Rest/Pause and 5/3/1

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
So in the middle of my final set of deads I was pulling 270 for 15 reps, my question is, I rested 5 or 10 seconds between every three reps in the last part of the set. So figure it was essentially a cluster, can I still count that?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^I agree with Paul, as usual.

What text did you read saying to rest/pause your core lifts? I thought Wedler only specified rest/pause on assistance lifts only. Maybe he's got something else. Just curious.

Rest pause deadlifts sound absolutely terrible. IMO, that's not a lift that should be taken to fatigue like that.

And count em if you want brother. It's all one set until I step away from the bar lol

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually I deleted my post since it may have not been in accordance with Wendler's guidelines of 5/3/1!?
But in general, yes it is a single rest pause set, if one hangs onto bar in deads (gulping some air between reps and maybe even moving the hips up and down) and does not re-rack the bar in squats.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hm, with all the new Wendler stuff out now, as long as you follow the "5/3/1" part, he says do whatever lol

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Well as I've gathered, I'm not trying to compete, so **** it I'm counting it

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well as I've gathered, I'm not trying to compete, so **** it I'm counting it
Yep, the bottom line will be that, if you go in and do more next week or next month, you are moving in the right direction.
Another thing to remember about higher rep sets is, 1 of 2 things might/can be happening...

1) You lose strength as you go as the lactic acid builds and has your muscles burning and freezing up

2) You lose gas or the ability to suck enough air (like a cardio thing) while still having some strength and muscle power, but have to kinda pause to get more oxygen

This is kinda the difference between WSM guys and PL guys.
There were lots of strong guys who could do well in say 1 RM lifts, but when it came to doing really heavy lifts over a period, like stone carries, truck pulls, or multi rep log presses etc. they gassed out quicker and could not complete the event, even though they may have been stronger than their competition on the first rep or so.

acethetics

acethetics

Awards
If you can do 8+ reps with your final set on 5/3/1, the weight is obviously too light

unless you're talking about deload week?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you can do 8+ reps with your final set on 5/3/1, the weight is obviously too light unless you're talking about deload week?
I believe he considered it to be a rest/pause set, giving him more reps?

acethetics

acethetics

Awards
I believe he considered it to be a rest/pause set, giving him more reps?
Okay... but still, doing that many reps with the same weight seems counter intuitive with the whole concept of 5/3/1 to me....

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In any case, it is crazy to be deadlifting into reps like that. First off, what are you benefiting from in the 15 range, and why do it with a movement like the dl?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually higher rep deads 10's-12's-15's-20's, have been around for sometime and are perhaps more old school (see Peary Rader or Dr Ken stuff) do build your body, just like higher rep squats do.
While it is true that they are not for everyone and you have to let the ego at the door as you creep the weight up real slow over time, (same with singles) so as to not just throw caution to the wind and let the form change or loosen up the back, but they can work to build lots of power, work ethic, work capacity and mass (if adding food) over the entire body. One is most likely going to get carryover to heavier weight and lower reps from that kind of work too.
Probably guys more suited to the deadlifting (taller and longer legged) might benefit more from say a higher rep "trap bar" or PGDL (parallel grip deadlift) workout than say squats. But doing them, even if for a short stint, can be humbling.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Actually it was the first week of the program, however my app didn't update the weight and I calculated that 9 reps at 270 would only be a max of around 350, 15 reps at 270 is a calculated one rep max of around 405. And every now and then when I'm bulking I like to do a ridiculous day and pick a lift that I haven't really gone all out on and really test what my upper limit is. The real strength, and I'm not referring to the weight on the bar, shows.