Thoughts on bulgarian method?

hogwild1392

Awards
I've been readin articles on the Bulgarian method of liftin that I think have convinced me to try it. From what I've read you "max" (95% 1RM tops) every day on bench, and pull for singles 1-2 times a week. Thoughts?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
doesnt hurt to try

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
keep in mind that they do O lifts in the bulgarian method which have no eccentric portion of the lift. so they can hand more intensity with greater frequency.

if you want a high frequency high intensity powerlifting routine i would say with enough conditioning and active recovery being done you can push up to an upper/lower split of 4-5 times a week for each. that is and keep it up for months and years at a time like O lifters will do.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
keep in mind that they do O lifts in the bulgarian method which have no eccentric portion of the lift. so they can hand more intensity with greater frequency.

if you want a high frequency high intensity powerlifting routine i would say with enough conditioning and active recovery being done you can push up to an upper/lower split of 4-5 times a week for each. that is and keep it up for months and years at a time like O lifters will do.
They also supposedly perform the squat every day lifting at a high %RM (but high-bar style close stance, not low-bar sumo). At least the guys over at Broz took that away from the bulgarian method, and it seems to work well for them.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Don't even think about any high volume workouts unless your on a mod to heavy cycle... I did a smolov squat cycle on a light AAS cycle and still had to change thing for me to make it throught it... I added 60lbs to my squat in 5 wks.

All high volume stuff work just need to be juiced up to work.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Don't even think about any high volume workouts unless your on a mod to heavy cycle... I did a smolov squat cycle on a light AAS cycle and still had to change thing for me to make it throught it... I added 60lbs to my squat in 5 wks.

All high volume stuff work just need to be juiced up to work.
or properly conditioned. back when i focused mainly on triathlons i could do massive amounts of volume in the gym and do it quite frequently and i have never done juice.

in other words the bulgarian method is not something you jump right into. it will feel like it will break you even when you are not lifting every day. you need to push through that. as long as the lifts are being maintained you are hitting the proper intensity, volume, and frequency. after a few months of conditioning and working through the increased frequency you will start to feel better. then after a few more months the numbers should start shooting up.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
I would look into using a westside style of training. They utilize the bulgarian method, (max effort method) as well as using dynamic (speed work). Also It blends the best russian methods, ie conjugate periodization with the max effort method. It works for raw lifters and geared lifters, the only thing you need to do if you go raw is to increase the percentage of max used on dynamic training days. Ex. on squats usually requires 50% of max plus accomodating resistance(bands, and or chains). A raw lifter may choose to start at 60% and work up to 70-75% of max.
Max effort lower
max effort upper
dynamic lower
dynamic upper

mylo

mylo

Awards
tried it for about a month and boosted my caloric intake.

i gained 20 pounds on the bench, and about 10-20 on my squat, didn't deadlift the whole month though, but deadlift the entire month though...

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
when i did the smolov cycle didnt DL for 5kws and my DL went up by 25 just from al the leg work.