back pain during hyperextension??

powerseeker

Awards
I recently came off a lay off due to snap crackle popping my back during a terrible DL attempt, and my back hurts in a funny way after yesterdays squat day. Started off laughably light, 225. Was doing 5 sets of ten, but stopped on my fourth set because my back felt slightly funny. Went to the chiro but got the same "dont ever squat or deadlift" bull**** theyre so fond of. I wanted some opinions before i drop 200$+ on a sports PT. basically, its localized lowerish back pain, no leg or glute pain, and it only really flares up when i sit a specific way or, more dependably, when i hyperextend. Its not crushing pain either, sharp for sure, but manageable. Srangely enough does NOT hurt if i do a squat. Any ideas from experienced PL'ers? Thanks in advance guys

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recently came off a lay off due to snap crackle popping my back during a terrible DL attempt, and my back hurts in a funny way after yesterdays squat day. Started off laughably light, 225. Was doing 5 sets of ten, but stopped on my fourth set because my back felt slightly funny. Went to the chiro but got the same "dont ever squat or deadlift" bull**** theyre so fond of. I wanted some opinions before i drop 200$+ on a sports PT. basically, its localized lowerish back pain, no leg or glute pain, and it only really flares up when i sit a specific way or, more dependably, when i hyperextend. Its not crushing pain either, sharp for sure, but manageable. Srangely enough does NOT hurt if i do a squat. Any ideas from experienced PL'ers? Thanks in advance guys
Sounds like it could be a strained muscle. (Or pulled/torn depending on severity, definitely sounds muscular though)

Does it hurt on one side of the spine, or is it just across the lower back?

powerseeker

Awards
Seems pretty even across. Warming up with stretches and weightless good mornings helps a lot. Thanks for the quick reply btw

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seems pretty even across. Warming up with stretches and weightless good mornings helps a lot. Thanks for the quick reply btw
Kimchee (sp?) normally posts in these.

He'd have a better answer than I, I am sure.

But that's my best guess based upon what you said.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So that is all the chiro said!?
I mean did he explain at all what you could have done to it and any exercises/stretching/movements to help?
Did you feel any better after the adjustments?
Did he give you any remedies to try RICE etc.!?
I have had low back pain from squats/DL's etc. on and off my entire lifting career 20+ years.
I also like chiros and or PT's who have some experience lifting, since they can be much more sympathetic and experienced in stuff like this.
When I have had a strain of some sort (and i have no idea what you may have!?) Usually getting away from heavy work for a few weeks makes me feel 80%-90% better.
Hardest point here to take home, might be to know your form and keep sticking it. When it crashes on a PR single or rep attempt, STOP and know that is exceeding your limit, or above all, your "CONTROL" of that certain weight. Check the ego at the door.

powerseeker

Awards
@ jimbuick

Thanks for your help man. Hopefully the guy you said drops by and gives his opinion too.
PaulBlack
Yes thats all the chiro said. The adjustment helped a bit, but the pain (mixed in with good ol fashioned soreness) is def still there. As for your advice on form, its easy to say it, but who hasnt tried to get that last bit up on jacked up form at least once or twice? Thanks anyway for your input

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As for your advice on form, its easy to say it, but who hasnt tried to get that last bit up on jacked up form at least once or twice? Thanks anyway for your input
Right, and I was not trying to be a form cop, god knows. However, knowing the difference between some rounding but still staying tight and losing it to a point where you're compromised by then losing 2-4 weeks of heavy training, is work knowing.
Hang in there

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with paulblack. Getting a person who has experience is great. My chiro competed for like 12 years and still lifts so he gives great advice for staying injury free. My buddies he used to go to said the same thing yours did. Depending on the problem and the person the opinions will vary greatly.

powerseeker

Awards
Was a minor strain coupled with tightness it seems. Im good again. Gonna live on posterior chain strengthening from now on. Dont ever want to worry about this **** again. Thanks for thr advice y'all

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was a minor strain coupled with tightness it seems.
I have had many thru out my training life.

Gonna live on posterior chain strengthening from now on. Dont ever want to worry about this **** again.
Well, it is a nice thought to believe it will never happen again, but from my experiences with deads, squats and even everyday life, these things happen thru life. It is just part of the game. Certainly nothing wrong with trying to bullet proof something, but honestly, these kinds of things are more or less part of the risks that go along with lifting. You can keep them at a minimum by knowing when you are losing control of the weight.

badwolf42

Awards
how deep is pain? sounds to me like you could have pissed off the facet capsular ligs. or irritated the disk(with the pain you describe you could have torn a few of the outer fibers without compromising the integrity of the disk). you could also have an avulsion fracture or two which really aren't that uncommon in pwrlifting and aren't terribly problematic.

powerseeker

Awards
The last reply just made me **** bricks. I thought any soft tissue (disk) damage came with pain radiating to the legs? No pain in the legs and while the pain was sharp, it went away after 2 days, stretched only the day after the injury. Ibuprofene (1200 mg, wnt by the bodyweight formula) helped a crapload too so that made me think it had to be muscular. Back still feels tight ish tho.

Its been 7 days since i tweaked it. Should i not hit squats later today? I was thinking, muscular so work through it but like i said that last post has me ****ting bricks. Thanks for all the help yall

badwolf42

Awards
As long as the pain is not very much and you don't have to take pain killers to train then go for it. even if it is one of the conditions i mentioned as long as most of the pain is gone and you don't aggravate it during training you won't be making it worse by training.

even if its the disk the damage was probably minor and it'll heal up. its most likely the mus like you treated it as anyway