deadlift questions

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Iam not a powerlifter but figured that this part of the site will have the most knowledgeable people on deadlift.

My problem is that lowering part of the deadlift does not feel natural too me..... On the lowering part of the deadlift I wait for my bar to go to knees and than drop my knees/hips the droping of the knees/hips with weight infront of me feel not natural.......

Any tips advices? I looked over several deadlift tutorials and when I look in the mirror my form looks good just feel not natural maybe I just have to get used it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you try to lower it with control or just, more or less, drop it? After each rep, I do a controlled drop of the bar.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I do not just let go. But I have always been taught that the drop you should just drop. My friend I trained with had his STAR cert. He told me the negative of a dead lift wasn't useful and had a high risk for injury.** Take this with a grain of salt as it's an opinionated post from my phone based off what "a friend told me"** I work out at a gym with platforms for DL so I can drop it with out getting yelled at. My old gyms that was not an option and there had to be some control.

Again I am not throwing the weights or just letting go. I simply am not using energy on the negative I let my legs/ hips drop.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do not just let go. But I have always been taught that the drop you should just drop. My friend I trained with had his STAR cert. He told me the negative of a dead lift wasn't useful and had a high risk for injury.** Take this with a grain of salt as it's an opinionated post from my phone based off what "a friend told me"** I work out at a gym with platforms for DL so I can drop it with out getting yelled at. My old gyms that was not an option and there had to be some control.

Again I am not throwing the weights or just letting go. I simply am not using energy on the negative I let my legs/ hips drop.
The eccentric portion has a very high risk of injury.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Iam not a powerlifter but figured that this part of the site will have the most knowledgeable people on deadlift.

My problem is that lowering part of the deadlift does not feel natural too me..... On the lowering part of the deadlift I wait for my bar to go to knees and than drop my knees/hips the droping of the knees/hips with weight infront of me feel not natural.......

Any tips advices? I looked over several deadlift tutorials and when I look in the mirror my form looks good just feel not natural maybe I just have to get used it?
I essentially lower it like an RDL until my back is parallel to the ground and then bend my knees the rest of the way. Works for me.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
The eccentric portion has a very high risk of injury.
That was his point. He played college football as well and his strength coaches told them never to focus on the eccentric part. He said they Literally would drop it. You can't do that at 99% of gyms though. I focus on using my energy on the pull.

compudog

compudog

Awards

I always set the weight down nicely. If it works for this guy I can't see a problem with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jO21-a2W0