Redemption: My workout log up to my next two comps

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I have decided to make a journal leading up to my next comp or 2 (depending on if I decide to do Ron Palmer's Charity meet). This is how my workouts are split up:

Mon: rest
Tues: Chest (light), tri's (heavy)
Wed: Back, bi's
Thurs: delts, tri's (light)
Fri: Legs
Sat: rest
Sun: Chest (heavy), tri's (heavy)

I plan on attacking my triceps (my weakest point), all of my pressing exercises will be done with a close grip. I will follow this workout program until the begining of the new year. I will update this as often as possible, but can't promise every day updates though due to my school schedule. My planned meet(s) are Dec. 10th in Freemont, OH and possibly Dec. 18th in Indy. I will be going for over 800lbs at both meets. From now until my comps I will be working with my new RageX and my new Black Denim (it's great being sponsored by Inzer) and seeing which one will work the best for me. I will post my weights for every update and will also put in what shirt I wore (in case anyone cares). I will redeem myself from my last meet and hit 800+ before the new year.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Chest (all raw)
Flat bench:
315 x 5
405 x 5
500 x 5
610 x 2

Incline bench
315 x 5
405 x 5
500 x 3
525 x 1

Triceps
Rope press downs
150 x 10
200 x 10 x 3 sets

Medial head presses (hard to describe and really don't have a name)
100's x 8 x 4 sets

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
hmm ... it seems your benching is finally catching up to mine ..:think:

primetimerg

primetimerg

Awards
Holy Hell...

When you say 610 x 2; are you talking pounds? lol, just kidding. You are an official Man Child!

Chest (all raw)
Flat bench:
315 x 5
405 x 5
500 x 5
610 x 2

Incline bench
315 x 5
405 x 5
500 x 3
525 x 1

Triceps
Rope press downs
150 x 10
200 x 10 x 3 sets

100's x 8 x 4 sets

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Actually I didn't go as heavy as I had planned, I am still recovering from being sick and felt weak (especially my triceps, but I think thats from overtraining them leading up to my last comp).

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
:clap2: Keep it up, and the Goal will Be Achieved !!!:thumbsup:

BiggerNstronger

Awards
Actually I didn't go as heavy as I had planned, I am still recovering from being sick and felt weak (especially my triceps, but I think thats from overtraining them leading up to my last comp).
Your working them 3 times a week NOW and you think you may have overtrained them BEFORE???? You know this, but muscles grow/get stronger while at REST, not in the gym. You know your bod better than I do of course...good luck and GO FOR IT!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
DAMN Bro.

I don't know how I have missed your posts in the past unless that is a new avatar. I read where you said you were going for 800 in your next meet and I just figured a bench, squat and dead meet and I though hmmmmmmmm He aint too strong for looking so big in his avatar.

Then I see you mean 800 in FREAKING BENCH ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :)

Very nice!

BTW nice rep points for so few posts let me in on the secret lol

Best of luck to ya man.

CROWLER

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Back

Rack pulls 10" off ground
405x5
500x5
600x1
705x1
805x1

Close grip pull downs
200x10 (warm up)
400x10x4sets

Wide grip pulldowns
400x10x3sets

bentover rows
315x10x3sets
335x10

Didn't get a chance to get to biceps, will do them tomorrow with delts and triceps.

Last edited:
NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Your working them 3 times a week NOW and you think you may have overtrained them BEFORE???? You know this, but muscles grow/get stronger while at REST, not in the gym. You know your bod better than I do of course...good luck and GO FOR IT!
Now I am going light on one of the days instead of all three, lol. My strength usually increases when I work a muscle heavy more than once a week, but apparently 3 is too many. On my light tricep day I am just going to get some blood to the muscle and work on isolating the medial head.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are your lifts for Deads, and squat?

Your bench is just insane.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i know exactly what you mean bro. last time i hit 610 raw on bench, i remember thinking 'damn, i'm such a pussy'. :ntome:

workouts are insane brudda. moving weight that i dream of. haven't seen you around MMI much lately. these workout logss would be great appreciated over there.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
i know exactly what you mean bro. last time i hit 610 raw on bench, i remember thinking 'damn, i'm such a pussy'. :ntome:

workouts are insane brudda. moving weight that i dream of. haven't seen you around MMI much lately. these workout logss would be great appreciated over there.
Will copy and paste it over there. Yeah I have been MIA from most boards, damn inorganic chemistry is kicking my ass.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
What are your lifts for Deads, and squat?

Your bench is just insane.
Most I have ever deadlifted with just a belt is 750, squat with just a belt and knee wraps is 850. That is all pre screwed up knee.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Most I have ever deadlifted with just a belt is 750, squat with just a belt and knee wraps is 850. That is all pre screwed up knee.
what screwed up your knee?

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
what screwed up your knee?
My dad thought I would make a good roofer, so I tried it and ended up turning my knee and sliding down my roof. Meniscus is all screwed up, looks like swiss cheese. I have to have knee surgery sometime, but I am a total pussy when it comes to needles, scalpels, or anything else used to penetrate my body, lol.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
My dad thought I would make a good roofer, so I tried it and ended up turning my knee and sliding down my roof. Meniscus is all screwed up, looks like swiss cheese. I have to have knee surgery sometime, but I am a total pussy when it comes to needles, scalpels, or anything else used to penetrate my body, lol.
damn bro. hopefully a surgery would fix it. squatting 850 with a belt/wraps is impressive as ****. you've got some incredible genetics, and not just for bench. get that damn thing fixed and you'd shatter some more records.

how were your knees from heavy squatting, pre-injury? any probs?

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
damn bro. hopefully a surgery would fix it. squatting 850 with a belt/wraps is impressive as ****. you've got some incredible genetics, and not just for bench. get that damn thing fixed and you'd shatter some more records.

how were your knees from heavy squatting, pre-injury? any probs?
Bad patellar tendonitis before the injury due to not even wearing knee wraps for a long time, but thats about it. My family is full of guys with bad knees, of course we are all big athletic people. I think years of sports and weighing over 250 since my sophomore year of HS helped a lot with the tendonitis (causing it that is).

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have the same issues with my knees, and my shoulder. I do not have time right now for the surgery it would set me back too far. I'm sure I will regret when I am older, but hell I am having way too much fun.

Looks like you and I have similar strength in the squat and dead department. You got me beat on bench, by far.;)

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I have the same issues with my knees, and my shoulder. I do not have time right now for the surgery it would set me back too far. I'm sure I will regret when I am older, but hell I am having way too much fun.

Looks like you and I have similar strength in the squat and dead department. You got me beat on bench, by far.;)
I know, I don't want to have the surgery either. I am having a lot of fun getting my bench and other upper body lifts as high as I can right now, but I also know that I have take care of my knees so when I have kids I can play with them.

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
Now I am going light on one of the days instead of all three, lol. My strength usually increases when I work a muscle heavy more than once a week, but apparently 3 is too many. On my light tricep day I am just going to get some blood to the muscle and work on isolating the medial head.
I actually use to hit tris 3X a week also.Changed it up now to Twice.Whatever works for you though!I know you will hit your goal this time bro!Keep hitting it HARD!Eat a few of these every day too:burger: .
Im hungry!:food:
Can u tell?:toofunny:

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Delts
Upright rows
135 x 10
225 x 10 x 4

BB Shoulder press
225x10
315x8x2sets
405x2
425x1

Arnold Presses
100's x 10 x 4sets

Triceps
Rope press downs
150 x 15 x 4

Skull crushers
225 x 10 x 4

skipped biceps again today, I really hate doing bi's..lol. I suppose I can do them tomorrow after legs

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Delts
Upright rows
135 x 10
225 x 10 x 4

BB Shoulder press
225x10
315x8x2sets
405x2
425x1

Arnold Presses
100's x 10 x 4sets

Triceps
Rope press downs
150 x 15 x 4

Skull crushers
225 x 10 x 4

skipped biceps again today, I really hate doing bi's..lol. I suppose I can do them tomorrow after legs
My God.:jaw:

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
My shoulders, chest, and back are crazy strong. My triceps and biceps are my weak points on upper body. My calves are my weak point on lower body, they are puny (sp?).

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I actually use to hit tris 3X a week also.Changed it up now to Twice.Whatever works for you though!I know you will hit your goal this time bro!Keep hitting it HARD!Eat a few of these every day too:burger: .
Im hungry!:food:
Can u tell?:toofunny:
I def agree with your diet advice, lol.

If anyone has any questions about my training or how I perform my lifts feel free to ask.

Last edited:
NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Legs

squats
315 x 5
405 x 5
455 x 20

Walking lunges (BB)
225 x length of the basketball court and back

Stiff legged deads
315 x 10 x 3

I didn't go very heavy on squats today, wanted to see how the knees were feeling and if they could take the weight without causing massive amounts of pain. They felt decent, but did begin to hurt a little 1/2 way through the lunges so I put on some compression sleeves. I will see how they feel later on tonight, lol.

PIOTREK

PIOTREK

Awards
Nice log Nick. I was wondering, how deep do usually go with heavy squats. Are you a believer that ATG squats are necessary? Thanks.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I go to paralell, I don't think my knees could take ATG squats.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Chest (all raw)
Flat bench:
315 x 5
405 x 5
500 x 5
610 x 2

Incline bench
315 x 5
405 x 5
500 x 3
525 x 1

Triceps
Rope press downs
150 x 10
200 x 10 x 3 sets

100's x 8 x 4 sets
If you ever need a job I can get you one RERAILING trains. Wouldn`t need a jack with you around!

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
My legs are in horrible pain today, which makes me wonder how bad they will hurt tomorrow, lol

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
My legs are in horrible pain today, which makes me wonder how bad they will hurt tomorrow, lol
that's what you get for 455 x 20. serves you right goliath. :rasp:

:thumbsup:

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
lol, I guess that would be true. I just need to get used to doing squats again. Right now I am just a big mangina, lol.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Got a new goal for squats next week, I just read that Tom Platz did 500 for 23 reps, so I am going to go for 24. I know this is rather ambitious but I am going for it!

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
well, seeing that you did 600 and something for 20 reps at one point, i don't see it being that hard.

oh, how i really hate you :)

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Beelze, it will be hard but not due to the weight...high reps are what kill me lol. You will be doing this much weight or more once you put your mind toward it.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
hoping to get there one day bro. as mentioned previously, you're in a different class of lifting.

genetically engineered - elephant + buffalo = NickW :)

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
you're phenomenal dude. would any of the joint support supps help at all? i couldn't believe how well cissus/celadrin worked for my elbow.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Chest/tri's

4 board press with purple bands
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1
365x1x6 sets (90 secs rest between sets)
405x1
455x1
495x1
505x1
510x1
515x1
520x1

These were all done close grip, forcing my elbows in (something I never do), and pushing the weight towards my feet. George is having me do these to work the medial head of my triceps. He says thats the only way I will ever achieve my ultimate goal of holding the SHW WR in the bench. The weight wasn't that heavy (compared to what I normally do) but I am not used to keeping it all in my triceps, I usually flare my arms and use my delts to push and beat the weight with speed. I am still a little sick, can't breathe through my nose, broke a ton of blood vessels in my face.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
you're phenomenal dude. would any of the joint support supps help at all? i couldn't believe how well cissus/celadrin worked for my elbow.
Its not my joints that hurt, its my muscles themselves. I haven't squatted in a LONG time. My knees do hurt some, but that is due to a shitty miniscus, lol.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
UMMM

:box:

Is there really anything else I can say?!

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Bench (all raw again, not enough people to spot me)
315x5
405x5
515x5
610x1
635x1
655x1
660x miss, liftoff guy dropped left side before letting go of right, still got it over halfway up

Incline bench
405x5
505x5
525x2
540x2

I didn't do triceps today, not enough time due to having to write a paper for European History. I got 655 easy as hell today, thought 660 would be easy also but got it dropped on me (well one side) and was too far out of groove to get it back to where it needed to be. Everything seemed pretty easy today, definately getting stronger. I hope to be doing 700 raw before the Arnold, if I achieve this goal I will be demonstrating it at the Designer Supplements booth. I will be demonstrating my raw strength anyways, but I would be happier if I achieve my goal first.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Beelze, don't worry about my strength on bench, you could kick my ass in raw DL anytime (I have shitty grip strength and thick hands) I have to use straps to go heavy.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
hell, after 5 plates, i'm using straps too bro. i still consider in raw though. it ain't helping me pull the weight up, just helps me hold on for dear life. :)

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
hell, after 5 plates, i'm using straps too bro. i still consider in raw though. it ain't helping me pull the weight up, just helps me hold on for dear life. :)
Yeah, I know what you mean. They don't help lift but without them I would only be doing 5 plates and for only a couple reps.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey Nick-

Your raw bench is unbelievable. I was wondering what type of weight you use on dynamic bench day, if you use different grips during your sets on dynamic bench, and what type of rep/set scheme you use (i.e. 8 sets, 3 reps, 35 s. between, etc.).

I always felt people put too much weight on with dynamic bench and that it should be around 40-45% (or even less) of your 1 RM. Your insight is much appreciated.

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Hey Nick-

Your raw bench is unbelievable. I was wondering what type of weight you use on dynamic bench day, if you use different grips during your sets on dynamic bench, and what type of rep/set scheme you use (i.e. 8 sets, 3 reps, 35 s. between, etc.).

I always felt people put too much weight on with dynamic bench and that it should be around 40-45% (or even less) of your 1 RM. Your insight is much appreciated.
On DE day I go with 275 + purple bands. I do 8 sets of three reps, alternating grip every three sets. I use medium grip (pinkies on rings), close grip (about 2" closer in on each side), and then switch back to medium grip. I used to go wide on my last set but now I am focusing much more on my tricep strength througout the press.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
On DE day I go with 275 + purple bands. I do 8 sets of three reps, alternating grip every three sets. I use medium grip (pinkies on rings), close grip (about 2" closer in on each side), and then switch back to medium grip. I used to go wide on my last set but now I am focusing much more on my tricep strength througout the press.
Thanks for the quick response! I use the same scheme except for switching back to medium grip...maybe that's the key to my 600 raw bench!