Redemption: My workout log up to my next two comps

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. God almighty.

2. Quote Originally Posted by NickW
    My legs are in horrible pain today, which makes me wonder how bad they will hurt tomorrow, lol
    that's what you get for 455 x 20. serves you right goliath.

•   

3. lol, I guess that would be true. I just need to get used to doing squats again. Right now I am just a big mangina, lol.

4. Got a new goal for squats next week, I just read that Tom Platz did 500 for 23 reps, so I am going to go for 24. I know this is rather ambitious but I am going for it!

5. well, seeing that you did 600 and something for 20 reps at one point, i don't see it being that hard.

oh, how i really hate you
    •   

6. Thanks Beelze, it will be hard but not due to the weight...high reps are what kill me lol. You will be doing this much weight or more once you put your mind toward it.

7. hoping to get there one day bro. as mentioned previously, you're in a different class of lifting.

genetically engineered - elephant + buffalo = NickW

8. you're phenomenal dude. would any of the joint support supps help at all? i couldn't believe how well cissus/celadrin worked for my elbow.

9. Chest/tri's

4 board press with purple bands
    135x3
    185x3
    225x3
    275x3
    315x1
    365x1x6 sets (90 secs rest between sets)
    405x1
    455x1
    495x1
    505x1
    510x1
    515x1
    520x1

These were all done close grip, forcing my elbows in (something I never do), and pushing the weight towards my feet. George is having me do these to work the medial head of my triceps. He says thats the only way I will ever achieve my ultimate goal of holding the SHW WR in the bench. The weight wasn't that heavy (compared to what I normally do) but I am not used to keeping it all in my triceps, I usually flare my arms and use my delts to push and beat the weight with speed. I am still a little sick, can't breathe through my nose, broke a ton of blood vessels in my face.

10. Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp
    you're phenomenal dude. would any of the joint support supps help at all? i couldn't believe how well cissus/celadrin worked for my elbow.
    Its not my joints that hurt, its my muscles themselves. I haven't squatted in a LONG time. My knees do hurt some, but that is due to a ****ty miniscus, lol.

11. UMMM

Is there really anything else I can say?!

12. Bench (all raw again, not enough people to spot me)
    315x5
    405x5
    515x5
    610x1
    635x1
    655x1
    660x miss, liftoff guy dropped left side before letting go of right, still got it over halfway up

Incline bench
    405x5
    505x5
    525x2
    540x2

I didn't do triceps today, not enough time due to having to write a paper for European History. I got 655 easy as hell today, thought 660 would be easy also but got it dropped on me (well one side) and was too far out of groove to get it back to where it needed to be. Everything seemed pretty easy today, definately getting stronger. I hope to be doing 700 raw before the Arnold, if I achieve this goal I will be demonstrating it at the Designer Supplements booth. I will be demonstrating my raw strength anyways, but I would be happier if I achieve my goal first.

13. keep rubbing it in, eh?

14. Beelze, don't worry about my strength on bench, you could kick my ass in raw DL anytime (I have ****ty grip strength and thick hands) I have to use straps to go heavy.

15. hell, after 5 plates, i'm using straps too bro. i still consider in raw though. it ain't helping me pull the weight up, just helps me hold on for dear life.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    hell, after 5 plates, i'm using straps too bro. i still consider in raw though. it ain't helping me pull the weight up, just helps me hold on for dear life.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. They don't help lift but without them I would only be doing 5 plates and for only a couple reps.

17. Hey Nick-

Your raw bench is unbelievable. I was wondering what type of weight you use on dynamic bench day, if you use different grips during your sets on dynamic bench, and what type of rep/set scheme you use (i.e. 8 sets, 3 reps, 35 s. between, etc.).

I always felt people put too much weight on with dynamic bench and that it should be around 40-45% (or even less) of your 1 RM. Your insight is much appreciated.

18. Quote Originally Posted by ivydude
    Hey Nick-

Your raw bench is unbelievable. I was wondering what type of weight you use on dynamic bench day, if you use different grips during your sets on dynamic bench, and what type of rep/set scheme you use (i.e. 8 sets, 3 reps, 35 s. between, etc.).

I always felt people put too much weight on with dynamic bench and that it should be around 40-45% (or even less) of your 1 RM. Your insight is much appreciated.
    On DE day I go with 275 + purple bands. I do 8 sets of three reps, alternating grip every three sets. I use medium grip (pinkies on rings), close grip (about 2" closer in on each side), and then switch back to medium grip. I used to go wide on my last set but now I am focusing much more on my tricep strength througout the press.

19. **** dude you are definately gifted

20. Quote Originally Posted by NickW
    On DE day I go with 275 + purple bands. I do 8 sets of three reps, alternating grip every three sets. I use medium grip (pinkies on rings), close grip (about 2" closer in on each side), and then switch back to medium grip. I used to go wide on my last set but now I am focusing much more on my tricep strength througout the press.
    Thanks for the quick response! I use the same scheme except for switching back to medium grip...maybe that's the key to my 600 raw bench!

21. Quote Originally Posted by ivydude
    Thanks for the quick response! I use the same scheme except for switching back to medium grip...maybe that's the key to my 600 raw bench!
    I think it helps, but the first time I hit 600 raw all I did was high weight and low reps. I actually haven't been doing too much DE work in the last couple weeks and have been making my progress off just lifting heavy. The bands defiantely will help, just don't forget to do your raw lifting heavy and eat a ton afterwards. The biggest key lately has probly been my all the tricep work I have been doing.

22. Quote Originally Posted by NickW
    I think it helps, but the first time I hit 600 raw all I did was high weight and low reps. I actually haven't been doing too much DE work in the last couple weeks and have been making my progress off just lifting heavy. The bands defiantely will help, just don't forget to do your raw lifting heavy and eat a ton afterwards. The biggest key lately has probly been my all the tricep work I have been doing.
    Agreed about the tricep work influencing the bench. My bench always goes up after my weighted dips go up. Heavy JM presses also seem to really help my bench. My experience with westside has always been that when one of the primary lifts is lagging or at plateau, the supplemental work is the key to breaking through. I'd be confident your extra tricep work is going to be the difference in boosting the bench.

Heavy BB rows for low reps also seem to help my bench-especially with barbell placement on my chest.

23. nick, what kinda bands, jump-stretch?

24. Yep Beelze

25. thinking about investing in some of em. might take a while to get used to, adjusting poundages and stuff.

26. It takes a while to get used to balancing the bar with those ****ers on it, lol. The first time I ever used them it looked like I had parkinsons or something.

No workout tonight, ate something bad at the union and feel sick to my stomach.
  27. tattoopierced1

we use chains at our gym...i assume bands do the same thing? what is the difference/benefit to using bands over chains if any?

28. fairly similar, bands are just better at building speed and they continue to add resistance all the way up, where chains stop adding resistance once they are completely off the floor.

29. unless you had some long ass chains, no?
  30. tattoopierced1

they are very long chains.... we have a few ranging from 30-60lbs each
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My first log thanks to AI Sports Nutrition "Stoked"!!
    By mnowak1228 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
  2. Big Ups To My NP Crew
    By custom in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
  3. Follow up to my R4W warning
    By MMALOVER in forum Get Diesel Nutrition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
  4. Replies: 12