Weighted vest

dillianc

Awards
Hey,

Do any of you use weighted vests? What are some benefits for sprinting?

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
i thought this was the PL section?..... sense when does a PLr sprint?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i thought this was the PL section?..... sense when does a PLr sprint?
conditioning and working on increased force development via speed workouts.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Yes,
I have been using a Mir vest with 75 pounds of weight for over a year.
Great workout tool.
Peace

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
All the time (e.g. Prowler pushes, sled drags, etc.).
me and the guys i workout with have set many many records and none of us have ever done sprints, prowler pushes or sled drags..... i take that back, 1 guys does but hes not strong. i weight 40+lbs less and kill him on every lift.

not being combative just sayin.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
me and the guys i workout with have set many many records and none of us have ever done sprints, prowler pushes or sled drags..... i take that back, 1 guys does but hes not strong. i weight 40+lbs less and kill him on every lift.

not being combative just sayin.....
Louie's opinion on the topic >>>> yours

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
louie..... F that guy. hes not westside barbell...... he just stole the name from my coach joe de' marco and 2 others. if you guys look the OG westside you will see louie was not there.

you take all the Qs you want from a old man thats brokin his back twice... ill stick with the one that 83 and still benchs 275 for reps, natty.

again not lookin to start s#!t, just stating my opinion......

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
louie..... F that guy. hes not westside barbell...... he just stole the name from my coach joe de' marco and 2 others. if you guys look the OG westside you will see louie was not there.

you take all the Qs you want from a old man thats brokin his back twice... ill stick with the one that 83 and still benchs 275 for reps, natty.

again not lookin to start s#!t, just stating my opinion......
Louie doesn't claim that he started the original Westside in CA as you're implying. In case you need a lesson in history, Louie switched to conjugate training after he broke his back the second time and was willing to adapt to new methods, which is a quality that everyone should have and one that you seem to lack. Also, if incurring training injuries is enough of a reason to not take someone's advice, then there isn't a single person that that would be a viable coach in PL'ing.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i understand that but do you sprint? i dont know any PLrs that sprint.
i currently dont. several of my training partners did this year. we are not all exclusively powerlifters though. our gym also includes highland games and strongman competitors. we do all believe in a balanced body to help minimize injuries.

it is our opinion that in the short term you can focus on anything to up your 3 lifts and make great gains but at the expense of long term injury prevention and overall health. our oldest competitor is 48 and a large part of his training is injury prevention. he is going to be hitting his 30th year of lifting pretty soon. and yes, he does some sprinting even at his bodyweight of 325.

you sure dont have to sprint as a powerlifter or any type of strength competitor. and we all dont do it year round. we cycle it for parts of the year.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Louie doesn't claim that he started the original Westside in CA as you're implying. In case you need a lesson in history, Louie switched to conjugate training after he broke his back the second time and was willing to adapt to new methods, which is a quality that everyone should have and one that you seem to lack. Also, if incurring training injuries is enough of a reason to not take someone's advice, then there isn't a single person that that would be a viable coach in PL'ing.

i never said he did... i said he took the name and made it his own, never said he acts like he started it. the reason he broke his back is his poor box squating. he used to drop onto the box, thats why he broke it. now he used a soft pad on the box to slow his desenton to the box. instead of a controlled descent witch is how it should be done. and yes we all get hurt trying to do more... but getting hurt when doin movements wrong is your fault not the weight,and is stupid.

look man everyone dose there own thing... when im PLn i never do more then 5reps unless its a very light weight. witch is not enought to get my heart rate up. so no i dont do any type of cardio either. others like you do, and maybe it works for you but i dont do it so that was my question. if you read the question it was not combative or bustin balls! i said "sense when do PLrs sprint?" and "i dont know any PLrs that do" that was me askin a question. only when you brought up louie did i start talkin s#!t.... everything i said up till louie was questions.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
i currently dont. several of my training partners did this year. we are not all exclusively powerlifters though. our gym also includes highland games and strongman competitors. we do all believe in a balanced body to help minimize injuries.

it is our opinion that in the short term you can focus on anything to up your 3 lifts and make great gains but at the expense of long term injury prevention and overall health. our oldest competitor is 48 and a large part of his training is injury prevention. he is going to be hitting his 30th year of lifting pretty soon. and yes, he does some sprinting even at his bodyweight of 325.

you sure dont have to sprint as a powerlifter or any type of strength competitor. and we all dont do it year round. we cycle it for parts of the year.
this is what i was gettin at.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i never said he did... i said he took the name and made it his own, never said he acts like he started it. the reason he broke his back is his poor box squating. he used to drop onto the box, thats why he broke it. now he used a soft pad on the box to slow his desenton to the box. instead of a controlled descent witch is how it should be done. and yes we all get hurt trying to do more... but getting hurt when doin movements wrong is your fault not the weight,and is stupid.

look man everyone dose there own thing... when im PLn i never do more then 5reps unless its a very light weight. witch is not enought to get my heart rate up. so no i dont do any type of cardio either. others like you do, and maybe it works for you but i dont do it so that was my question. if you read the question it was not combative or bustin balls! i said "sense when do PLrs sprint?" and "i dont know any PLrs that do" that was me askin a question. only when you brought up louie did i start talkin s#!t.... everything i said up till louie was questions.
Your post tone was edging closer towards hostile that inquisitive as you came off as though it is stupid for a PL'er to sprint, which is far from true. You can have your personal opinion of Louie, but the fact remains that he is a far greater source of knowledge than you or I and his philosophy has proven correct time and time again. A sled drag and Prowler push are the same as sprints, but with different equipment to shift emphasis on the load within the muscles. The purpose for them is to increase work capacity as most PL'ers are in terrible CV shape since they neglect any form of cardio and implementing some for non-eccentric, anaerobic activity helps to not only improve the aforementioned work capacity, but also improves recovery and improves enzymatic response to training that help to repartition nutrients towards muscle and increase contractile proteins.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
^^^ your points are valid, but like i said before.... i only know 1 guy tthat does prowler pushs and he is NOT a strong guy. my total is close to 250lbs more then him and hes 40+lbs more then me. so sleds and pushes will not be part of my workouts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^ your points are valid, but like i said before.... i only know 1 guy tthat does prowler pushs and he is NOT a strong guy. my total is close to 250lbs more then him and hes 40+lbs more then me. so sleds and pushes will not be part of my workouts.
That's wonderful logic right there.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i will use your logic, jim wendler, dave tate, and many others from elite do prowler pushes. and i bet they total more then you.

so who is right here, the one with the highest total or the one with the greatest knowledge?

my vote goes for knowledge.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
That's wonderful logic right there.
EDIT....... you 2 guys just want to have a pissing contest. im done with you 2, read me posts and understand what i said. there is no inflection in words, you read it how you want to see it.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
i will use your logic, jim wendler, dave tate, and many others from elite do prowler pushes. and i bet they total more then you.

so who is right here, the one with the highest total or the one with the greatest knowledge?

my vote goes for knowledge.
EDIT.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EDIT....... you 2 guys just want to have a pissing contest. im done with you 2, read me posts and understand what i said. there is no inflection in words, you read it how you want to see it.
There's no pissing contest here. You just have a overly myopic view of training and an unwillingness to change your methods, which are two of the worst traits any athlete can have. At no point have you posted anything to point to the contrary regarding my (and many others) viewpoint on the importance of conditioning and a high work capacity.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
theres no need for me to try to make you or others change your traing style... LIKE I SAID BEFORE, everyone trains a little different then the man next to him. you dont do the exact same workout as your training partner... movement for movement rep for rep do you? no you take the workout and make it work best for you.

so there is no need for me to try to sway your train of thought. all i can do is put out my point of view and you take from it what you will..... your trying to push your training on me and because im not willing to try or do it your way your tellin me i have a myopic view of training.... which i think is BS but you do it your way and ill do it mine.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
theres no need for me to try to make you or others change your traing style... LIKE I SAID BEFORE, everyone trains a little different then the man next to him. you dont do the exact same workout as your training partner... movement for movement rep for rep do you? no you take the workout and make it work best for you.

so there is no need for me to try to sway your train of thought. all i can do is put out my point of view and you take from it what you will..... your trying to push your training on me and because im not willing to try or do it your way your tellin me i have a myopic view of training.... which i think is BS but you do it your way and ill do it mine.
I say that you have a myopic view of training because of a lack of reasoning behind your view. I've explained my rationale behind implementing GPP style conditioning and its importance, but you have not done the same as to why you think it is not important.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
WTF is wrong with you? why do i need to explain ANYTHING to you? iv told you in every post,i do it my way you do it yours. there is no need for me to push my view on you or for you to try and do it to me. all iv done is tell how i see it and you have do nothing but tell me im wrong for not seeing it your way.

im done with you.... back to OP question. sense you seem to know everything you can take it away.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
WTF is wrong with you? why do i need to explain ANYTHING to you? iv told you in every post,i do it my way you do it yours. there is no need for me to push my view on you or for you to try and do it to me. all iv done is tell how i see it and you have do nothing but tell me im wrong for not seeing it your way.

im done with you.... back to OP question. sense you seem to know everything you can take it away.
For someone that claims to know so much, you sure do seem to lack a willingness to share as to why you do what you do. I could care less if you agree with my methods, but I have given you reasons behind them, which is just as important to the conversation. Reasoning behind a certain person's methods helps to lend credibility to a certain philosophy and using BS like, "I'm stronger than you," makes you look like foolish. You make a claim and the burden is on you as to show some​ reason as to why you believe it to be that way.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
For someone that claims to know so much. Reasoning behind a certain person's methods helps to lend credibility to a certain philosophy and using BS like, "I'm stronger than you," makes you look like foolish.
... lol, you dont give up do you....

1st, i never claimed to know anything! if i did, post it up for me.
2nd, where did i say "im stronger then you"? or anything likt that.... post the reply so we can read it again.
3rd, only person lookin foolish is you. iv told you i do what i do cuz it works for me. you do what you do cuz it works for you.....
4th, theres no burden on me to do ****... read every post iv posted and iv given you reasons in every one! just cuz there not what you want to read or your thoughts, your tellin me im wrong for not giving them.

why cant you give this guys thread back? you keep trying to bust my balls instead of helpin him out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
... lol, you dont give up do you....

1st, i never claimed to know anything! if i did, post it up for me.
2nd, where did i say "im stronger then you"? or anything likt that.... post the reply so we can read it again.
3rd, only person lookin foolish is you. iv told you i do what i do cuz it works for me. you do what you do cuz it works for you.....
4th, theres no burden on me to do ****... read every post iv posted and iv given you reasons in every one! just cuz there not what you want to read or your thoughts, your tellin me im wrong for not giving them.

why cant you give this guys thread back? you keep trying to bust my balls instead of helpin him out.
1. Posting a response implies that you have something constructive to add to the conversation, which gives the impression that you know something.
2. One of the BS reasons you used to justify your position is that the only person you know that does GPP is that they're weaker than you despite being heavier.
3. This is not reasoning. It's going in a circle.
4. You make a claim and the burden of proof is one you. It's called the burden of proof and saying "it works for me" is not proof as that is merely arguing in a circle, which is a logical fallacy.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
im gonna be the bigger man and not go back and forth with you any longer.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
1. Posting a response implies that you have something constructive to add to the conversation, which gives the impression that you know something.
2. One of the BS reasons you used to justify your position is that the only person you know that does GPP is that they're weaker than you despite being heavier.
3. This is not reasoning. It's going in a circle.
4. You make a claim and the burden of proof is one you. It's called and saying "it works for me" is not proof as that is merely arguing in a circle, which is a logical fallacy.
What Rodja is saying is absolutely true.