Question regarding the 5x5

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Hello AM readers. It's been quite a while since I posted last. I'm returning to weight lifting and I'd missed it a lot over the last few months. Anyway I'm back. I recently started the Stronglifts 5x5. I really want to get back to a 300 lb squat and build everything up from there. The Stronglifts program though has no assistance work, I've done the program before and from there last time I jumped onto the mad cow and then to 5/3/1. I planned on doing that again, the thing though I really want to build some muscle in the process. I want to get to about 190. Currently I'm 160. Should I just focus on the programs as written or should I throw in a few assistance exercises? If the answer is assistance exercises I will say I plan to run the SL 5x5 for a minimum of 5-6 months without changing anything. I'm just curious as the muscle building potential of this/these programs.

Current program is this:
A:
Squat - 5x5
Bench - 5x5
Row - 5x5

B:
Squat - 5x5
Overhead Press - 5x5
Deadlift - 1x5

I definitely need to focus on strength right now, my lifts are seriously weak compared to what they've been. It's amazing how much strength you lose when you don't prioritize lifting for about a year.

So thoughts?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why only 1 set of deadlifts?

If it were me I'd throw in some accessory work. That work would vary based on where I thought my weaknesses were.

As you get stronger the muscles will come.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It really comes down to volume load per workout. Those are all big lifts with decent amount of volume being done. I'm not sure if adding in more lifts would actually be beneficial. Most likely it will just generate more fatigue and not make a huge contribution to mass gains.

My advice is to stick with what is laid out. If you feel you can handle more volume, then do a different program.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
It really comes down to volume load per workout. Those are all big lifts with decent amount of volume being done. I'm not sure if adding in more lifts would actually be beneficial. Most likely it will just generate more fatigue and not make a huge contribution to mass gains.

My advice is to stick with what is laid out. If you feel you can handle more volume, then do a different program.
This, when I run the stronglift every time I added extra work sets I just felt fatigue on the next work out day and it threw off my goals. Stick to the plan and progress accordingly (don't move up too quick). Know your 1rm and percentages and good luck!

Audioph1x

Audioph1x

Awards
  • Established
That program works well. I remember trying to "tweak" little things about it like accessory work and it ended up hurting my strength. There was an article somewhere that pretty much said "don't **** with it because it works". Paraphrasing of course but you get the point.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Fair enough, thanks guys. As for the 1 set on deadlifts, it's a ramping set, you still do 5 sets, but it's only one heavy set.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I will second the advice so far; stick with the program. The full body workout is a good template, and the volume as written is designed to allow you to progress at a fairly optimal rate. As long as you keep making progress with it I would follow it to the letter. Just make sure you get all your workouts in every week and keep adding weight to the bar every month and you can't go wrong.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This has been my exact workout regimen and ALL my lifts have increased! Follow the program exactly as its laid out and you are good to go!