Powerbuilding?

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
So I know there is a major difference between strongman and powerlifting in terms of their meets and competitions and the rules and regulations they follow, what I'm not clear on is what is power building?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Powerbuilding essentially refers to bodybuilders that drive their hypertrophy through some sort of strength training or through progressive overload via increasing rep range or weight. Guys that commonly use this term might train with linear periodiazation, like western periodization, or they might do something like HIT or DC Training. Again, remember that in bodybuilding the primary objective is muscle size and symmetry, whereas in powerlifting it's the numbers you put up. Therefore, the strength is just a means to an end for the powerbuilder, whereas for the powerlifter strength is the end in itself.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lame. Its what gym rats call themselves. They are to weak to compete in powerlifting but to lazy to diet for bodybuilding.
Dang, this fits me to a tee. I've been moving into dedicated pl'ing for a bit now and intend to compete eventually (hopefully before too long) but still... :(

MissKaz

MissKaz

Awards
I'm in week 4 of a Powerbuilding routine. I do a 5x5 type program for strength then have a "light" day for the 3 lifts.
Will be interesting to see how my 1RM results in week 12.
I love the strength from Powerlifting but I want to "look" like I lift.