Bench 1 rep max?

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to be starting WSB method here in 2 weeks, and don't actually have a clue what my bench max is. I know I could go to the gym and find out, but next week is going to a a rest/running week (football speed drills) and this week I won't be around a gym, going home for thanksgiving.

Just some roundabout numbers, at the combine I participated at today, I put up 225 25 times. At the end of my workouts I can normally put up 315 maybe 3 or 4 times. My normal bench routine is 135 to warmup, 225x15, 275x10, 315x3-4. Plz help :think:

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would shoot for 340lbs. I'm sure you can do more than that but if your not use to doing one rep maxes then its probably best to go light. I would warm up 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95 percent. The 50 for 5 reps, 60 for 3, 70 for 2, and all the rest for 1. If you bang out the 330 easy then wait 5 minutes and go for 350.

I

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
If you're getting 315 3 or 4 times, 335 or 345 should come pretty easily.

When I test my 1 RM, I do something somewhat similar to my ME bench day, but less volume and sets. For instance, in testing my 1 RM, I'll do probably 2-3 sets at 3 reps (increasing weight every set of course), and then 1-3 sets at 1 rep (depending on how I feel) before going for my max. This works well in not over-taxing my body before the lift. How my body feels/reacts to sets pretty much determines the volume.

I would suggest some variation of this template for you:
135- 3 reps
225- 3 reps
275- 3 reps
315- 1 rep
335- 1 rep
345- 1 rep (if you hit this, go higher. This may every well be the case. I know someone that puts up 395 who only gets 315 for about 5.) Depending on how your body adjusts to the weight, you may also want to omit the set of 225 and jump right to 275.

Good luck with the westside training. I'm glad to see someone else on this board giving it a go! Feel free to pm me any questions you have.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
R

RedSwan78

Board Supporter
Awards
I'm not quite sure how that accurate that is, because I put in the 225 I did 25 times at that football combine, and it put me around 390ish :lol:
Well, like all calcs of this nature, they are more precise when you put in LOWER numbers.. 25 reps is alot ;) But you know, like I said, you very well could do 390. If you do 225x15, and then 275x10, and THEN 315x4, your using up alot of your strength before you get to your main set there. Here's a great warm-up article written by Iron Addict: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404

That having been said, I really like that calc I gave. I've found it to be almost DEAD ON for all of my lifts! (within about 5 pounds) :)

X

xaktsaroth

Awards
WOW, how do i increase my bench? Usually i can only bench around 200 lbs for 5 reps, and then my shoulder would feel sore afterwards. So i usually do the flat bench dumbbells instead of the bench.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
WOW, how do i increase my bench? Usually i can only bench around 200 lbs for 5 reps, and then my shoulder would feel sore afterwards. So i usually do the flat bench dumbbells instead of the bench.
Try MaxOT

G

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
check your form and do rotator work

P

powerlifter6920

I'm not quite sure how that accurate that is, because I put in the 225 I did 25 times at that football combine, and it put me around 390ish :lol:

Things can start to get really skewed in my opinion when figuring your 1RM if your going past 10 reps. I've known guys that were great high reppers, but lacked that 1RM strength they were supposed to have given the calculations.

C

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
I don't know **** compared to these other guys...but I once had HORRIBLE shoulder trouble with the barbell bench press. I did the external and internal rotations and all of that...didn't help MUCH.

Started doing band pull-aparts as a warmup and again after the workout (heavier) and I'm benching up near my max damn near pain free.

Just try a band pull-apart and see how it feels...when I did it the first time I could just tell that this was something I needed to strengthen to help with my problems. Try with your hands down near your waist, then try it with your arms parallel with the floor...find the spot that bothers you the most and work it starting out light and gradually moving up.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've always lived by that if you can do a bench for 3 reps you can do about 30-35 pounds more for a one rep max.

It's almost always worked to the exact figure over the past 4 years i've put it to use. Just old gym myth but it seems to hold true.