeks and see what you can do.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Thats kinda what the plan has been every time I increase the weight lately I keep getting it up 5 times. I am going to keep increasing weight everyworkout and let the reps fall where they may.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
good plan. i stuck with a rep scheme for a while and it definately hurt my deadlift. this past go round, i just kept increasing regardless of the reps and reached my goal in no time.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
good plan. i stuck with a rep scheme for a while and it definately hurt my deadlift. this past go round, i just kept increasing regardless of the reps and reached my goal in no time.
:head: Yeah, my next goal is to get to 450lbs raw and natty (deciding on putting the new designers on hold for awhile) while 200lbs or under:woohoo: . We will see how that goes.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I completely agree with this. Once I prioritized deas I went from 315x3 to 455x3 in about 6 weeks natty. I started to train for strength more than hypertrophy so that also helped with the increase.

that's not bad for deads at all at your weight .. just keep working at them ... i found once i became dedicated to deads the weight i could pull just keeps increasing and increasing

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
IMO the best way to increase your deadlift is to hit up good mornings, hard. Both power arch and conventional.

I'm not a fan of deadlifting very frequently, mainly because I have found this is the more difficult and slower way to go up in weight. I have much gotten better results on my conventional deads from GHRs, rack deads (not too high off the floor), and good mornings. Hamstring work is HUGE!! If you really want to increase your deads stay away from the leg curl machine and stick to the SLDLs from a deficit, SLDLs, and GHRs.

Since I started training like this my raw (no straps or chalk either) deadlift has gone from 405 to 515 in 5 months. I currently weigh 180-185, but plan on competing at 165 (this is more my natural weight) within the next 6 months.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
if your goals are to pull huge weight then everything ivydude said is dead on and i would follow his advice

for me personally deads are just another exercise with the end goal to add slabs of mass to my body .. because of that i have a different view of what i want to do with deads and other exercises

neither is wrong nor better than the other ... but they will lead to different ends .. so figure out what your goals are and do what you need to in order to attain them

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
My goals are more geared towards the bodybuilding side then the huge amounts of weight. I just think it would be fun to be able to pull 450-500lbs on a dead. Deads, squats, and bench I like to be able to do heavy (sounds powerlifterish I know) but I train like a bber for about everything else. Kinda different I know, but I never plan on competing or anything, its all just for fun. This is the reason I think your split may be good for me Glen. I could hit those three hard on the days I do them, and then switch to bber mode after that.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
sounds pretty similar to my program. i base my program around the big 3 but without all the PL'er gear, suits, and **** that come with it. since i started back to training heavy again, workouts have become fun and i'm stronger/bigger than ever. bump on the GM's and rack deads suggestion. once i hit 6 plates on deads, **** came to a halt. so, i picked up GM's and 10" rack deads and full range deads started moving up again.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'll have to start throwing in rack deads and GM's a little more often. I now do them occasionally, but not regualarly. I always figured SLDL's would be the best exercise to help out deads, so I've been doing them religiously. After my class tonight (physics:trout:) I'll have to do a sitdown and figure out how I'm gonna fit all this good stuff into my workouts!

sctxms

Awards
I just got back into deadlifting aafter a 5 year layoff first time in months I am in pain from working out my back and I agree SLDL will help increase DL. I am know were near u alls weight but I am working my way back up to a respectable weight in six months are so I should be pulling 6 plates on each side I am at 4 plates and a quarter

jwarner620

Awards
335 x 5 is looking good. and goign for reps with my deadlift also slowed me down with gettign to a hgiher max. a month ago i was pulling 405 for one at 153-155. i started doing a push pull workout and would pull 335 5-6 times. i just got back into my regular routine but hopefully im either still at 405 or maybe hgher not sure. but u weigh 180 and if u max out instead of repititions you will see an increase in your max. possibly a weight you probably never thought you would ever do. good luck

nodgodbod

Awards
Back in Jan I started focusing on deads - I was deadlifting ~300lbs at the time -i started doing them consistently once a week and increasing weight whenever I could - last week I pulled 465 x 3 (bodyweight 185) - hopefully ill hit 500 in early new year. My squat went into the toilet since january though - so maybe you should focus on deadlift for 3-4 weeks and lighten off on squats and then the next 3 weeks focus on heavy squat and lighter deadlift - I know my body can't take hitting them both heavy at once

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
im at x3, i weigh 195-199 and dead 590.....just curious, what is the record ratio

waitlifter82

Awards
im at x3, i weigh 195-199 and dead 590.....just curious, what is the record ratio
I have heard that Lamar Grant has done 683 @ 132 (5.17 x bodyweight). Don't know the validity of this however

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
I have heard that Lamar Grant has done 683 @ 132 (5.17 x bodyweight). Don't know the validity of this however
ya i would have to see that before i could believe it......theres not much room (like none) for muscle mass when you weigh 132, your organs and skeleton and what not take up most of that 132

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
450+ deadlift for 1 rep w/ belt and singlet at your size/age would be good and you would most likely win most DL meets you would go to (except for national meets).

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a big fan of good mornings.

My deadlift responds best when I do it 2xs a month.

I like to keep it heavy and reps low to medium (6 max).

Focus on form.

I over worked my lower back for my last meet and that killed my dead.

I would advice judicious use of the good mornings. If you keep adding weight then keep it in your program. Otherwise just focus on heavy deads with strict form.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
try some glut ham raises, reverse hypers, and 45 degree hypers with bands to help your deadlift go up

lilman

Awards
at 165 pounds my senior year of highschool (last year) i was 17 and pulled 400 for an easy 1 rep i was doing 385x3
Currently im around 175 pounds and am pulling 365x5. So i should be past that mark alil bit anyways.. I had quit doing them for awhile anyways because of knee problems. I wanted to start doing small competitions just to see how i faired, but it didnot happen. Maybe this will give ya a decent idea where u stand. Peace

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Pulled 405x1 today so some of you guys were spot on with your guesses. That was definately the max today though, though I might herniate :icon_lol: . Not quite what I wanted but was the minimum I was going for. I'll take it....for now!

Danl4560

Awards
I do heavy deads once a week (1-3 RM) and have made excellent gains from that in the past 6 months or so. I never go above 3 reps on heavy DL's, reason being is I get tired, and my form starts to **** the bed. Hamstring work is essential, but not so much good mornings, IMO. SLDL's from a defecit are great for helping you get the weight up off the floor (assuming you can do this with perfect form.) I currently pull 520x1 raw at around 175lbs, which puts me at 5lbs under 3xBW.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
i pulled 520 raw at 215 fat and thought i was doing good.
that is a pretty good pull for anyone much more so from a 175er

good job man

gimli197

Awards
grip

I weigh about 205 and i pull about 450x1. I have a real problem with my grip. Is there anything "special" i can do to help with my grip. I think that if i had a better grip i could pull over 500.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
static holds, plate pinches......and use chalk. and a bar with grip still left on it.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i can hold 5 plates for a few reps now. it's catching up. haven't even used chalk yet, it's on the way. that should help drastically. i'm still using straps for sets over 3 reps. dead power has improved, got 495 for 8 last week (with straps). just gotta catch that grip up.

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
try doing hook grip too, it hurts like a bitch in the beginning, but that's how most of the big boys pull, i finally got it

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
http://www.sini.co.uk/strength/articles/Grips%20Explained.pdf

under your two fingers, check out the picture, it HURTS when you first start up, so when you first try it, only start with 135 and work your way up, then do static hold 2xs a week till you get it, plus warm up with hook as much as you can till it hurts too bad. that's what a friend of mine(ex you know him) told me to do and it works fine. but i'm warning you, it hurts in the beginning

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
oh, and now that i do it this way, it feels a ton better than over under

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
so, both hands are over with this grip? according to that link, you can use hook grip with over/under grip. sounds like that would give the most grip advantage. i'll try both and start working em. i've been doing over/under closed grip thinking that was the optimal way. thanks for that link brudda. points for ya :)

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hook grip is really only for double overhand, check out any pictures of steve googins, you'll see him with a hook grip double overhand. i didnt even knwo you could do hook grip w/ over under. plus if you do hook grip with both over it's less strain and feels a lot better on the back, not as twisted

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
fair enough, i'll give it a try. thanks again for the pics.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
gave it a fair shake today. **** hurts, lol. got up to 225, my thumbs were not happy. switched back to my over/under and finished up the statics at 515 for 16 seconds. i figure i'll use em to work up in weight with for now until that thumb pain subsides.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to improve my deadlift as well, right now I get 465 for 7 but my bodyweight is 235. I would like to get 600 for 6 eventually as i squat that for 9. I think my biggest issue is my form I tend to use my lower back too much intead of driving more with my legs and hips.

Danl4560

Awards
I'm trying to improve my deadlift as well, right now I get 465 for 7 but my bodyweight is 235. I would like to get 600 for 6 eventually as i squat that for 9. I think my biggest issue is my form I tend to use my lower back too much intead of driving more with my legs and hips.
Sounds like your hips are rising too early in the lift.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i've got the same problem. hips pop up too fast and damn near do a SLDL. gotta work on that somehow.

Danl4560

Awards
i've got the same problem. hips pop up too fast and damn near do a SLDL. gotta work on that somehow.
I had the same issue a while ago, but with some work on keeping my shoulders as far behind the bar as possible at the starting position, it seemed to go away.