Dieting for powerlifting

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im curious what kind of diets you guys use. Ive been on the "see food diet" for some time within reason. I got my weight up to 225, which was my goal and im gonna start dieting to get back down to about 210 and then go back up. Curious what methods work for you guys. Looking at trying something new as im around 15-20% bf atm and if like to eventually get near 10%. Lowest ive ever been was around 12-14%.

retrofitted

Awards
Also a powerlifter here. You'll get so many different replies on the subject of diet, even from a community of athletes as supposedly lax on their caloric intake as PLers. At my training facility, it seems the lifters are split between those who diligently bring their carefully prepared tupperware meals everyday and those that literally eat Philly cheesesteaks and fries from the local greasy spoon. And this is in Southern California, no less.

For what it's worth, I fall into the clean eating tupperware group, though my body composition certainly doesn't reflect the amount of time and effort I put into my diet. Steel oats, eggs, milk, nuts and nut butters, rice, potatoes, plenty of vegetables and enough chicken breast and ground beef to send a PETA activist into cardiac arrest. Digestive enzymes and a probiotic help as well. I'm deciding between 181 and 198 for competition, and consume between 3500 and 4500 calories a day depending on whether it's an ME, DE, or GPP training day.

retrofitted

Awards
And Lou, as far as the weight cuts go, most of the lifters I train with either go full ketogenic or cycle carbohydrates to lose the weight.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i am not a fan of bulking and cutting. in my opinion it is not much better then just bulking and harming your insulin sensitivity.

im not saying just eat enough, but eat properly to gain size and not gain fat and not mess with your insulin sensitivity. try intermittent fasting or carb backloading.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kabuki, in his thread went to lean gains/IF awhile back and has had positive results

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was just looking for opinions. Ive considered IF and carb back loading. But the CBL book is like 60 bucks. Im aware many arnt fans of bulking and cutting. But I had a goal of breaking 220 and reached it. And all my gear is very tight at this weight so I want to slowly recomp and stay here as I dont wanna move up a weight class and have to drop more money in gear, esp since I still need to break these in.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I actually read that, thanks tho. Ive come to conclusion for now. And will run it for a few monthes then make a change to IF if things arnt going how I want.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
I think bulking makes sense when you are trying to reset your homeostasis weight higher. I'm going through it right now, but I am somewhat ectomorphic and spent my previous life on wrestling and MMA, so recomping and cutting is second nature to me.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
i never cut weight before meet.... i normally get 10-14lbs over my weight class and cut water the day before then replenish asap after steppin of scale... iv got a little **** tale i put together that works great. so i compete in the 220 class and would be 230-232 the 2days out cut down to 220 or less then be back up to 234 or more day of the meet. iv competed raw and equipped. set records doin this protocol.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i never cut weight before meet.... i normally get 10-14lbs over my weight class and cut water the day before then replenish asap after steppin of scale... iv got a little **** tale i put together that works great. so i compete in the 220 class and would be 230-232 the 2days out cut down to 220 or less then be back up to 234 or more day of the meet. iv competed raw and equipped. set records doin this protocol.
I did this for my last meet and got my weight back up but didnt perform the day of. So with my gear fitting at about 215-225. Im just trying to stay around there and maybe recomp for now. I havent competed enough to be good at dropping weight before a meet yet. Im learning.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
wherw are you at? what kinda numbers are you pushin.... id be happy to help where ever i can.

FYI, iv (years ago) benched 502 record, squated 675,DL 705 record all in the 220 class.the bench and DL where done at BW 213 and im over 6' tall. so iv done some things....

RicFlair

Awards
I eat fairly clean, especially on non lifting days. I try to save my dirtiest cheat meals right after max effort day. That way I'm "earning the food". I use whole milk to get extra cals at work. I drink a half gallon whole milk each day at work it acts as a good bridge between my solid meals.

Carb backloading has always intrigued me, I'm not sure if I'd have the discipline for the prep phase though. The PDF itself is worth vying just to read the underlying science behind his theories. I will note that a lot of it was over my head and required a lot of googling since I do not have a bio physics background. (Econ/MBA guy here).

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
wherw are you at? what kinda numbers are you pushin.... id be happy to help where ever i can.

FYI, iv (years ago) benched 502 record, squated 675,DL 705 record all in the 220 class.the bench and DL where done at BW 213 and im over 6' tall. so iv done some things....
Highest meet numbers are 475/275/507
Highest in gym numbers are 450+50lbs chain/295x2/450+100lbs chain

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
those are some good numbers for being 188.... like i said, anything i can do to help let me know.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
those are some good numbers for being 188.... like i said, anything i can do to help let me know.
I need to update that. Im currently 220.
my 475/275 were done at 201, and the 507 pull was done at 214.
The gym lifts were done at 215-220.

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
I feed an incredible power lifter.. He eats well-balanced meals. Protein, healthy carb, veggie. He's not a calorie counter or food measurer :]

You just have to experiment to see what works best for your body.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats what im doing, Im following a diet by layne norton right now. Thanks tho.