5x5 workout question

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Have been off working out for 8 months or so dues to hurt ankle. Starting back with 5x5 workout and have upped my calories to bud muscle but have gained fat ...I haven't really sweated a lot with this routine started pretty low on weight .....any advice

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So many variables with your question. I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're putting on fat you're eating more than your body is needing fuel.

With 5x5's you can add in accessory work that makes you sweat, if that's what you're looking for.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I guess I am saying I don't feel like I am pushing hard or working hard everything is light. Guess it will start getting heavy.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Do you up the weight when you hit 5x5? Or, do you gradually increase percent each cycle?

I've always done 531, and every cycle it increases +X weight over +Y percent of max. At the start of a 24 week cycle it may be somewhat light, but doesn't take long to become heavy. I also do AMRAP finisher top sets.

What's your exact program?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yes 5x5 and up it 10 lbs ever time I get the goal of 5. Its getting heavier. Just was curious.

clk

clk

Awards
If its feeling light, don't get overzealous and make it feel heavy. Just wait. That high volume lower weight work will build a good foundation for the heavy weight lower volume stuff that is inevitably coming your way. Nearly every program does this. When I first ran smolov for squats, the first couple weeks I was laughing because it was easy and everyone said the program was brutal. Well, they were right. That light weight high volume was the road to an insane amount of weight. Can't build a house without the foundation

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Have been seeing good gains and getting stronger. Repped 185 5x5 and still going. To a lot of you Its not much weight for me I am stoked tho

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Squat is at 250 5x5 and still going. Goal is to bench 250 for 2 reps. Will take some time but have to set goals lol

clk

clk

Awards
Heavy is subjective to the lifter man. If it's heavy to you, then it's heavy. Good job on the progress. Keep it up and eat!

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah. Have worried about gaining fat or too much belly fat but it will Be good. Can't stop progress ...

clk

clk

Awards
Don't worry about it. Just eat clean foods in excess. Your strength will skyrocket. If you start getting to the point where you think your "too fat" then tapper back the calories.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Just hit 255 squat and 195 bench for 5x5 sets was stoked

clk

clk

Awards
How long have you been squatting for?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Started off a 6 month break due to ankle injury 4 weeks ago. Other than that I just started lifting . hence why I have low numbers.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Have been really looking at my form on barbell rows. Want them lats to grow. My traps are getting better. Pretty impressed with this simple routine. Plan to run it for a while. 12 weeks or longer than go to a 4x8 routine for 6 weeks then back to 5x5

clk

clk

Awards
Right on man. Squats are an easy way to get hurt. So just be sure to take it nice and slow with them. Be sure to do a lot of hip mobility and stretches as well. Keeping your hips stretched will be like gold latter on. Also, don't squat in running shoes. Either buy some olys or do them barefoot or in chucks. It's pretty difficult to drive your heels through an inch of foam.

clk

clk

Awards
There is a YouTube video series called "so you think you can squat" lots of good info there. I'm not saying you don't know how to squat. Just saying it's always better to know too much than not enough. Especially with a movement that can hurt you.

clk

clk

Awards
Have been really looking at my form on barbell rows. Want them lats to grow. My traps are getting better. Pretty impressed with this simple routine. Plan to run it for a while. 12 weeks or longer than go to a 4x8 routine for 6 weeks then back to 5x5
In my opinion, slow, strict pull ups are the best for giving you wings. Next to red Bull of course lol. Rows are great as well. But I honestly think rows just build a thick back more than a wide one.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Sounds good. And thank you. Yeah I really focus on the hip when squatting it's getting tough. Not a race and no ego to build here just a strong frame and stocky look lol

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
How long should I use 5x5. I want to build a strong base but also want to get big. Just curious ... I am still gaining and building strength. Just hit 285 for 5x5 and benched for 4 sets of 205. Couldn't get the 5th set stalled in 3rd rep.... Just curious. I see alot of hate for 5x5 on the internet

clk

clk

Awards
There is a lot of hate for the program and an equal amount of love. I love it. It built my foundation. Then I moved onto more advanced programs. You can run it until A ) you platau. Or B ) you simply get bored with it.
Do it long enough, both will happen. That's true for anything though.

clk

clk

Awards
I'd say stick with it until you hit the basic benchmarks in your big 3 lifts. 225 bench, 315 squat and 405 deadlift. Those seem to be the sought after benchmark numbers for anyone who's lifted for more than a new years resolution.
Those are all reasonable numbers that are not horrible to acheive. Furthermore, at that point, you will have a decent grasp on what you're doing as far as technique. Once you get there, find another program with a good reputation and try it out. I really don't think you can go wrong with that approach.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Sounds solid and reasonable. I know strength will bring size as well. Thanks for the help man

clk

clk

Awards
Size isn't as cool as strength :)

clk

clk

Awards
Yea. but I can pick any of them up and throw them in my trunk...

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Damn good point. Lol. And hit them on the head like a cave man Hahah

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Just a quick question... I got 5x5 300lbs. That's all the weight I have ..so should I up the reps like 5x6 and so for till I but more weights?

clk

clk

Awards
You can do that or start doing front squats for the time being. Front squats are a little more difficult than back squats.