Things that have made the biggest difference in your training?

Creatine

Awards
What are some things that have made the biggest difference in your training? Like products, training approaches, etc.

Anything I should start doing early in my PL career?

Thanks

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Prehab , learning the movements...applying Conjugated Periodization. Remember you will need a massive amount of calories for strength to go up...Macros ain't that essential to keep nitty picky count on them, more like I said...sheer calories. That is if you only want strength gains and not being cut and gaining strength (I don't see a point there :/ aesthetics have no role in PL)

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I wish I would have really known the importance of midsection and lower back strength. After a few injuries I started hitting it hard and its the best choice I have made. If you don't already, I would consider making it a priority. Hope this helps.

Creatine

Awards
Prehab , learning the movements...applying Conjugated Periodization. Remember you will need a massive amount of calories for strength to go up...Macros ain't that essential to keep nitty picky count on them, more like I said...sheer calories. That is if you only want strength gains and not being cut and gaining strength (I don't see a point there :/ aesthetics have no role in PL)
That's what I do as of right now. I just use Myfitnesspal to track my total calories and try to keep protein and carbs high.

I would be lying if I said I didn't care at all about how I looked. I don't want to be morbidly obese but I am definitely willing to lose some definition to gain lots of strength.

I wish I would have really known the importance of midsection and lower back strength. After a few injuries I started hitting it hard and its the best choice I have made. If you don't already, I would consider making it a priority. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip. I heard Lou Ferrigno talking about all the corrective surgeries he had from lifting all these years. I should definitely make preventive maintenance a priority!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A lot of things matter that you don't pay attention to from the start, but I'll give you just one of mine for starters;

Posture: this is one thing I did not pay attention to when I started AT ALL, but now I am paying for it. Thankfully I only have over 2.5 years of training under my belt, so no grave damage yet, but in that short time I've injured my knee (no surgery required) from the running and training with a posture where my toes always pointed out. I suffered with long bouts of exertion headaches for more than half a year until I addressed my forward head posture. Now I am dealing with a shoulder impingement from all the pressing I've done in my training without having ever addressed my flared scapula.

These things will creep up on you. They will begin as annoyances, but they will develop into serious injuries. For instance, while my shoulder impingement just causes tendonitis problems and hampers my lifting, it could eventually lead to a labrum tear, rotator cuff tear, shoulder fracture, arthritis, etc etc. So now the mission is to address these postural issues while still training, but making sure the priority is correcting the problems even if sometimes it's at the expense of optimal training (though to be fair and honest with myself, I do train at the expense of optimal rehab since the best thing would be to not press at all).

So I urge you to bear that in mind.

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
Find a good hardcore gym that has qualified people to work with you. Dont get with the drugged, multi gear lifters. You will shorten you span of being a lifter... learn the rules and how to do the lifts correctly... dont max in gym save for the meet you pick... keep your reps 3-5 range for you work sets... also do each rep as it was a meet lift... practice makes perfert.. you cut your squat high in gym youll cut in meet, you dont pause or bounce off chest on bench youll do in a meet, hitch and dont fully lock out deads in gym youll do in the meet also!!!

Stretch alot, especially your hips and lower back!! Dont let your ego get the best of you..gains come in time dont try to rush them!

As for supplements my team has been on NLA Performance and we love it.. They live up to the hype!!

Most important good nutrition and rest!! Dont try to workout every day... Body grow, gets stronger, and repairs with rest and proper fuel!!

The guys i coach do a 4 days a week.. Day 1 Squat/Deads Day 2 Rest Day 3 Bench Day 4 Assistance to Squats and Deads Day 5 Rest Day 6 Assistance to Bench

Good luck to you and hope to see you on the platform

Jon M

National and World Champion Powerlfiter

Team POWER & inTENsity:evil:

NLA PERFORMANCE
www.nlaperformance.com
Choice of Champions!!!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Find a good hardcore gym that has qualified people to work with you. Dont get with the drugged, multi gear lifters. You will shorten you span of being a lifter... learn the rules and how to do the lifts correctly... dont max in gym save for the meet you pick... keep your reps 3-5 range for you work sets... also do each rep as it was a meet lift... practice makes perfert.. you cut your squat high in gym youll cut in meet, you dont pause or bounce off chest on bench youll do in a meet, hitch and dont fully lock out deads in gym youll do in the meet also!!!

Stretch alot, especially your hips and lower back!! Dont let your ego get the best of you..gains come in time dont try to rush them!

As for supplements my team has been on NLA Performance and we love it.. They live up to the hype!!

Most important good nutrition and rest!! Dont try to workout every day... Body grow, gets stronger, and repairs with rest and proper fuel!!

The guys i coach do a 4 days a week.. Day 1 Squat/Deads Day 2 Rest Day 3 Bench Day 4 Assistance to Squats and Deads Day 5 Rest Day 6 Assistance to Bench

Good luck to you and hope to see you on the platform

Jon M

Team POWER & inTENsity:evil:

NLA PERFORMANCE
www.nlaperformance.com
Choice of Champions!!!
Great advice.

Sounds cliche but making every rep count is best. Form should be kept up as well especially since you kinda care about aesthetics. Don't want that beer belly from that lower back curve, or the douche bag pose (over hanging front delts). Keep it balanced and keep the core strong and tight.

My addition would be to warm up, and warm up right. Get the blood in there without taxing the muscle much. Takes time but it's worth it if you are truly looking to take it the amateur/pro levels.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
consistency and knowing when to call it quits.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
That is one reason that kinda intimidates me, because I love off season and love food! And if someone gave me an okay to eat for strength and forget about staying lean, I think i struggle with feeling comfortable being large.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
I agree with Mattrag about warm up.. I should have list that on my post.. We use the MBSC basic dynamic warm up which can be found on youtube, then foam roll before we even touch the bar!!

Jon M

Team POWER & inTENsity

NLA PERFORMANCE
www.nlaperformance.com
Choice of Champions!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gear, food, and reading. I have multiple binders full of ebooks that I'm always flipping through for ideas and/or experiences.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Creatine

Awards
Awesome responses so far

Do you guys have any specific materials you suggest reading or links to any ebooks?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Westside Book of Methods
Max Effort Method by Jim Wendler
5/3/1 by Jim Wendler
The Juggernaut Method by Chad Wesley Smith
The Vault by Dave Tate

NLAFounder

NLAFounder

Board Sponsor
Awards
What are some things that have made the biggest difference in your training? Like products, training approaches, etc.

Anything I should start doing early in my PL career?

Thanks
Your AM user name, aka creatine, makes a huge difference in gaining strength. Also what celorza said about taking down huge amounts of calories is correct. I was mentored by the world record bench press holder Scot Mendelson for awhile and a typical workout for the bench press would go as followed:
Total lift time 3 hours:
-Lift 1 5 reps
-Lift 2 5 reps
-Lift 3 5 reps
-Then we would do about 4 sets of 2 reps and then max out.

We would do this as well for deadlift and squat. Every 3 weeks we would do this routine and the other weeks we would work our way up to 3 rep maxes.

Mendelson focused a lot on getting proper rest between sets so you are primed and ready to focus on perfect form and put forth maximal effort each set.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
listening to your body...realizing that some days your body will give you a 1RM that fits into your training progression and some days it just wont. What your body does always recognize whether you set a PR or not is effort. It doesnt matter if you hit 5 lbs less than you should have on a particular lift, just that you gave it everything you had. period.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are some things that have made the biggest difference in your training?
Not being intimidated by heavy workouts, and getting in there and pushing it.
I used to do a lot of higher rep squatting and deads, but multiple x5's x3's x2's and x1's have made the greatest dif in my goal search.
Prilipins table, maybe!?!?

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Pick up a good book on Kinesiology! Learn your body mechanics. Concentrate on form and always keep in mind what counts on the platform. Find good spotters when pushing yourself they may save your career!!!!!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
not keeping track of your weight or numbers...after trying it, i've found it to be counter productive, at least to me but i recommend it to everyone to not keep a journal of weights or reps

full range of motion is important but it isn't not the only thing...constant tension training is also an effective way to train

edit: my bad, didn't realize this was in the powerlifting section...disregard

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Doing what works for you and not the next guy. I mean try what they do when tweak it to work better for you.

Like me, I can't DL every wk. I do it once every 5-6wks. No need for me to do it more often. Even with a lay off that long the DL still goes up every time. Same goes with back, I train it 1x ever other wk... It's always been a strong point.

pmdied

Awards
For me, it was going back to the basics. I'm 39 and after years of mostly cycling (mountain and road) mixed in with some medium intensity weight training I decided to ditch most cardio and go back to the fundamentals; heavy dead lifts, squats, overhead presses, bench, rows, pull ups, etc. Fixed my diet, too by eating more high quality calories. Finally got the body I wanted. Of course the work is never really done....Lol.

iddc

iddc

Awards
ANABOLICMINDS.COM -----this!

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Here's a snapshot of part of my bookshelf in my office.

Also, assessing for muscular imbalances and correcting them has, IMO, made some of the biggest improvements in my overall performance and recovery.
That's a winner. The 1st day of my internship I took a photo of the strength coach's bookshelf in his office and purchased just about every book off of it. I haven't finished reading them all yet but i'm working on it

powerseeker

Awards
Get it in your head right now to not try and force gains. Eat a crapload. always keep good form. And one thing that just recently hit me, POSTERIOR CHAIN training. Learn it and live it. Especially if youre a gifted squatter/deadlifter, because those big sauats and pulls will demand a lot from your lower back.

shealym

Awards
lessons

I am 61 and been lifting for about 10 years. Two of the hardest lessond I had to learn was concentration on form in every rep and listening to your body. Both take a lot of time and concentration. I agree with all of the other comments, because there is so much more than just moving a weight. Supplimentation is a must even at a minimum level. I swear by ageforce and their products. Would be glad to tell you more just email me or go to ageforce.com and check them out.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Training in the 2-6 rep range (with sound biomechanics and periodization)