Bulking or cutting

andrieka

andrieka

Awards
Hi there guys, what do you think should i do now, bulking or cutting?

My status are 163 lbs, 5'8.5", and have around 16%-18% BF

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is up to a ton of factors. What are your goals (short and long term), etc.

Happy with your body fat levels but want to add some more muscle then bulk, not happy with it and want to be a bit leaner then cut before going back to bulking.

andrieka

andrieka

Awards
That is up to a ton of factors. What are your goals (short and long term), etc.

Happy with your body fat levels but want to add some more muscle then bulk, not happy with it and want to be a bit leaner then cut before going back to bulking.
I think what i want is to have more muscle mass with approx 9% of BF, what should i do to get to that point?

andrieka

andrieka

Awards
I mean should i cut first or bulk first for this moment?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Generally I recommend cutting first if you are higher body fat levels than you want. Being at a lower level can help with insulin sensitivity and making the bulk more productive IMO. Doesn't have to be drastic either, but a small cut then bulk for a certain period, then cut again, etc.

I personally like 3 months bulking (slow, not huge weight gains), a month at maintenance to try and stabilize that weight (if I cut right after a bulk a lot of times I personally just drop too fast), then a 4 week cut (but I stay really lean anyways so don't need much), then repeat. :)

andrieka

andrieka

Awards
Generally I recommend cutting first if you are higher body fat levels than you want. Being at a lower level can help with insulin sensitivity and making the bulk more productive IMO. Doesn't have to be drastic either, but a small cut then bulk for a certain period, then cut again, etc.

I personally like 3 months bulking (slow, not huge weight gains), a month at maintenance to try and stabilize that weight (if I cut right after a bulk a lot of times I personally just drop too fast), then a 4 week cut (but I stay really lean anyways so don't need much), then repeat. :)
Now that it is man, thanks for your advice and info, it makes my sense also, cheers

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you weigh 163lbs and you are asking about a bulk or cut??? that is easy, bulk.

with your bodyfat % you have at most 137lbs of lean mass. bulk up to that 163lbs and then try a cut.

or just try to get stronger while eating non processed foods. do conditioning as well. then enjoy the benefits of looking good.

andrieka

andrieka

Awards
you weigh 163lbs and you are asking about a bulk or cut??? that is easy, bulk.

with your bodyfat % you have at most 137lbs of lean mass. bulk up to that 163lbs and then try a cut.

or just try to get stronger while eating non processed foods. do conditioning as well. then enjoy the benefits of looking good.
Yes, im a bit confuse here because im not really happy with BF percentage right now especially around my belly, what i thought is if i bulk im going to add some fat here and there, but it will be a different story if i can bulk and reduce fat in the same time.
I know something about recomp, but is it as effective as the old fashion way bulking and cutting?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How long have you been training? You could always do a recomp if you're wanting to loose a little fat still. Eat at or slightly above your TDEE...things won't change as quickly this way but you also won't gain fat like you're worried about!

andrieka

andrieka

Awards
I've been training for around 18 years (on and off), have last two years being consitence and start to research and start being serious to it
Can i gain 4lbs a month with recomp methode?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That would be more of a bulk than a recomp but you could benefit from a bulk! It's just up to you and what you'd prefer!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anytime! Just search around once...there's a ton of great info on here and lots of experience from all angles!