competitors???

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
anyone out there compete in powerlifting? thinking about trying a local RAW meet in virginia. don't want to be taken advantage of with a bunch of guys that can manipulate their suits for crazy ass lifts. i was reading up on the totals for RAW guys in virginia and the highest i've seen for my weight class was high 1300's and that was 3 years ago. apparently, virginia is full of fat midgets or something.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Knox, my brother, and I will be competing at a meet Oct 8th, its just a small local meet near my hometown at the YMCA. Bench/Deadlift and...............straight bar curl are the lifts!! LOL how gay is that, freakin straight bar curl, oh well. I just found out about it last week, so now I have 7 weeks to prepare for it. I talked to the fitness director at the Y there and he told me some of the top lifts there last spring, I think we should do good there. I talked to another guy who competed in it last spring and he said most of the guys were wearing bench shirts...so I'm not real excited about that b/c I dont have one, but may borrow a friends if it fits decent. I would prefer not to use one, but the pause they make you do at the bottom is damn near impossible without a shirt. For the deadlift I will be wearing my poly briefs.

You should do it beelze, its a good time! :)

I know there are way more guys here with more experience than me, ryansm, UHCougar and of course exnihilo all come to mind at the moment, so there should be plenty of people to help with tips and such. I'm glad there is finally a powerlifting forum here.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Also, FYI, there is no comparison between a raw bench and a shirted bench. I have a friend that can put up just over 500 with his shirt, but 315 raw is a struggle. Of course you cant just put on a shirt and add all that weight and do it, you have to learn to use it and build up your lockout strength, but if you go to a meet and dont have any equipment, make sure it is a raw meet as you said, there will be little dudes blowing up more weight than you and you will wonder how the **** they do it, but once you take off that shirt off, you will be able to smoke them. Not dissing on the equipment at all, just kinda giving you an idea.

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
I agree. Modern lifting gear is amazing. I have squatted 600 in full gear and well, lets just say im no where near that raw. My best raw bench is 315 and i have done 425 on a two board press in my shirt.

Also, FYI, there is no comparison between a raw bench and a shirted bench. I have a friend that can put up just over 500 with his shirt, but 315 raw is a struggle. Of course you cant just put on a shirt and add all that weight and do it, you have to learn to use it and build up your lockout strength, but if you go to a meet and dont have any equipment, make sure it is a raw meet as you said, there will be little dudes blowing up more weight than you and you will wonder how the **** they do it, but once you take off that shirt off, you will be able to smoke them. Not dissing on the equipment at all, just kinda giving you an idea.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i made sure. they have a RAW competition and another one for the supportive equipment. it's in october sometime so i've got a while to prepare.

bigman420

Awards
virginia has some strong ass people...they just don't compete at all...where in virginia are you competing?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
virginia has some strong ass people...they just don't compete at all...where in virginia are you competing?
richmond.

that's exactly what the PL'er said at my gym. plenty of strong guys, but they don't know they're strong enough to compete.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing an ADAU (www.pikitup.com) meet in October.
They have some real strong guys as well. One guy at my gym competes in the 181 lbs. class and did 585 for a deadlift to win the weight class.

The bench is the hardest because you have to wait for the judge to say press...sometimes it seems like an eternity passes before they give the command.

I like competing because it gives me some goals the entire year. I didn't lift as hard until I had a meet to focus on.

biggunther

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing an ADAU (www.pikitup.com) meet in October.
They have some real strong guys as well. One guy at my gym competes in the 181 lbs. class and did 585 for a deadlift to win the weight class.

The bench is the hardest because you have to wait for the judge to say press...sometimes it seems like an eternity passes before they give the command.

I like competing because it gives me some goals the entire year. I didn't lift as hard until I had a meet to focus on.
Just curious what the 220lb class is benching these days. I have not competed in over 12 years or so. The cartilage in my knees is pretty much gone. I would not mind doing a bench competition, but I don't want to get embarrassed.

anadrol75

Awards
I compete from time to time. A friend of mine has just gotten involved with the APA. He is doing quite well. Somthing like 7 world records in a few different classes. He has gotten in with an Inzer pro and picked up alot of info. We are in S.C. but do meets all over. My friend owns a gym here and is hosting a meet in Sept. Here is a link to the APA site. www.apa-wpa.com Mabye this will be of some interest to you guys. It has a records page and an extensive forum broken down by state. I have competed in bodybuilding also, and I can say this for powerlifting. The adrenaline rush you get when it's your turn in front of a large crowed. It's truely awesome!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
What are your lifts like right now, Beelze?

I'm considering doin' a local meet just for fun. All RAW, too...i don't feel like spending money on gear if it don't make me grow :D lol I'm one of those guys who doesnt like the idea of the lifting gear.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
What are your lifts like right now, Beelze?

I'm considering doin' a local meet just for fun. All RAW, too...i don't feel like spending money on gear if it don't make me grow :D lol I'm one of those guys who doesnt like the idea of the lifting gear.
well, i've been training specifically for size for past year or so but i just recently switched to lower reps for strength. haven't maxed out yet but my lifts without belts, wraps, and all that **** are:
bench - 405 x 3
deads - 515 x 5
squat - 445 x 3

same here with the RAW deal. i don't want to compete against a guy who knows how to use his shirts and suits to the utmost advantage. read that gene struggles with 405 for a set on bench, but puts up 1000+ with a shirt on. if it's true, that **** ain't right.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well, i've been training specifically for size for past year or so but i just recently switched to lower reps for strength. haven't maxed out yet but my lifts without belts, wraps, and all that **** are:
bench - 405 x 3
deads - 515 x 5
squat - 445 x 3

same here with the RAW deal. i don't want to compete against a guy who knows how to use his shirts and suits to the utmost advantage. read that gene struggles with 405 for a set on bench, but puts up 1000+ with a shirt on. if it's true, that **** ain't right.
Dude I watched Gene warm up to try 1005 and 1015 bench. Dude struggled at 405. Seriously struggled. His shirt laccerates(sp?) his arms because the piano string in it is so tight it shreds his skin. That dude uses so much lifting gear it is fvcking stupid. He cannot even take his hands off the bar when he is done. His hands get almost blue and his spotter has to peel his hands off the bar literally. The woman that owns or manages the gym he trains at said he literally blew the tip of his thumb off before because of the pressure in his hands.

Oh yeah another load of ****, when he came out the second time my friend who has been powerlifting for 9 yrs. started yelling out look at his shirt he changed his shirt. Gene came out with a diff. shirt that had a 1" high or so patch on the stomach of it so he wouldn't have to go down as far. Bullshit, I would say so. It is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
bench - 405 x 3
deads - 515 x 5
squat - 445 x 3

Nice lifts, beelze...

I've always been a big supporter of PL, but when they try to crack on big BBers who are, in their words, basically fluff with non-functional muscles I get sickened. Big Ron Coleman reps out 500lbs on flat bench without a PL arch, elbow tuck, leg drive (any other techniques) and without lifting gear.

I see people benching 360 for a few reps and then getting 550 with a shirt. Now, don't go off spouting about non-functional strength when a shirt his adding 200lbs to your bench!

</rant>

That said, I would still love to compete and watch raw PL competitions...would be great! Geared is good, too, but only for the deadlift, IMHO, b/c its the only lift these days that is pretty much still un-assisted.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Dude I watched Gene warm up to try 1005 and 1015 bench. Dude struggled at 405. Seriously struggled. His shirt laccerates(sp?) his arms because the piano string in it is so tight it shreds his skin. That dude uses so much lifting gear it is fvcking stupid. He cannot even take his hands off the bar when he is done. His hands get almost blue and his spotter has to peel his hands off the bar literally. The woman that owns or manages the gym he trains at said he literally blew the tip of his thumb off before because of the pressure in his hands.

Oh yeah another load of ****, when he came out the second time my friend who has been powerlifting for 9 yrs. started yelling out look at his shirt he changed his shirt. Gene came out with a diff. shirt that had a 1" high or so patch on the stomach of it so he wouldn't have to go down as far. Bullshit, I would say so. It is just ridiculous.
Yeah, **** like that is ridiculous. If you can't really lift the damn weight, don't gear yourself up to lift more than you can. Guys like John Kuc, John Kolb, Kaz, and other older guys lifted in little more than a singlet and would think making a lift like this is bullshit, I know I do. If you can't lift it in more than double ply, put the goddamn weight down.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, **** like that is ridiculous. If you can't really lift the damn weight, don't gear yourself up to lift more than you can. Guys like John Kuc, John Kolb, Kaz, and other older guys lifted in little more than a singlet and would think making a lift like this is bullshit, I know I do. If you can't lift it in more than double ply, put the goddamn weight down.
:clap2:

Kaboju

Awards
I don't do PL, but next year I will be starting in strongman comps. Lightweight division of course.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
:duel:

Haha - guys, the shirts and suits are a good thing, they prolong careers and prevent injuries. Of course, people have started abusing them and now anyone who wants to compete at the top ranks of powerlifting needs to abuse them as well. It may be a shame but you or I can't change it, so don't bother whining or walking around talking to powerlifters saying "those guys who bench 600 in a shirt are pussies, I bench 450 raw I know they couldn't do that", because we'll say "that's nice" then laugh at you behind your back if we're in a GOOD mood.

It serves no purpose to lament the halcyon days of single ply low tech powerlifting gear, just get over it and do what you need to do to compete. The reality of the situation is that guys like andy fiedler, ryan kennely, scott mendelson, jason jackson and matt lamarque who are all hitting ~770+ in double ply gear are all able to rep out 550+ touch and go (in mendelson and kennely's cases, they can both hit raw ~700lb singles with a pause) and saying the gear does all the work is just an ignorant insult to these great lifters.

If you don't want to compete that's fine, but don't bash those of us that do, and don't bash us because we have to use the shirt to be competitive. It's not my fault I'm competing against people who abuse the gear, I am just trying to stay competitive and avoid injury. I did my last contest in a loose single ply fury polyester shirt (I got it on myself!), and I still managed to hit 473, and I'm not going to sit by while people talk trash about shirted benches as if there's nothing to them, because there certainly is.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i agree if the top competitors are using it, then everyone else is forced too as well. and i'm not bashing the guys that use em, it gets ridiculous to a point though. the obvious question becomes "how much weight is the shirt accounting for"?

was waiting for you to find your way back here little fella. :)

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i agree if the top competitors are using it, then everyone else is forced too as well. and i'm not bashing the guys that use em, it gets ridiculous to a point though. the obvious question becomes "how much weight is the shirt accounting for"?

was waiting for you to find your way back here little fella. :)
I also agree with this. And i would like to say before i start talking a little **** that I have a ton of respect for powerlifters the only one I don't is gene rychlak. That guy held up the competition my buddy was in for over an hour so he could attempt over 1000 lbs 2 times and didn't even get it. That fat bastard is a disgrace to powerlifting imo. He had a hard time w/ 405 w/o his shirt. Way out of line. But he still got inducted into the hall of fame that same weekend. Who the hell deserves to be inducted to the hall of fame then anybody that can bench over 405 then, no, its any fat guy that can manipulate a shirt to add about 500lbs plus to his bench. My pl friend that compete and one that has a couple of amateur records even hated the guy and said he is a disgrace.

All the respect in the world to you exnihilo and all other pl's ..... just not guys like gene rychlak. He doesn't deserve it. There is a purpose for your gear and like I said before my friends use all that **** too but they still bust their asses hard core in the gym every day and eat like pigs day in and day out, and even have to diet to make weight but still keep strength.. Its impressive and not your fault their are freaks like gene that have piano string wound in their suits to restrict motion as much as possible but then set the bar so high for the rest of you.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I used to powerlift, full suit( god i hated that thing),wraps,knees and belt...

bench was 195
squat was 365
dead was 465

that was a few yrs back but i did about 6 different shows and loved everyone one of them.......i admit my fav part was the carbing up with chocolate chip pancakes,......YUMMY

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
what's this carb up thing? i like the sound of this.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
After the weigh in, just start slamming the carbs to keep your energy levels up, also I think if it helps you retain a little more water it might help with a bit of strength, especially if you had to cut weight to get to that weight class. During my meet I would continually eat granola bars and bananas and drink gatorade, I liked to have the bananas in there because I always seem to cramp up when I am trying to set up really tight for a lift. Thats my idea of carbing up for it....

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
what's this carb up thing? i like the sound of this.
I would deplete carbs like 3 weeks before weight in( to make sure i was in my weight class)....right after weight in the night before a meet
chocolate chip pancakes...yummy

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Hey WG, I thought I remembered like a year ago or so you were getting ready for a meet and benched 200 or 205, dont know why that is stuck in my mind, but anyways those are some really good lifts, especially deadlift!

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Ah yes, the post weigh in binge(it was for me anyway)...I hated dieting down to make the 198s, so I just ended up lifting in the 220s because it got so hard to diet down (because I would crash diet, not my brightest moment.)
My best totals(with full equipment) were:
Squat: 520
Bench: 285
Dead: 520

Good enough to get me 6th at regionals in my weight class. Now I'm trying to get back into it after a long layoff, hopefully all goes well.:D

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Hey WG, I thought I remembered like a year ago or so you were getting ready for a meet and benched 200 or 205, dont know why that is stuck in my mind, but anyways those are some really good lifts, especially deadlift!
your right, 205, max bench..but i did not qualify as i did not do the squat..( broken foot)..i just wanted to do the bench as i wanted to beat my best.....(my friend was running the meet, a comp between rival gyms so i was able to do it.........:) a personal favor to me...

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
well since, most of the PL'ers are posting in this thread, i'm looking for some much needed advice. today, i went back to flat bench after about a year away from it. practicing all the stuff i was told, arch, shoulder blades squeezed, etc. was going great, got 405 x 3 like it was a joke. then i got greedy and went for 425 and felt a pull in my chest. most likely a pulled muscle. any ideas how to deal with this? 6 weeks til the meet. it's not hurting too bad now. i heated it and i'm about to ice it in a little bit. feels like it's sore from the workout already so i'm sure it'll be hurting tomorrow.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Let it heal, start doing 3 and 4 board press when you feel you are able, build your low end with military press, 3 weeks out from the meet start getting ART, two sessions should be enough to get you back into tip top shape.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Active release therapy. Works great - I had it done on my forearms, pecs, tris and shoulders and it was amazing, it restored range of motion I haven't had in years and got rid of a lot of minor nagging pain.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Active release therapy. Works great - I had it done on my forearms, pecs, tris and shoulders and it was amazing, it restored range of motion I haven't had in years and got rid of a lot of minor nagging pain.
ever have a pulled muscle?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
oh, ya think GH would be of benefit in that short period of time?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
ever have a pulled muscle?
Yes, plenty. Unless you really fucked it up you should be good to go in under two weeks - just don't do any heavy work on it in that time (though 30-50 rep sets not to faillure can help you recover). As for the GH, I don't think it'll help honestly.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Yes, plenty. Unless you really fucked it up you should be good to go in under two weeks - just don't do any heavy work on it in that time (though 30-50 rep sets not to faillure can help you recover). As for the GH, I don't think it'll help honestly.
yeah, i'm taking a week off from everything. hitting it light next week.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
oh, and i thought GH helped with injuries and **** like that. am i mistaken? i've yet to use it so i have no personal experience, just what i've read.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
GH mainly seems to help with arthritis-like injuries, i.e. degenerative connective tissue, particularly cartilage. Not as helpful with strains and pulls.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
GH mainly seems to help with arthritis-like injuries, i.e. degenerative connective tissue, particularly cartilage. Not as helpful with strains and pulls.
hmm, alrighty, think i'm still gonna try it out. can't hurt, right? it may very well be a connective tissue problem anyway. being in the same exact area as last time and all. thanks for the info though.

hulagn1971

hulagn1971

Awards
Like Curtis told ya', the **** will heal you up quick bro. Can't wait to see the results.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Like Curtis told ya', the **** will heal you up quick bro. Can't wait to see the results.
drumroll plz.............................my former training partner has entered the room. bout time you posted fucknut.

hulagn1971

hulagn1971

Awards
Just waited for the right opportunity. Nice board. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable peeps here (yes, your included).

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well any friend of beelze's is an enemy of mine

just kidding man welcome aboard

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
well any friend of beelze's is an enemy of mine

just kidding man welcome aboard
never mind this guy. he's still mad because my small calves are still bigger than his, lol.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
beelze .. i hate you
ex .. i hate you too albeit for different reasons

Nabeshin

Nabeshin

Awards
  • Established
The faux-latent-and/or-overt-homosexual banter here never ceases to amuse me. It also never ceases. Should that be a cause for alarm? :lol: