Natural deadlifter! Got bench?

ballzasteel

Awards
I have always had a good deadlift partly because of my long ass arms, but this puts a kink in my bench performance. Has anyone else had this problem and overcome it? What helped? I train westside style so does anyone have any tips on assistance exercises that help?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
arch as much as possible, and bring the bar low.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Hey Ex, you got any tips on how to get better at building a good arch? I cant for the life of me get any arch, my hip flexors cramp up terrible if I try and bring my feet up under me, let alone I dont feel any stability when I am on the balls of my feet. My back doesnt seem to have much flexibility to it either. Is just alot of stretching and practice all that can be done for getting a good arch? Thanks.

Ichidan

Awards
I am about 6'2, 275 and have a 705 deadlift and a 556 bench, and i train westside. I am by no means a great bencher, but in order to help my arch i really focused on the setup as well as flexibility in the hips and calves. Try putting a board or peice of foam under your back and use a larger peice as you become more flexible. Also realize that you must be a fast bencher. Guys like us with long arms cannot grind the whole rep, it is too much of a range of motion so be fast! Good luck.

ballzasteel

Awards
I appreciate the tips. I have incorporated cycles with the mini bands on speed days, but I have not determined if it is helping yet. Next step is to work on getting a bigger arch.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hey Ex, you got any tips on how to get better at building a good arch? I cant for the life of me get any arch, my hip flexors cramp up terrible if I try and bring my feet up under me, let alone I dont feel any stability when I am on the balls of my feet. My back doesnt seem to have much flexibility to it either. Is just alot of stretching and practice all that can be done for getting a good arch? Thanks.
You need hip and back flexibility to get the big arch. I work the arch height by really focusing on pushing my stomach up as much as possible while benching - that works for me.

ballzasteel

Awards
Thanks. I have just started experimenting with a wider foot placement lately. that link helps a lot.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is the arch only for powerlifters? It looks to me like it is just making flat bench into decline bench so more weight can be moved. From a bodybuilding stand point (ie not caring about your PR) is it better to train bench flat backed or arched? If arched, why not just do decline instead?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Is the arch only for powerlifters? It looks to me like it is just making flat bench into decline bench so more weight can be moved. From a bodybuilding stand point (ie not caring about your PR) is it better to train bench flat backed or arched? If arched, why not just do decline instead?
The arch also puts you in a more stable position than flat back benching. The more stable your position the less effort is wasted stabilizing the weight and the more you can put into pushing the weight.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Always have a little arch for shoulder support and stabilization...you don't need to get a competitive PL type arch, however :)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I tried the arching and it made more of a difference than I could have imagined. I really like the way it supports the shoulders and my heavier sets felt like warmups. I've always thought of arching as cheating in a way since you don't have to bring down the bar as far, but it worked my pecs better than usual.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just wanted to post a follow-up. I used the arch for my last two bench sessions and I will definately be sticking with it! I feel a lot more stable and more like a "machine" than a flimsy human ;)