HOW TO INCREASE BENCH PRESS AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE

theish11

theish11

Awards
OK HERE IT IS. I HAVE BEEN UPPING MY GAME, AND I RECENTLY CROSSED SOME STRENGTH PLATEUS. I AM 32 SO THIS IS NOT AS EASY AS IT WAS BACK IN THE DAY. SO I WENT FROM 250 TO 285 IN BENCH AND GAINED 12 POUNDS FROM 170 TO 182. WHAT SHOULD I EAT TAKE AND DO TO HIT 300? I WANT TO GET THERE FAST BUT NOT INJURE MYSELF. I LIKE THE SMITH MACHINE BECAUSE IT FEELS GOOD AND HEALTHY. ALSO PLEASE INCLUDE A CARDIO ROUTINE. I WANT TO KEEP BODYFAT AS LOW AS POSSIBLE AND CONDITION MY HEART BUT NOT EAT MUSCLE.

rreppert1

Awards
  • Established
What does your diet and routine look like currently? Are you eating clean? What are your stats? You gave minimal info for a lot of questions to be answered...

theish11

theish11

Awards
DIET:

6AM 4 EGGS AND A BANANA (MAY EAT TWO BANANAS)
8:30-9AM 8OZ LEAN GROUND TURKEY AND A HALF A YAM
11:30-12:30 80Z LEAN GROUND TURKEY AND A HALF A YAM
3-4PM PENUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH
MUNCH ON ALMONDS THROUGHT THE DAY AND SOMETIMES LIKE CARROTS OR CELERY
HAVE A LITTLE SOMETHING TO MUNCH BEFORE WORKOUT COUPLE BITES OF WHATEVER MY WIFE IS MAKING OR SOME MORE ALMONDS OR A BAGEL AND PENUT BUTTER
THEN I WORK OUT AROUND 6:30 TO ABOUT 830
EAT PROTEIN SHAKE AND 16OZ OF LEAN TURKEY WITH LOW SUGAR KETCHUP
MAY ADD A PICKLE
MAY ADD AN EGG

THAT'S ABOUT IT
EVERY FEW DAYS I'LL CHEAT WITH A BURGER OR LASAGNA OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, turn off caps lock.

Second, the fastest way to increase bench press is to improve your technique.

Watch the "So You Think You Can Bench" series on YouTube.

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
use barbells (even when you do military on shoulder day) dont overtrain! 1 set to failure, train heavy do negatives. have your major sets be on flat. do a few incline. then like 2 decline then 1 maybe 2 flys and thats it. start training your triceps same day as chest. you will get their. and of course eat alot and sleep alot

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with Jim. EXCEPT before you work on technique, get off of the smith machine. It does not allow a proper bar path and can actually be more dangerous than free bench press. You shouldn't compare numbers between bench press and smith machine bench press as its a completely different exercise.

Watch that video. Perfect technique. Eat. Lift. What's your current training programming?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with Jim. EXCEPT before you work on technique, get off of the smith machine. It does not allow a proper bar path and can actually be more dangerous than free bench press. You shouldn't compare numbers between bench press and smith machine bench press as its a completely different exercise.

Watch that video. Perfect technique. Eat. Lift. What's your current training programming?
Lol I didn't even read his post.

It was in all caps and too obnoxious, I just answered based upon the title.

theish11

theish11

Awards
Thanks for the insight sorry bout the caps lock

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
lol smith machine?

smith machine 285lb =\= barbell 285lbs

the smith machine is counter weighted so the bar weight is pretty much 0lb. and the machine part makes it easier to press since there is no stabilizing or balancing the bar. it also teaches incorrected movement and form since its very linear, and a barbell bench press isnt completely linear. its not healthy and youre not as strong as you think

compudog

compudog

Awards
As long as you're eating enough your diet won't make a huge difference in your strength, and by eating enough I mean enough to keep your body fat relatively *high*, yes I said high, if it's too low you won't be able to get stronger easily.

Second thing is, you're working out too long, as Tom was alluding to. 2 hours is way overdoing it, in my opinion anyway. As a basic template you should do 1 main lift per workout, then assistance exercises for that day. 1 hour is a pretty long workout. 531 is a great resource in terms of getting your program sorted out.

Third thing is, if you want to get better at bench press, get better at squats. The setup from the waist up is very similar. Once you learn how to correctly pick up a heavy bar on your traps you'll understand how to position yourself on the bench. If you want to increase your strength at bench press, work on your overhead press. Overhead press will build up those traps.

Last thing is, do what Jim said and abandon that smith machine! It forces you into terrible form and will blow your shoulders up if you use it to do heavy bench presses over time. Don't be discouraged if you have to lower your weights when you move to a proper bench, they will come back up. I've restrategised that way lots of times, just make it a project.

theish11

theish11

Awards
thanks compudog and everyone else. i guess i will research this 5 3 1 thing. what exactly is it? I just like the smith machine because you don't always need a spot.

theish11

theish11

Awards
the whole idea is to get stronger. i guess you are right i am not quite as strong as i thought i was. Thanks

compudog

compudog

Awards
thanks compudog and everyone else. i guess i will research this 5 3 1 thing. what exactly is it? I just like the smith machine because you don't always need a spot.
531 is a power lifting based program made by Jim Wendler. You can read about it in the book by the same name. It's dead simple but also extremely well engineered. It teaches you to work in the 5-1 rep range, i.e. at 80-95% of your max.

Once your technique gets better you won't need a spot all that often, because you'll be more dialed in on where your strength is at. Generally speaking you'll know before you attempt a lift whether you can do it or not. You may not know for sure how many reps you'll get out of a given weight but you'll know when you're on the last one.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 isn't a powerlifting program per say. It's a strength training program. You also won't work near 95% because you chop 10% off of your real max when you begin.

But yes it's simple and works great

Jcweinsx

Awards
I switched from strong lifts 5x5 to 5/3/1 when I plateaued on progressive loading. 5/3/1 is rad. I never really thought about tracking weight/reps PRs instead of 1RM before but I really like this part of 5/3/1. Each week you wave load based in % of your 1RM. First week is 5 reps. Next week is 3. Last week is 5/3/1. Your last set you can push the weight for as many reps as you want. Your weight/reps PRs can be compared to your 1RM using a formula ( weight x reps x 0.0333 ) + weight. its pretty accurate at least for me. Once you're done with the main lift you can do some accessory lifts or same exercise for 5 sets of 10. You won't work with your 1rm weights for several cycles but it does not matter. You will get stronger. Another tip on bench is build up your triceps and lats. You can get most of 5/3/1 for free including templates for your %. I was happy to pay the $20 or whatever to buy the full e-book. Elite Fts . Com sells it. Follow the plan and get all your lifts up.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
overload training with something like a slingshot or a shirt and board presses. just get used to handling heavier weight and your max will go up pretty quick. dont worry about time, do a set. rest and dont start another set untill your feeling plenty rested.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
build up your lower lat strength