O Lift routine?

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
I've been getting into Olympic lifting but I was wondering should I limit my other work or can I keep doing full body and just add the Olympic lofts

uvawahoowa

Awards
I've been getting into Olympic lifting but I was wondering should I limit my other work or can I keep doing full body and just add the Olympic lofts
Depends, how much volume are you doing?

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
3 total body routines and generally 9 exercises per day. Not too bad in terms of volume

uvawahoowa

Awards
3 total body routines and generally 9 exercises per day. Not too bad in terms of volume
Sets? Reps? Rest periods bt sets? Total workout time? Number of sets to failure?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since when is 9 different lifts "not bad" for volume? IMO, that's a ton of volume.

Oly lifts should be done first in the routine and the CNS toll of them isn't awful because of the lack of eccentric movement, but a word of warning: the Oly lifts are the most technical and difficult lifts that exist. They need to be done under the watchful eye of someone very experienced in them and, if you can, get the appropriate footwear.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Rodja is absolutely right. Oly lifts require coaching, and good, experienced coaching at that. I would suggest going to an Oly lifting seminar, they are very helpful! Also, don't be too proud to drop your weights lower by a lot until you get the form right. I work out in a Crossfit gym a lot, so I see a lot of these lifts, good and bad, and it can get ugly quick. I am a huge fan though, and I feel that they are great for building strength, but it hasn't helped me too much in the bulking aspect. My Oly weights aren't very high though, so that may be why

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think it depends on the exercises you are doing wrt volume. If 3 are compound, 3 are single joint or unilateral, and 3 are core/fixator, its not over doing it.

If the majority of them are compound though...........

PROness

Awards
If you're doing the Bulgarian method which sounds similar to what you described as your workout then I doubt you'll have the energy or willpower to perform any auxiliaries.

OLY lifting is totally different from bodybuilding in terms of programming and improving technique is > any auxiliaries you could ever perform.