Dumbell curls superset with tricep pushdowns 3 x 10-12reps

Dumbell hammer curls superset with tricep extensions 3 x 10-12reps

Close grip bench press 3 x 10-12reps

Dumbell preacher curls 3 x 10-12reps

Day 3
Deadlifts (1x5)

Assistance
Dumbell rows 4 x 8-10reps

Lat pull downs (wide grip) superset with lat pulldown (reverse grip) 4 x 10-12reps

My first 4 sets of deadlift are heavy (adding weight each set) but my 5th set is my working set, I was doing 5x5 on deadlift but after doing some reading I found out it's to much.

Any advice on my routine would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So you have a squat/bench day, a deadlift/back day...and an arm day. Assuming you're sticking with 3 days/wk frequency, and days are pretty evenly spaced (Mon, Wed, Fri for example) I'd recommend considering making the 2nd day your primary bench day+more back work and moving arms to the tail end of the squat day. Squatting is draining, and if you intend to follow this split for more than 2-3 months you are definitely going to start holding your efforts on bench back some. Arms on the other hand are cake, and that's one of the easiest muscle pairings for many to work after squatting hard.

Mon: Squat, Abs, Arms

Wed: Bench & Back

Fri: Pull, Abs, Back

You get one squat, one pull, and 2 pressing, rowing and ab sessions each week. It would be ideal to get some kind of 2nd squat in after deadlift but you may well not have the time or gas for that. And if could handle it working some chin-ups into the squat/arm day would be ideal. A big strong back transfers to everything, and frequency is king for back.

If you have 2 of the days sandwiched together (like Mon, Thurs, Fri) this suggestion is kind of moot.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also should point out that there's no overhead pressing of any kind here, which I'd take over CGBP for that auxiliary pressing after squat as I believe it maintains shoulder balance and health better. And make sure there is some rear delt love tossed into some of these days during warmup (or when convenient). Pullaparts and facepulls and rear db flys won't get you jacked but they will help you stay healthier.

clk

clk

Awards
Also should point out that there's no overhead pressing of any kind here, which I'd take over CGBP for that auxiliary pressing after squat as I believe it maintains shoulder balance and health better. And make sure there is some rear delt love tossed into some of these days during warmup (or when convenient). Pullaparts and facepulls and rear db flys won't get you jacked but they will help you stay healthier.
I second the overhead pressing. Really it's imparative to have it in order to maintain healthy shoulders. I'm an absolute stickler when it comes to shoulder work simply because an injured shoulder is incredibly debilitating.

Also, sticking to 5x5 will eventually not be sufficient. I would break it all up into 6 or 12 week blocks with the beginning being higher volume slowly increasing intensity over the course of the 6 or 12 week block. A good idea would be to Grab a good powerlifting program, follow it and add in your "bodybuilding" accessory work around it. At least that way you will have a solid foundation to base everything off of..

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also agree on the OHP's or some kind of overhead work.
As far as the "assistance work" on say squat day, you might benefit more from say a move(s) like a light rdl, leg curls, leg presses or the likes, instead of just more sets of higher reps squats. Assistance for the deadlift too, could be one/some of those.
As far as arms, to dedicate a day just to arms, when arms are pretty much the smallest muscle group, can IMO, be done (as Hyde makes the point) at the end of the larger compound work/groups, or as iso work thru the week at ends of W/O's. Arms for most recover in a few days. I think that moderate volume and more frequency works better than trying to use a ton of volume for them only once per week. Example too, biceps can get some really good work from say pullups, then add a few sets of curls at end.

PowerBuilder1

Awards
Thanks for the feedback appreciated.

I had being thinking I need shoulder work.. Also forgot to mention I train at home, could squeeze in an extra day for some OHP (shoulder work)

I have being back training almost 3months now (being weight training on and off from young age I'm 33 now, so not new to weight training, but new to the powerlifting scene) being following 5x5 adding 2.5kg each workout, but until this week I had to deload I wasn't hitting my reps on last 2weeks of training, should I switch to maybe 3x5?

(I can post what im lifting if need be) I'm certainly not on level with you guys but if I can push myself I'm hoping hopefully this time next year I could do my first meet.

I'm going to plan a new workout and let use know. Thanks again.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
being following 5x5 adding 2.5kg each workout, but until this week I had to deload I wasn't hitting my reps on last 2weeks of training, should I switch to maybe 3x5?
Well, you could ask 5 guys this and get perhaps 5 differing (not necessarily wrong) answers.
When I did 5x5's and when/if I still go back to them, I don't always do sets across which is...

Example:
#150x5x5sets

You could do...

#100x5
#125x5
#150x5x2(sets)
#135x5

You push up against a higher peak, hit it for 2 top sets and then maybe a back off to keep up volume. That way too, you keep up the total tonnage, ie: you lifted a total of #4800 say.

The next week say...

#100x5 (this first set will usually be a warmer anyway)
#130x5
#155x5x2 sets
#140x5

say a #5 bump. (which does not sound like much, but in 25 weeks, it adds up)

Lots of info out there on differing protocols etc. etc. etc.
My advice would be to pick one and stick with it for awhile as you get more adapted to regular heavier lifting.

This way and IMO, one can drag out a cycle longer and gain slowly over time, a good bit of strength, power, fitness and mass (if you are eating enough) over 6-8-10-12-16 weeks. Regulating properly and not getting too greedy, can have one gaining for a long stretch of time.

To add, there can be weeks when you are just a bit off in strength and even the will to get in there, only to come back the next week and get all 5 sets of 5 and still have more in you. It is just how the body responds,in spurts, not linear, like it looks on paper.

Also, not necessarily sure if you "have" to add a day, just to get in some OHP work. They could probably be muscled into your weekly routine.
with pressing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You can never have enough back work. Just because you've been good about doing it doesn't mean you won't be better off keeping the frequency up on it.

Bill Kazmaier once said he's seen weak men with big chests, big legs, big arms, but he's never seen a weak man with a big back. I tend to agree with him lol