Bradon Lilly's Cube Method

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been searching around the Internet and there isn't an enormous amount of information out there outside of his book and his training blog.
There's a few logs I've found that aren't detailed and last only 2 weeks or so. Here on AM I've found nothing.

I just wanted to create a thread for discussion of the Cube Method and related training subjects. If anyone has any personal experience with it, knowledge on it, or questions-post up.

I intend to begin it in a few weeks and will start a training log here on AM for it.

http://blillytraining.blogspot.com/?m=1

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really liked it. It's fairly intuitive, and it includes things that are very familiar to the conjugate system.

One of the concepts brought up in the book is to differentiate between "building" and "testing" lifts. Often times we let our ego drive us to chase new numbers in the gym, sometimes at the expense of technique (and consequently ingraining bad movement patterns), and sometimes we miss the lift. Brandon wants us to be purposeful and productive in the gym. We execute all our lifts correctly, and we always hit our lifts in the gym. What we do in the gym is just practice and training for what we'll do on the platform.

On this subject, he also wants us to relearn to appreciate other rep max records, often advocating for attempting 3RM and 5RM attempts in place of 1RM records. There's a lot of emphasis on submaximal training, on greasing the groove (for instance, when you squat you free squat like you would in competition), and working levers at all points on the lift (as opposed to restricted ROM movements).

It is definitely a good read. I am comfortable with my programming right now, though I am trying to adapt it to try to bring up my deadlift. But I can see myself testing this method in the future.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have it but have yet to read it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also did not understand his metaphor to a cube at all, so I can't comment on that lol. All I can say is that it's supposed to reflect how the weekly plan is laid and how the days are rotated from week to week.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also did not understand his metaphor to a cube at all, so I can't comment on that lol. All I can say is that it's supposed to reflect how the weekly plan is laid and how the days are rotated from week to week.
I think he meant it more as how he wrote '1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3'

Think algebra, 3 is cubed, the third power.

I think

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, it was an analogy to the 2 dimensional (or perhaps 3) layout of the cycle, where on one week bench might be an explosive day, squats a heavy day, and deads a repetition day, then on week 2 bench might be heavy, squats rep, and deads explosive, and so on. But I just don't see the cube. Maybe I need more drugs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I see the cube metaphor, but that's my old math nerd in me.

His method is another permutation of block periodization, but in a different form. This is another example of how him and Wendler are very similar in their thinking as far as rep ranges and focus are concerned. I love the theory and simplicity behind it, but can't comment on it's efficacy.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Pretty interesting stuff, to me it looks like westside methods mixed throughout a 3 week cycle instead of a 1 week cycle, with a little rep work mixed in. I think I would be a good program to try out.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm almost done with my 3rd week with the Cube. So far I like it. I feel I'm getting stronger but I know that's from my assistance exercises. I always feel fresh coming into my big 3 lifts and the rotation if ME/DE/RE keeps me from getting bored from any redundancy. Deficits and block pulls, starch grips, ect is all new to me. I've also referenced the program against Prilepins Chart (which Rodja brought up and disussed in my log) and it lines up in the lower spectrum of it with the exception of the rep days. I've been following Lilly's personal log on Juggernaut Training Sys. for any ideas to apply towards my trainig.

I have my first meet April 6th which will be right when my first cycle if the Cube is complete so that will be the ultimate test for myself and how I applied the program to my training.

Just thought I'd bump this thread seeing as this is hardly discussed on this forum, or any forum or that matter.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm almost done with my 3rd week with the Cube. So far I like it. I feel I'm getting stronger but I know that's from my assistance exercises. I always feel fresh coming into my big 3 lifts and the rotation if ME/DE/RE keeps me from getting bored from any redundancy. Deficits and block pulls, starch grips, ect is all new to me. I've also referenced the program against Prilepins Chart (which Rodja brought up and disussed in my log) and it lines up in the lower spectrum of it with the exception of the rep days. I've been following Lilly's personal log on Juggernaut Training Sys. for any ideas to apply towards my trainig.

I have my first meet April 6th which will be right when my first cycle if the Cube is complete so that will be the ultimate test for myself and how I applied the program to my training.

Just thought I'd bump this thread seeing as this is hardly discussed on this forum, or any forum or that matter.
Training templates aren't really discussed because too many people put their focus on other areas. Anabolics and nutrition are important, but it's amazing how few people spend not even half of time looking up training as they do the aforementioned.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
I'm super confused? about the numbers ... but the workout is great. lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Training templates aren't really discussed because too many people put their focus on other areas. Anabolics and nutrition are important, but it's amazing how few people spend not even half of time looking up training as they do the aforementioned.
This is why I much rather read the training forum than the anabolics forum. If someone is asking about training, there's a much better chance that they're not as idiotic. And if they don't know what they're doing, at least their head is in the right place.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you guys doing a meet type day every tenth week? If not what are plans for the establishment of new PRs?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you guys doing a meet type day every tenth week? If not what are plans for the establishment of new PRs?
Yes, mock meet every 10th week if you aren't actually competing. Reset, go another 10.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That or I may just test it on my ME days pending how I feel my recovery is. I have a crappy schedule coming up.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Gotchas. I'm starting tomorrow and was curious of this.

The other thing seems to be is assistance is pretty wide open. Which is pretty cool for not getting stale. Hard part is when to do certain things like the 50 squats with 135 assistance.

I figure there will be some trial and error first run.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotchas. I'm starting tomorrow and was curious of this.

The other thing seems to be is assistance is pretty wide open. Which is pretty cool for not getting stale. Hard part is when to do certain things like the 50 squats with 135 assistance.

I figure there will be some trial and error first run.
I don't think the 135x50 squats makes or breaks the program. I did it once. I think it's just an example that Lily uses to switch things up. There's videos of him repping 80's for DB bench for 50 reps just because..

ME Dead days I'll do SG pull or front squats, then rows and shrugs. Any other deadlift day I hit some hamstrings good and some unilateral quad work. You've seen the rest of my days.

You better log it!!!!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't think the 135x50 squats makes or breaks the program. I did it once. I think it's just an example that Lily uses to switch things up. There's videos of him repping 80's for DB bench for 50 reps just because..

ME Dead days I'll do SG pull or front squats, then rows and shrugs. Any other deadlift day I hit some hamstrings good and some unilateral quad work. You've seen the rest of my days.

You better log it!!!!
Gotcha. I'll mess with it. I can really just throw in most of my old assistance work and vary it.

I'm gonna get a log up on here tomorrow haha. I'll figure out a name for it and all. I look forward to my form being improved by the critiquing. This little community here is the ****.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My log name sucks...apparently another dude has the same name. whoops

Jericoe

Jericoe

Awards
I love the idea of it. Ive been using it and i can feel it really builds my strength in all areas. Like i am ready to lift a heavy wait at any moment, i am always prepared.

Just like how brandon lilly pulled like 800lbs in flip-flops with no warmup lol