HOW TO INCREASE BENCH PRESS AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.76%

HOW TO INCREASE BENCH PRESS AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE

OK HERE IT IS. I HAVE BEEN UPPING MY GAME, AND I RECENTLY CROSSED SOME STRENGTH PLATEUS. I AM 32 SO THIS IS NOT AS EASY AS IT WAS BACK IN THE DAY. SO I WENT FROM 250 TO 285 IN BENCH AND GAINED 12 POUNDS FROM 170 TO 182. WHAT SHOULD I EAT TAKE AND DO TO HIT 300? I WANT TO GET THERE FAST BUT NOT INJURE MYSELF. I LIKE THE SMITH MACHINE BECAUSE IT FEELS GOOD AND HEALTHY. ALSO PLEASE INCLUDE A CARDIO ROUTINE. I WANT TO KEEP BODYFAT AS LOW AS POSSIBLE AND CONDITION MY HEART BUT NOT EAT MUSCLE.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.87%

What does your diet and routine look like currently? Are you eating clean? What are your stats? You gave minimal info for a lot of questions to be answered...
    *~The Pain You Feel Today, Will Be the Strength You Feel Tomorrow~*
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.76%

DIET:

6AM 4 EGGS AND A BANANA (MAY EAT TWO BANANAS)
    8:30-9AM 8OZ LEAN GROUND TURKEY AND A HALF A YAM
    11:30-12:30 80Z LEAN GROUND TURKEY AND A HALF A YAM
    3-4PM PENUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH
    MUNCH ON ALMONDS THROUGHT THE DAY AND SOMETIMES LIKE CARROTS OR CELERY
    HAVE A LITTLE SOMETHING TO MUNCH BEFORE WORKOUT COUPLE BITES OF WHATEVER MY WIFE IS MAKING OR SOME MORE ALMONDS OR A BAGEL AND PENUT BUTTER
    THEN I WORK OUT AROUND 6:30 TO ABOUT 830
    EAT PROTEIN SHAKE AND 16OZ OF LEAN TURKEY WITH LOW SUGAR KETCHUP
    MAY ADD A PICKLE
    MAY ADD AN EGG

THAT'S ABOUT IT
    EVERY FEW DAYS I'LL CHEAT WITH A BURGER OR LASAGNA OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT
    klajsd;flksaj;faksj;faksdf
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

First, turn off caps lock.

Second, the fastest way to increase bench press is to improve your technique.

Watch the "So You Think You Can Bench" series on YouTube.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.33%

use barbells (even when you do military on shoulder day) dont overtrain! 1 set to failure, train heavy do negatives. have your major sets be on flat. do a few incline. then like 2 decline then 1 maybe 2 flys and thats it. start training your triceps same day as chest. you will get their. and of course eat alot and sleep alot
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.95%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I agree with Jim. EXCEPT before you work on technique, get off of the smith machine. It does not allow a proper bar path and can actually be more dangerous than free bench press. You shouldn't compare numbers between bench press and smith machine bench press as its a completely different exercise.

Watch that video. Perfect technique. Eat. Lift. What's your current training programming?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I agree with Jim. EXCEPT before you work on technique, get off of the smith machine. It does not allow a proper bar path and can actually be more dangerous than free bench press. You shouldn't compare numbers between bench press and smith machine bench press as its a completely different exercise.

Watch that video. Perfect technique. Eat. Lift. What's your current training programming?
    Lol I didn't even read his post.

It was in all caps and too obnoxious, I just answered based upon the title.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.76%

Thanks for the insight sorry bout the caps lock
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

lol smith machine?

smith machine 285lb =\= barbell 285lbs

the smith machine is counter weighted so the bar weight is pretty much 0lb. and the machine part makes it easier to press since there is no stabilizing or balancing the bar. it also teaches incorrected movement and form since its very linear, and a barbell bench press isnt completely linear. its not healthy and youre not as strong as you think
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%
    Achievements Posting Pro

As long as you're eating enough your diet won't make a huge difference in your strength, and by eating enough I mean enough to keep your body fat relatively *high*, yes I said high, if it's too low you won't be able to get stronger easily.

Second thing is, you're working out too long, as Tom was alluding to. 2 hours is way overdoing it, in my opinion anyway. As a basic template you should do 1 main lift per workout, then assistance exercises for that day. 1 hour is a pretty long workout. 531 is a great resource in terms of getting your program sorted out.

Third thing is, if you want to get better at bench press, get better at squats. The setup from the waist up is very similar. Once you learn how to correctly pick up a heavy bar on your traps you'll understand how to position yourself on the bench. If you want to increase your strength at bench press, work on your overhead press. Overhead press will build up those traps.

Last thing is, do what Jim said and abandon that smith machine! It forces you into terrible form and will blow your shoulders up if you use it to do heavy bench presses over time. Don't be discouraged if you have to lower your weights when you move to a proper bench, they will come back up. I've restrategised that way lots of times, just make it a project.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.76%

thanks compudog and everyone else. i guess i will research this 5 3 1 thing. what exactly is it? I just like the smith machine because you don't always need a spot.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.76%

the whole idea is to get stronger. i guess you are right i am not quite as strong as i thought i was. Thanks
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by theish11 View Post
    thanks compudog and everyone else. i guess i will research this 5 3 1 thing. what exactly is it? I just like the smith machine because you don't always need a spot.
    531 is a power lifting based program made by Jim Wendler. You can read about it in the book by the same name. It's dead simple but also extremely well engineered. It teaches you to work in the 5-1 rep range, i.e. at 80-95% of your max.

Once your technique gets better you won't need a spot all that often, because you'll be more dialed in on where your strength is at. Generally speaking you'll know before you attempt a lift whether you can do it or not. You may not know for sure how many reps you'll get out of a given weight but you'll know when you're on the last one.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.95%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

5/3/1 isn't a powerlifting program per say. It's a strength training program. You also won't work near 95% because you chop 10% off of your real max when you begin.

But yes it's simple and works great
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.35%

This guy has 5 3 1 written all over him. Try it out man.
    Orbit Nutrition Rep
    Coupon code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbitnutrition.com
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.1%

I switched from strong lifts 5x5 to 5/3/1 when I plateaued on progressive loading. 5/3/1 is rad. I never really thought about tracking weight/reps PRs instead of 1RM before but I really like this part of 5/3/1. Each week you wave load based in % of your 1RM. First week is 5 reps. Next week is 3. Last week is 5/3/1. Your last set you can push the weight for as many reps as you want. Your weight/reps PRs can be compared to your 1RM using a formula ( weight x reps x 0.0333 ) + weight. its pretty accurate at least for me. Once you're done with the main lift you can do some accessory lifts or same exercise for 5 sets of 10. You won't work with your 1rm weights for several cycles but it does not matter. You will get stronger. Another tip on bench is build up your triceps and lats. You can get most of 5/3/1 for free including templates for your %. I was happy to pay the $20 or whatever to buy the full e-book. Elite Fts . Com sells it. Follow the plan and get all your lifts up.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.68%

overload training with something like a slingshot or a shirt and board presses. just get used to handling heavier weight and your max will go up pretty quick. dont worry about time, do a set. rest and dont start another set untill your feeling plenty rested.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.03%

Squat
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.68%

build up your lower lat strength

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 02:59 PM
  2. Best way to increase bench press strength
    By Superdoad in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
  3. How to Increase Your Bench Press
    By BigBosstrom in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
  4. How to absorb 5% or 10% cream as opposed to 1% also which is best?
    By 1Ainslie in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 07:22 PM
  5. How to Increase my Squat
    By IronMarc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM