Any Powerlifting advice?

Hondaman722

Awards
Been bodybuilding for a year, found a new interest in strength training instead of hypertrophy, any advice for strength cycles? Like 5x5 for how many weeks 5,3,1 etc? Any training regimes advice to build up on would be great. My main lifts would be compounds, bench deadlift squat and others :)

SPLocal

Awards
My story is similar to yours, but with three years of a bodybuilding background.
For what its worth, I find Wendler's 5/3/1 and its associated assistance/accessory templates to be very useful in "bridging the gap", so to speak, between strength and hypertrophy training.

I'm currently using Wendler's 5/3/1 for Powerlifting along with the SST assistance template, which essentially provides two major compound/barbell/power movements per session. After this is done, I bring in a bit of volume/pump work as well.

SPLocal

Awards
SPLocal Great advice thanks very much :)
No problem man, you can skim the log in my signature for more information on 5/3/1 for Powerlifting; if you are interested in Wendler as a whole I suggest picking up the recent "Beyond 5/3/1" book via Amazon, as it is the most recent template and he provides a much more nuanced/diversified approach to assistance work in it.

Hondaman722

Awards
I will have to do that! And I will view some of your posts! Once again thanks allot :D

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A few things...
Strength training ie: PL training can also have some good hypertrophy moves (especially with say assistance and or multi set and rep moves.) But to think it will not build mass is probably wrong, as many PLers are quite massive. (Food is a key of course)
The rule is most likely that lower (5's-3's-'2's) and single reps utilizing multi sets will help build towards your peak strength, as it also gets you used to heavier and heavier loads and helps train the CNS to fire with speed and power thus lifting heavier.
* Remember to go slowly into this lower rep stuff however, as it will take a bit longer to strengthen the "tendons and ligaments" than just the muscle fiber recruitment. And always keep the form near perfect.

More sets and lower reps ie: anywhere from 3-8 sets of x5's x3's x2's x1's are more linked to strength training but also build bulk if you are eating enough (food, will always have a big link to size and mass.) If you Google Prilpin's table to get an idea of the sets and load percentages, this is usually what a lot of power/strength routines can be based off of.
"Wendler's 531" might be a good look and certainly it looks like his new book "Beyond 531" apparently has some good info.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Been bodybuilding for a year, found a new interest in strength training instead of hypertrophy, any advice for strength cycles? Like 5x5 for how many weeks 5,3,1 etc? Any training regimes advice to build up on would be great. My main lifts would be compounds, bench deadlift squat and others :)
In a similar situation. I've been a natural bodybuilder my whole life but I've recently got into strength. I still approach training with the tactics of a bodybuilder i.e. closer stance deep squats, flared elbows on the bench. I've always liked the training videos of lee priest, and I've always implemented his form and mechanics in training. Go for strength bro, it will thicken up your body and is a necessity as far as I'm concerned if you are natty. Just make sure you never sacrifice your form for the sake of lifting heavier, especially if hypertrophy is your goal. Also, don't lift with a belt or straps wraps (unless you are injured).

rockme

rockme

Awards
5/3/1 is ok. If you've only got a year of training, I suggest any of mark rippetoes 5x5 templates. When you stall a couple times in those then you can implement something craftier

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First thing you'll find is that you need to overhaul your technique as what you've learned is going to be completely wrong. PLing is about training movements and not muscles. Devote about a year to learning to optimal technique and focus more so on that than actual numbers as it'll benefit you in the long run.

SPLocal

Awards
First thing you'll find is that you need to overhaul your technique as what you've learned is going to be completely wrong. PLing is about training movements and not muscles. Devote about a year to learning to optimal technique and focus more so on that than actual numbers as it'll benefit you in the long run.
Fact.

And this is entirely what I'm doing; OP you'll likely take a substantial drop in weights moved as you adjust but a properly performed repetition with a "lower" weight than you may be used to will do far, far more for your strength/stamina/physique than any sort of pseudo-rep ego lifting.

Also as stated before, start slow and be open to humbling yourself!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Read a lot of articles. Watch so you think you can bench, squat, deadlift etc. connect with other PLers in your gym to help coach your form.. and never take constructive criticism as an insult.