First Meet... I need Tips - AnabolicMinds.com

First Meet... I need Tips

1. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

First Meet... I need Tips

I'm going to my first high school football lifting meet and will by doing squat bench and deadlift and i got a bench shirt and squat suit and was wondering if you guys had any tips regarding just lifting more weight and any other things...thanks

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by 8ATHLETE
    I'm going to my first high school football lifting meet and will by doing squat bench and deadlift and i got a bench shirt and squat suit and was wondering if you guys had any tips regarding just lifting more weight and any other things...thanks
    Don't worry about cutting weight or your total, just get the experience. Try to go 9 for 9. Do you know how to use your shirt and squat suit? I say don't use them if it's your first meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by 8ATHLETE View Post
    Is it a real shirt/suit or is it the glorified spandex gear?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

Don't worry about cutting weight or your total, just get the experience. Try to go 9 for 9. Do you know how to use your shirt and squat suit? I say don't use them if it's your first meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Second this. You need to practice your form in equipment first. Not just try it once or so. I've only ever worn a bench shirt and the technique felt worlds different to me.
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

yea im ordering this weekend and the meet is 22nd of february and yea thats what i want to do is go 9 for 9 and what suit and bench shirt.... should i get just the 40.00 beginner spandex shirt and suit are tehy any good?
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

yea im ordering this weekend and the meet is 22nd of february and yea thats what i want to do is go 9 for 9 and what suit and bench shirt.... should i get just the 40.00 beginner spandex shirt and suit are tehy any good?
    They don't add much and are like a thick pair of compression shorts instead of a true shirt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

okay if i would get a actual bench shirt would it add decent weight
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

okay if i would get a actual bench shirt would it add decent weight
    Yes, but it changes the movement pattern compared to a raw bench. People think that gear is magic, but it takes a lot of effort and technical alteration before you get anything out of it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

oh okay but it looks like I'm still going to get 1 because my coaches are stressing it especially for my weight class
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

oh okay but it looks like I'm still going to get 1 because my coaches are stressing it especially for my weight class
    I hope your coaches stress technical proficiency more than the gear. The technical aspect becomes more and more important with each ply of gear that you add.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.

they did say you need to practice but its almost here the meet and they said just to get the cheapest ones...really theres no point, and but to be honest i hate football powerlifting with those ****in snatches and that ****, we overtrain so i don't do any upper body there and bodybuilding upper body splits at home...tell me if this is overtraining on squats.... tuesday is heavy double- 2 warmups sets of 10 and then 10/8/8/6/4/4/2/ light weight failure reps and they increase our heavy double 10-20 pounds every week lol and then we squat 3 days later doing 4 sets of 5 heavy with 3 warm ups and front squats and we will do over head squats in there
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

they did say you need to practice but its almost here the meet and they said just to get the cheapest ones...really theres no point, and but to be honest i hate football powerlifting with those ****in snatches and that ****, we overtrain so i don't do any upper body there and bodybuilding upper body splits at home...tell me if this is overtraining on squats.... tuesday is heavy double- 2 warmups sets of 10 and then 10/8/8/6/4/4/2/ light weight failure reps and they increase our heavy double 10-20 pounds every week lol and then we squat 3 days later doing 4 sets of 5 heavy with 3 warm ups and front squats and we will do over head squats in there
    If you're adding weight, then you're not overtraining. It's a lot of volume, but you're young and have very high recovery and a high overall capacity.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

I hope your experienced with the equipment your going to use. You cant just hop in suits and expect to know how to lift with them. If your familiar with the suit then just go have fun and lift some heavy ass weight.
  14. New Member

Choose a really light opener on all of your lifts....missing your first attempt because it was too heavy will take all of your confidience away for the rest of the meet...choose weights that you could hit if you had the flu, you can always go up on your second and third attempts. i have seen more elite athletes bomb out of meets because of this one thing. Nobody cares what your opener is, its where you finish(third attempt) that matters
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

Don't bother getting the suits at least to use this time. When you do get them spend the money on a quality pair!!! Some of these guys make great points on change in technique and your lifting plane will change as well. All things to consider and if you have issues adjusting(with the gear) your confidence will be shaken and we don't want that!!! Good luck!!!
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    Choose a really light opener on all of your lifts....missing your first attempt because it was too heavy will take all of your confidience away for the rest of the meet...choose weights that you could hit if you had the flu, you can always go up on your second and third attempts. i have seen more elite athletes bomb out of meets because of this one thing. Nobody cares what your opener is, its where you finish(third attempt) that matters
    Yeah, that point. Getting that first lift to just more or less snap up, is great for the confidence and momentum and keeping back some, aids as some heavy warmup for your PR's or max try.
    Max gym lifts are a bit different than max comp lifts.
    All the best and go get 'em
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. First cycle yet IML's Halodrol Extreme- Need tips
    By ThomasRe in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
  2. Need tips B4 my first H-Roid cycle & PCT!
    By Relapse62982 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
  3. Needing Tips For First M-drol Cycle
    By djglow05 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM
  4. hey guys first cycle experts needed...
    By mr.marcus in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 06:24 PM
  5. first "real" cycle .. need advice
    By BodySlam in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 11:41 PM