Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    From what I hear, Beelze already has a "really short 'stroke'"

tis true. i compensate with arm size and a big truck.

anyhoo, here is a powerlifting/bodybuilding board i frequent that has a bunch of videos of members performing their lifts. one of the mods has a vid of him doing a 425 raw bench and it looks like he's doing all the same **** ya'll are talking about. check it out and see if this is kinda **** i should be doing. http://www.massmuscleinc.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6651

kwy, you're already a member there little fella.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

sho iz ain't i?
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    alright, i was just looking at the competition homepage for the one i plan to do. it says a singlet is required for everyone. does that mean the raw lifters too? on the form, it says to declare whether you're doing 'raw' or 'assisted', then at the bottom it says everyone needs a singlet. so wtf?

and yeah ant, i need some tips for the bench. it's a push/pull meet so squats are out. i can probably get up to 600 or more by competition day in mid-october for the dead. but i've always been adjusted to benching for size and not for strength, elbows out and all that jazz. any tips for bench numbers? i'm gonna start doing elbows in next chest day and get used to it, but i'm sure there's more to it.

I would not start altering technique and practicing a high arch until you are familiar with the rules of the federation you are competing in. If it is an IPF type fed, you will be required to bring the bar down relatively high on the chest compared to the way many guys w/ insane arches bring the bar down to the upper abs.

Don't get caught up too much in keeping your elbows tucked to a certain amount. You don't want your arms brushing the sides of your body on the way down. Most good benchers have their elbows at around 30-45 degrees at the bottom of the lift and gradually rotate/flair them out to 90 as they lockout the weight. Especially if you are lifting raw and need the extra strength from the delts and chest at the bottom of the lift--you don't want to tuck too much. I would advise you to practice your form w/ an empty bar every day for 30-40 good singles so you can find the perfect groove/bar path and re-train your CNS (not gonna be easy).

The best thing I did for my bench press was buying the Elite Fitness Systems bench press index DVD. I had no one to show me how to properly set up for the bench and perform it in person, and trust me--this is the next best thing. Jim Wendler (675lb bench press, 2375lb total @275)spends 20-25 minutes going through the proper way to bench for powerlifting from foot placement to setting up, to arching, pressing, using leg drive etc. And then he does it again for lifters who cannot/don't want to arch. Additionally, he gives you several great tips for competition, one of them is a technique to lockout the last 2-3" of a bench w/o actually moving the bar (you'll have to see it to believe it) by manipulating your wrists/forearms. Trust me, I've used it at strictly judged comps and it works. After that he shows how to use bands/chains, boards, and a bunch of other exercises to increase the BP. The DVD is really worth the 50 bucks if you have never competed and don't have someone right there showing you. It is really something you have to see to understand, I can't explain it in words or I would to save you the money (LOL). I really recommend it if you want to learn the right way to bench for strength. www.elitefts.com
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dawg
    I dont know exactly what your bench form is now, but keep your shoulder blades contracted as tight as possible, your traps should be driven into the bench. If you are flexible enough, try and get a really high arch, the middle/lower back wont even be touching the bench. The easiest way to set up like this is when you lay down on the bench, slide back until the bar is right over your chest while it is in the rack, then pull your feet back under you, digging your toes into the ground, your toes will be all that is touching the ground. Then push yourself back to where you want to be set up under the bar. Personally I dont have the flexibility to do this, my hip flexors always cramp up as it really stretches your hips out. The guys that are really good at this look like a rainbow by how arched they are. Then when in this position, keeping your shoulder blades contracted as tight as possible, have your partner help with the lift off. Keep your elbows around 45 degree to your body, just whatever is mostly comfortable, for me I bring the bar just below my pecs. It is kind of hard explaining the arch set up, the best way to learn is just watch alot of powerlifting clips and you will see how they do it. www.irongame.com has alot of good clips. I was just trying to find an article from www.elitefts.com by Louie Simmons on bench techniques, but they seem to have changed their site and I cant find any of the Louie Simmons articles.

All of Louie Simmons' Powerlifting USA articles that were hosted by EliteFTS and then some can be found on the Westside Barbell homepage.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

Just got done watching a guy put up 495 with a shirt....first half of lift was cake, second half I thought he was going to drop it.......I just don't get it....

So, I had to bump the old thread
  6. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Shirts prevent injuries and prolong careers. My shirt gives me about 100lbs +/- a few. I can bench well over 600 raw, but getting overzealous and doing it every week caused me to tear both my pecs. I have had very few injuries since using a shirt, so I will continue to use one. I will eventually be over 800shirted (hopefully by october 29th,lol), but that won't be until I have learned to use my shirt properly, and that is something that takes a ton of practice and work. Its a lot more difficult than most would imagine. I do agree that there are thos in the sport who know how to work the gear good enough to get 400lbs out of it, but there are less than 10 in the sport like that.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

I know shirted benching is hard...some people never find their groove. And, your lifts are huge BTW

But, is a 3 ply suit really necessary to prevent injuries? Or, has it absolutely turned into a way for lifters to add (what are in my opinion, artificial) numbers to their lifts. If a single ply works, it works. IMO, If I were to make a powerlifting federation, I would standardize equipment. Use what is essential for protection, and make sure everyone uses the same equipment.

JMO.
  8. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

I know shirted benching is hard...some people never find their groove. And, your lifts are huge BTW

But, is a 3 ply suit really necessary to prevent injuries? Or, has it absolutely turned into a way for lifters to add (what are in my opinion, artificial) numbers to their lifts. If a single ply works, it works. IMO, If I were to make a powerlifting federation, I would standardize equipment. Use what is essential for protection, and make sure everyone uses the same equipment.

JMO.
    Over two-ply anything is overkill, and truth be told will prolly hurt you more than help (too much shirt resistance with 3). I think 2 ply should be the max, and it is according to WPO rules.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

Really? All the big lifters i know are in 3ply. But yeah, usually they can't even touch their chest until they get damn near 600lbs on the bar. And, like i said before, they'll explode the weight up for the first half of the lift (when the shirt's resistance is helping) and then as soon as they get to the lockout and the tris have to "actually" work, the lift slows down considerably. Just seems odd....

I've never lifted shirted, so I can't say too much for or against From what I know now, I'm just not big on the idea.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Really? All the big lifters i know are in 3ply. But yeah, usually they can't even touch their chest until they get damn near 600lbs on the bar. And, like i said before, they'll explode the weight up for the first half of the lift (when the shirt's resistance is helping) and then as soon as they get to the lockout and the tris have to "actually" work, the lift slows down considerably. Just seems odd....

I've never lifted shirted, so I can't say too much for or against From what I know now, I'm just not big on the idea.
    lattimer is having problems touching with 900+ right now. rage double X shirt or some ****. he blew another one recently. got a pic of it on MMI kwy.
  11. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

WPO only allows 2ply, but I have heard rumors of Big Gene cheating a bit with the ply #. I only wear two ply and that is more than enough for me to handle. I have so much trouble finding the groove and dropping the weight in properly so as not to dump the weight. I still have a ton to learn, but luckilly I train with the best in the world at shirt technique. I would start out with a single ply, get good at that, then switch to a second ply, and then get good at it. The form is so much different for shirted bench and raw bench.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

lattimer is having problems touching with 900+ right now. rage double X shirt or some ****. he blew another one recently. got a pic of it on MMI kwy.
    That just sounds too ridiculous

900lbs on your chest, and you can't even get it to touch, despite a huge arch? See...this is just where it seems to be "too freggin' much", ya know?

Just imagine the additional force a PLer is given by a shirt that resists 900lbs and the PLer trying to pull the weight to his chest?
  13. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

That was in his Inzer Ultimate Denim, which is actually a canvas shirt. I think he might be switching to a RageX though. Mike Wolfe used his RageX for the first time and BLASTED up 855, that shirt is the one everyone is hitting big numbers in.
  14. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

That just sounds too ridiculous

900lbs on your chest, and you can't even get it to touch, despite a huge arch? See...this is just where it seems to be "too freggin' much", ya know?

Just imagine the additional force a PLer is given by a shirt that resists 900lbs and the PLer trying to pull the weight to his chest?
    Latt is the 2nd best shirt technition there is. He benches about 550 raw. I wish I could manipulate a shirt that well.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Quote Originally Posted by NickW
    Latt is the 2nd best shirt technition there is. He benches about 550 raw. I wish I could manipulate a shirt that well.
    550 exactly. new PR for him. at least that's the last i read. he keeps a training log over there. and yup, you're right, ultimate denim is the one he blew recently with a 925 bench that had just touched. 905 wouldn't touch at all.

like you said, the rage double X is putting up some big #'s for random ppl.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.28%

Iam not against lifting shirts and the like, but like kwyck said I feel it would be better with standardization of lifting gear. I used to use a single ply some but became too troublesome since many times I dont have a training partner. Also, I know a couple of guys locally that said they were benching 600+ and squating 800+(SHW) . Funny thing is that at the meets they didnt pass their squat because they couldnt get down far enough and the same guy couldnt get his first lift in on the bench because he couldnt get 315 down to his chest. To me that would be embarsing. They blamed it on politics.
  17. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Yes, it would be embaressing to miss a weight because you can't touch. You are always supposed to start with a weight that you know will touch and go from there. It really just boils down to the lifter knowing how to use their shirt and making good decisions on lifting attempts.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

Quote Originally Posted by grape ape
    Iam not against lifting shirts and the like, but like kwyck said I feel it would be better with standardization of lifting gear. I used to use a single ply some but became too troublesome since many times I dont have a training partner. Also, I know a couple of guys locally that said they were benching 600+ and squating 800+(SHW) . Funny thing is that at the meets they didnt pass their squat because they couldnt get down far enough and the same guy couldnt get his first lift in on the bench because he couldnt get 315 down to his chest. To me that would be embarsing. They blamed it on politics.
    IMO, if you have to use a shirt to bench 315...you shouldn't be using a shirt
  19. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Very true
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

i'd say 405. then add a single ply for safety. to hell with the rest. but like we discussed earlier, if one guy uses a double rage X, we all have to. pretty ****ty.
  21. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

I didn't start using a shirt until after I did 600 raw, I maxed out too often tore both my pecs, and then decided that it would be prudent to get some protection. Tearing pecs hurts, luckilly it was just the muscles and not an avulsed tendon.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

I didn't start using a shirt until after I did 600 raw, I maxed out too often tore both my pecs, and then decided that it would be prudent to get some protection. Tearing pecs hurts, luckilly it was just the muscles and not an avulsed tendon.
    pulled (maybe tore) my pec recently (about 3 weeks ago) and it's taking some getting used to. 425 ****ed my **** all up. totally my fault though. it was my first day back on flat in over a year and i was going for broke. i got my wish, i broke.
  23. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

hey man that double rage X helped me put up a PR of 215!
  24. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

Beelz, is there much bruising in the area of the pec pain? if it was torn there would be sever bruising and swelling.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Beelz, is there much bruising in the area of the pec pain? if it was torn there would be sever bruising and swelling.
    no brusing. mild swelling. i was able to do a medium weight workout last week. hitting it again today to see if things have improved. have a slight lump that has formed from the chest into the underarm area. can't see it, but i can feel it. kinda like where there's that connector muscle that runs from the chest to the underarm-shoulder muscle. well, now, i have two connectors to that area. kinda hard to explain.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    hey man that double rage X helped me put up a PR of 215!
    shattering your previous record of 210, excellent job glen.
  27. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

no brusing. mild swelling. i was able to do a medium weight workout last week. hitting it again today to see if things have improved. have a slight lump that has formed from the chest into the underarm area. can't see it, but i can feel it. kinda like where there's that connector muscle that runs from the chest to the underarm-shoulder muscle. well, now, i have two connectors to that area. kinda hard to explain.
    I would say that you just tweaked the tendon at its attachment point, take it easy on the heavy weights. I wouldn't do anything heavier than you did for your last workout.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

I would say that you just tweaked the tendon at its attachment point, take it easy on the heavy weights. I wouldn't do anything heavier than you did for your last workout.
    sounds about right. think i'll stick to the hammer machines for another week or so before hitting up flat again. hoping GH will assist things as well, about to give that a run for it's money.
  29. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

I would think it would due to the expedited healing and increased tendon strength GH is supposed to provide.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

I would think it would due to the expedited healing and increased tendon strength GH is supposed to provide.
    yessir. spoke to a national bb'ing competitor in my gym about this. said it worked wonders for a knee injury he had. found a good price. everything kinda fell in place, figured it was a sign to try it. won't hurt to try anyway.
  31. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

I am sure I will be using GH once my joints/tendons start giving me constant trouble. Let me know how well this works out for you, I might start some Hexatropin before the BB4$ to help my nagging pec tendon pain.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

cool deal, i'll keep ya posted. should be starting up in 10 days or so.
  33. DO WORK!
    Stats
    6'0"  360 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%

cool thanks.
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.76%

First off ive never used Illegal Gear/Juice and Im 300lbs,6ft 1",and got 573lbs up on bench a few weeks ago with Fury single ply.
    Raw i get around 450lbs on flat bench,but on delcine bench i get over 500lbs.I got 315lbs for 31reps on delcine also.
    I have bad shoulders and train on decline alot.
    I have alot of pain on flat bench but not on decline.When i use a shirt i have almost NO pain at all.When you start getting that
    heavy on bench i think shirts are a good idea so you dont blow out your shoulders.That is of course my opinion.I have never used
    a denim or double ply shirt.If you are doing a PL meet its almost a must that u use a shirt to compete with the others using shirts.
    I personally am glad that they allow shirts because of my shoulder injuries.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Quote Originally Posted by MrSkullCrusher
    First off ive never used Illegal Gear/Juice and Im 300lbs,6ft 1",and got 573lbs up on bench a few weeks ago with Fury single ply.
    Raw i get around 450lbs on flat bench,but on delcine bench i get over 500lbs.I got 315lbs for 31reps on delcine also.
    I have bad shoulders and train on decline alot.
    I have alot of pain on flat bench but not on decline.When i use a shirt i have almost NO pain at all.When you start getting that
    heavy on bench i think shirts are a good idea so you dont blow out your shoulders.That is of course my opinion.I have never used
    a denim or double ply shirt.If you are doing a PL meet its almost a must that u use a shirt to compete with the others using shirts.
    I personally am glad that they allow shirts because of my shoulder injuries.
    thanks for the input bro. yeah, i've come to realize that a single ply is acceptable after a certain weight, just for safety reasons.

does a double ply give even more safety or does that just take it to a point of ridiculousness?
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.64%

sounds about right. think i'll stick to the hammer machines for another week or so before hitting up flat again. hoping GH will assist things as well, about to give that a run for it's money.
    How are those Hammer's working out for ya' brudda? Love those quotes you got!
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Quote Originally Posted by hulagn1971
    How are those Hammer's working out for ya' brudda? Love those quotes you got!
    i posted the workout over at MMI. it's getting there. i'm probably around 80%.

hey hul, since you're here now, what's your view on the PL'ing equipment nowadays?
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.64%

From what I've read you're pointed in the right direction. Check Lattimer's posts.
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.76%

Talking

thanks for the input bro. yeah, i've come to realize that a single ply is acceptable after a certain weight, just for safety reasons.

does a double ply give even more safety or does that just take it to a point of ridiculousness?
    Never used one so i dont know.
    They should either make everyone go RAW (which would suck for me) or use single ply or just let EVERYTHING go!Start Having guys wrap their elbows (with knee wraps) and Maybe even Full body wraps!!LOL!!!
    Ive only entered tested meets that only allow single ply.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Quote Originally Posted by MrSkullCrusher
    Never used one so i dont know.
    They should either make everyone go RAW (which would suck for me) or use single ply or just let EVERYTHING go!Start Having guys wrap their elbows (with knee wraps) and Maybe even Full body wraps!!LOL!!!
    Ive only entered tested meets that only allow single ply.
    are there generally enough competitors to divide it up that much? yeah, it would be great if it could be divided up into RAW, singleply, double ply, anything goes divisions, but it'd probably end up with about 1-2 competitors in each class. at least it'd be more of a level playing field though.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
  2. opinions on muscle synergy
    By madmuscle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 07:35 AM
  3. Need opinions on T-1 pro plan
    By RippedForce in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 02:58 AM
  4. Your Thoughts And Opinions on Keto Dieting??
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 01:12 AM