Working out arms every day?

panserag

Awards
Im curious to see how you guysfeel about lightly working out your bicep on a non-arm day.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I'm confused. Is it an arm day or not arm day?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I warmup my biceps on squat, bench, and back days. Usually inside and outside hammer curls 2x20-30. I wouldn't call it working them though. Just enough to get blood flowing. It seems to prevent injury for me.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Arms generally get worked every day without directly working them. I find if I add arm days too often then my elbows and shoulders get fatigued and sore quickly.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Plus you don't give your arms enough recovery time. Rest time is grow time. I know plenty of people who don't train arms directly and have strong, large, but also proportionate arms. I very rarely do any direct arm training. If you're doing your compounds correctly you probably don't need to.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Plus you don't give your arms enough recovery time. Rest time is grow time. I know plenty of people who don't train arms directly and have strong, large, but also proportionate arms. I very rarely do any direct arm training. If you're doing your compounds correctly you probably don't need to.
Quoted just for approval. haha

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on brotha!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
No need to put all your eggs in one basket. Direct arm training imo is essential alongside compound movements for proper and full hypertrophy potential

compudog

compudog

Awards
Depends on what you're doing. If you're doing bodybuilding, you have to train your arms I think. Bodybuilders have disproportionately large arms IMO. OTOH, if you're doing powerlifting, I don't think you have to train your arms directly, you'll get tons of indirect work from your compound lifts and accessory work, and your arms will be strong enough to do everything you need them to do.

That said, I've heard of a few programs that have people squatting every day. Stronglifts for instance, albeit only 3 days per week. John Broz has his lifters squatting 5 days a week though. I think if you can recover from squatting 5 days a week you should be able to recover from arms every day. I'd watch out for tendonitis though.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Over the years, i have just built a disdain against "arm guys" and I tend to poo poo on the notion of arm workouts being necessary outside of bodybuilding, as you mention. I'm not opposed to occasionally doing some sets of arms just to see the pump, but I don't feel it is required to build nice arms.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Without doing direct arm work my arms are proportionate, and while not being huge they are large. Women do notice them. My girl touches them all the time.