Dealing with deload week.

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
Im currently in the middle of deload and this has to be the most boring thing of all time. I love to train and i feel so empty without it lol. How do u guys cope

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im currently in the middle of deload and this has to be the most boring thing of all time. I love to train and i feel so empty without it lol. How do u guys cope
Stay active another way not weight related. And know that when you return your potential for growth/fat loss/etc will be greatly improved bc your body got needed rest and recovery. Think of a deload as a way to trick your body so when you start hammering it again it actually responds more...

Deathyetforce

Deathyetforce

Awards
Stay active another way not weight related. And know that when you return your potential for growth/fat loss/etc will be greatly improved bc your body got needed rest and recovery. Think of a deload as a way to trick your body so when you start hammering it again it actually responds more...
Yeah i know wht its for im just not having a good time w it lol.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do a bunch of low intensity cardio (~30-40 minutes), sometimes sports with friends, which is higher intensity but nothing near doing HIIT which will work against you during a deload.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Mobility, stretching and conditioning...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I hear ya. I feel like they are a waste of time, but they are not really, if you look at the bigger picture. I usually feel like I need one after a hard month to 6 week cycle, but I sometimes even then, hesitate.
Look at it like a long meal, where you are feeding the body with blood and recovery nutrients.
I usually do lighter higher rep BBing pump stuff and the week goes by purty quick ;-)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
experiment with new exercises. giant sets. supersets.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
supersets are the shizzzz. its a staple in my regiment

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
i hate them to.....but when i hit my DLW i still do my workout except i go 50% on all weights and kick up my cardio abit. i cant wait till that week is over so i can stop feeling like a girl :)

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
My de-load wks where same sets and reps but with 70% of maxs... Same rest time everything. That way you get some work in and still fill like you did something but not enough to feel is 2days later. I pl'd for years under joe de'marco of the OG west side barbell club. Not LS.

rockme

rockme

Awards
I just wrapped up a 6 week PL cycle and am fried. Planning to be completely inactive for 7 days and then following that up with 50% 1RM x 3 sets x 10 reps on all barbell lifts for a week. So I figure it would be a 2 week deload. Sound good?

Jcweinsx

Awards
Think about it from a different perspective. Training breaks your body down. Rest and proper nutrition allow your body to rebuild itself stronger. Do some light gym work practicing your movement patterns and form. Find other low intensity things you like to do to keep your mind off the fact that you're not busy killing it in the gym.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Would these not stimulate the CNS too much, thus defeating the purpose of deload?
This is how I approach it. New movement patterns will stimulate the CNS to a greater degree simply bc, again, it's a new pattern. Provided, I don't think it will be anything severe if the load and volume is tempered as it should be but I, personally, still avoid incorporating new exercises during these times.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doing a new exercise isn't going to be counterproductive to a deload. CNS fatigue is very misunderstood on here and doing something new will tax the muscular system more so than the CNS and, no, they are not the same. I actually prefer to implement something new to give me something to look forward to during my deload weeks. Obviously, this isn't going to be anything near 90%, but there's nothing wrong with trying something novel. During my deloads, the only thing I alter is the percentage on my main lift for the day. Volume is more or less the same with roughly the same weight. The only exception to this is the week immediately following a meet.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My guess is, guys who fear or dread deloads, can be the ones most in need or best to learn how to manage them. Being able to be okay with letting up to 50% for a week, without the thoughts that all the hard gains will dry up over night is tough to shed. Believe me.
Only recently have I backed off for a good 2-3 weeks to regroup and my grip strength and libido (apparent good markers) have been up quite a bit again. Sure younger guys rebound better and I am no longer in my youthyness.
Learning good deloading as you get more and more advanced, is an art, just like knowing how to push really hard too.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I hate deloading, I don't really do it. Like the guy in the video said, if you're squatting 800+ it's probably a necessity, otherwise it's a waste of time.