What do you eat before a PL meet?

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
Ok weigh in is 8am-9am then lifting starts at 10am.
Whats would you eat after weigh in?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
I would focus on carbs mainly, make sure everything you eat is easily digestable and wont upset your stomach, dont know if you will be very nervous at all, but a combo of nerves and food that isnt easily digested is not a good combo. I am weighing in the night before, so in the morning I will probably go to village inn and hit up some pancakes and eggs. What I am going to bring to the meet to eat is bananas, those Nature Valley granola bars, and a bunch of gatorade and water.

We should have some ammonia caps with us, so if you want a wiff or two before your attempts you are more than welcome to it:) I just need to focus on keeping myself calm before saturday, I have a problem with thinking about it too much and getting all psyched up, then it comes time to perform and I am wore out from getting so fired up lol. I really hope they have a sound system set up there with some good tunes playing.

Best of luck to ya Mrskullcrusher, its gonna be a good time!!

itgds69

Awards
We try to weigh in the night before and head out to eat sushi right after. The soy sauce helps us tie on a bloat. The morning of, we eat a huge breakfast...lots of bacon, pancakes, milk, eggs, biscuits and gravy, etc. I personally like to eat steak and eggs with a side of french toast, two huge glasses of milk and some coffee with lots of cream and sugar. Lots of pedialyte and snack bars to eat during the day.

Oh yes, ammonia inhalants are a must. For your next meet since there's no time to order it now, you should get some Nose Tork from Monster Muscle. Shake up the little bottle, open it up, and take a huge whiff before you step on the platform. Had a guy literally bury his nose in it one time he was so intense....left little blisters on the tip for awhile. LOL :lol:

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
LOL, the first time I ever used ammonia caps, I had no idea how strong they were, now I grew up on a farm and have had my fair share of experience of farming with anhydrous ammonia and have got some pretty strong hits of that that about dropped be, but anyways, I am at my first meet walking up to the platform, my partner slams the bottle of nose tork right up to my nose and I am all fired up so I take a huge snort of it....holy **** I about fell over lol, I couldnt hardly see straight and my brain was just fogged over, learned from that experience!! Im going to have some ammonia there that skullcrusher can borrow.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Good idea on really upping sodium intake to get that nice water retention going itdgs69!

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
Thanks NateDawg for the offer but i got some already!
Im getting Nose tork next time though!LOL!I think the plan
is for us to weigh in listen to the instructions and head out
to eat a quick but good size breakfast.
:food:
Oatmeal & pancakes and eggs
sound good 2 me!Nothing to greasy or i will get SICK!Not so
nervous this time around but the others in my crew are getting
nervous (i think).This will be their first time entering a contest.
I am getting very Hype though!
:head:

itgds69

Awards
My first meet, I puked right before benching. Once I got my eggs and hashbrowns out, I felt so much better. Got fired up, stepped onto the platform to Rammstein's Du Hast, and hit my first 285. Ahhhh....nothing better than taking a nice dump, puking the overflow in the belly, taking a nice whiff of nose tork and hitting those weights to some good ole heavy metal blaring from the speakers. ;)

Good luck tomorrow! Lift big and bring home some PR's.

Don't know if you've seen this video or not, but I love watching it.
http://home.online.no/~janbagg/IntroToPlDirectorsCut.wmv

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
donuts are the best pre comp food, I always lift better with a lot of simple sugars in me.

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
donuts are the best pre comp food, I always lift better with a lot of simple sugars in me.
REALLY??You are serious?

Krispy Kremes Here i come:food: :lol:

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
dead serious, Becca Swanson eats all sorts of junk food before lifting also. You want to get in a good meal a couple hours before the meet starts, then about 1-1.5 hrs before the comp starts I start downing the donuts. It doesn't have to be donuts, it could be anything with plenty of simple sugars, I just go for what I like. I like to keep the food (and liquids, gotta stay hydrated) coming until about the middle of the flight right before mine.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I like gatorade, bananas and yogurt, not for any particular reason.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I eat oatmeal (with lots of honey) and eggs.

As much as I can stomach and not feel overly bloated.

I eat cookies, protein bars and more oatmeal during the meet.

Caffeine tabs are a must as well.

I'm never tried ammonia caps but I will look into that.

CrimsonOsiris

Board Supporter
Awards
well, i def have to ask...

what in the world does the ammonia sniffing do for you before the lift?

is it purely psychological, or is there actually some sort of physiological benefit?

i throw shotput, hammer, and the 35 pound weight (coach said no more discus, im too big haha), and it is all about hopping in the circle, and having a one time massive explosion of power. this ammonia idea make me curious...

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I've never seen any benefit in it, but some people think it makes them more alert.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
i used to eat choclate chip pancakes :) yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
well, i def have to ask...

what in the world does the ammonia sniffing do for you before the lift?

is it purely psychological, or is there actually some sort of physiological benefit?

i throw shotput, hammer, and the 35 pound weight (coach said no more discus, im too big haha), and it is all about hopping in the circle, and having a one time massive explosion of power. this ammonia idea make me curious...
Like it says at house of pain (when you look under ammonia to buy) if you have to ask Dont order it!LOL!!Just joking of course.....
It really hleps me focus & hype me up!Clears the mind & helps ME focus.

MrSkullCrusher

Awards
dead serious, Becca Swanson eats all sorts of junk food before lifting also. You want to get in a good meal a couple hours before the meet starts, then about 1-1.5 hrs before the comp starts I start downing the donuts. It doesn't have to be donuts, it could be anything with plenty of simple sugars, I just go for what I like. I like to keep the food (and liquids, gotta stay hydrated) coming until about the middle of the flight right before mine.
By the way Thanks 2 everyone for help on what to eat too.Last 2 meets i did i was so nervous i hardly ate anything!
This meet I weighed in and then chowed down.Pretty Calm until it came time to lift.
Before lifting i had a snickers too & drank gatorade.I dont know why but
the Ammonia helps me some.Got me hyped up!Everyone said my lifts went up alot easier after taking a hit.
Didnt do it everytime just on the last 2 lifts on Bench & Deads.