and_drew17

Awards
What is a good powerlifting total for a high school meet at 165 class

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't get too caught up in the placements. Powerlifting is about competing with yourself and being stronger than you were before. What were your lifts? A 900 total in high school at 165 is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

and_drew17

and_drew17

Awards
Don't get too caught up in the placements. Powerlifting is about competing with yourself and being stronger than you were before. What were your lifts? A 900 total in high school at 165 is certainly nothing to sneeze at.
Well since it was my first meet I messed up on the first to lifts I got scratched twice on squat twice in bench for moving my dam* foot and it was 265 could have been 330 but scratched bench 215 first lift then scratched the second and third which were 250 clean press but moved my heel twice and dead lift 420

and_drew17

and_drew17

Awards
Is that a bad thing that I got 900?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, that's what I'm saying. It's not bad at all. Especially a 420 deadlift for a young middleweight. You'll make big additions to your total with time. I was a well-developed and experienced lifter when I was in high school, and I've still added ~200lbs to my total since then (I'm 23 now.) Judges are strict, but that's what keeps you honest. How many average gym rats have you seen quarter squatting and trampolining the bar off of their chest on bench?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It won't take long man. I started with a 1000lb total 2 years ago and have close to 1400 now. Have yet to compete though. Just keep training. Keep on it especially since you're younger..everything will skyrocket.

and_drew17

and_drew17

Awards
No, that's what I'm saying. It's not bad at all. Especially a 420 deadlift for a young middleweight. You'll make big additions to your total with time. I was a well-developed and experienced lifter when I was in high school, and I've still added ~200lbs to my total since then (I'm 23 now.) Judges are strict, but that's what keeps you honest. How many average gym rats have you seen quarter squatting and trampolining the bar off of their chest on bench?
Youre right Thanks bro

and_drew17

and_drew17

Awards
It won't take long man. I started with a 1000lb total 2 years ago and have close to 1400 now. Have yet to compete though. Just keep training. Keep on it especially since you're younger..everything will skyrocket.
Yeah I'll keep at it I want to get to that 1000 mark I need to work on my squat a lot

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
900 is dam good man! Especially with strict judging! I'm right around the same size (much older tho) and I total out around 875....prob closer to 800 with a strict judge! Keep at it bro, you're numbers will be huge in a year or two

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fixed.

The meets here in TX are always run by the super anal and inconsistent USAPL judges that always waver.
Lol. Good to see they are the same in TX as they are in Pa.

and_drew17

and_drew17

Awards
Fixed.

The meets here in TX are always run by the super anal and inconsistent USAPL judges that always waver.
Hell yeah for a twitch or a heel come on now and I believe it is fixed we played Shepard and the coaches were the ref they won of course rednecks for you

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
for a high school meet at 165 class
700 good, 800 damn good, 900!!! heck yeah
Depending on age too, since that would be a factor as to how much one is still growing.

As far as using reg standards from comps, I might guess they'd be a bit higher, as some of those more elite lifters are assisted in other ways PEDS etc.
For a teen using natural strength those are pretty damn good IMO, as it is one thing to do the lifts in a gym atmosphere, but to do all 3 of them under pressure, in a meet and successive, is a bit different too.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Never competed and all my PR's are in the gym. I try to perform every single lift with solid form, but bottom line is probably every one of those PRs wouldn't hold up in a meet. Too on the edge of my ability, true maxes. Any total you can pull in a meet is gonna be fully within your limits, especially considering you have to muster the energy to do it all in one day. My 1200 personal gym total would probably be 1100 or so in a meet.

You should be proud man, keep training and don't be scared to compete again! It's only against yourself