First Meet... I need Tips

8ATHLETE

Banned
Awards
I'm going to my first high school football lifting meet and will by doing squat bench and deadlift and i got a bench shirt and squat suit and was wondering if you guys had any tips regarding just lifting more weight and any other things...thanks

napalm

napalm

Awards
I'm going to my first high school football lifting meet and will by doing squat bench and deadlift and i got a bench shirt and squat suit and was wondering if you guys had any tips regarding just lifting more weight and any other things...thanks
Don't worry about cutting weight or your total, just get the experience. Try to go 9 for 9. Do you know how to use your shirt and squat suit? I say don't use them if it's your first meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it a real shirt/suit or is it the glorified spandex gear?

ITW

ITW

Awards
Don't worry about cutting weight or your total, just get the experience. Try to go 9 for 9. Do you know how to use your shirt and squat suit? I say don't use them if it's your first meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
Second this. You need to practice your form in equipment first. Not just try it once or so. I've only ever worn a bench shirt and the technique felt worlds different to me.

8ATHLETE

Banned
Awards
yea im ordering this weekend and the meet is 22nd of february and yea thats what i want to do is go 9 for 9 and what suit and bench shirt.... should i get just the 40.00 beginner spandex shirt and suit are tehy any good?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea im ordering this weekend and the meet is 22nd of february and yea thats what i want to do is go 9 for 9 and what suit and bench shirt.... should i get just the 40.00 beginner spandex shirt and suit are tehy any good?
They don't add much and are like a thick pair of compression shorts instead of a true shirt.

8ATHLETE

Banned
Awards
okay if i would get a actual bench shirt would it add decent weight

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
okay if i would get a actual bench shirt would it add decent weight
Yes, but it changes the movement pattern compared to a raw bench. People think that gear is magic, but it takes a lot of effort and technical alteration before you get anything out of it.

8ATHLETE

Banned
Awards
oh okay but it looks like I'm still going to get 1 because my coaches are stressing it especially for my weight class

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh okay but it looks like I'm still going to get 1 because my coaches are stressing it especially for my weight class
I hope your coaches stress technical proficiency more than the gear. The technical aspect becomes more and more important with each ply of gear that you add.

8ATHLETE

Banned
Awards
they did say you need to practice but its almost here the meet and they said just to get the cheapest ones...really theres no point, and but to be honest i hate football powerlifting with those ****in snatches and that ****, we overtrain so i don't do any upper body there and bodybuilding upper body splits at home...tell me if this is overtraining on squats.... tuesday is heavy double- 2 warmups sets of 10 and then 10/8/8/6/4/4/2/ light weight failure reps and they increase our heavy double 10-20 pounds every week lol and then we squat 3 days later doing 4 sets of 5 heavy with 3 warm ups and front squats and we will do over head squats in there

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they did say you need to practice but its almost here the meet and they said just to get the cheapest ones...really theres no point, and but to be honest i hate football powerlifting with those ****in snatches and that ****, we overtrain so i don't do any upper body there and bodybuilding upper body splits at home...tell me if this is overtraining on squats.... tuesday is heavy double- 2 warmups sets of 10 and then 10/8/8/6/4/4/2/ light weight failure reps and they increase our heavy double 10-20 pounds every week lol and then we squat 3 days later doing 4 sets of 5 heavy with 3 warm ups and front squats and we will do over head squats in there
If you're adding weight, then you're not overtraining. It's a lot of volume, but you're young and have very high recovery and a high overall capacity.

jk423

Awards
I hope your experienced with the equipment your going to use. You cant just hop in suits and expect to know how to lift with them. If your familiar with the suit then just go have fun and lift some heavy ass weight.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
Choose a really light opener on all of your lifts....missing your first attempt because it was too heavy will take all of your confidience away for the rest of the meet...choose weights that you could hit if you had the flu, you can always go up on your second and third attempts. i have seen more elite athletes bomb out of meets because of this one thing. Nobody cares what your opener is, its where you finish(third attempt) that matters

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Don't bother getting the suits at least to use this time. When you do get them spend the money on a quality pair!!! Some of these guys make great points on change in technique and your lifting plane will change as well. All things to consider and if you have issues adjusting(with the gear) your confidence will be shaken and we don't want that!!! Good luck!!!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Choose a really light opener on all of your lifts....missing your first attempt because it was too heavy will take all of your confidience away for the rest of the meet...choose weights that you could hit if you had the flu, you can always go up on your second and third attempts. i have seen more elite athletes bomb out of meets because of this one thing. Nobody cares what your opener is, its where you finish(third attempt) that matters
Yeah, that point. Getting that first lift to just more or less snap up, is great for the confidence and momentum and keeping back some, aids as some heavy warmup for your PR's or max try.
Max gym lifts are a bit different than max comp lifts.
All the best and go get 'em