chalk? or straps.... - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

chalk? or straps....

Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Look into Liquid Grip. Stuff is awesome and great if chalk is not allowed. I tried it doing deads the other day and i swore my skin would have ripped off my hand before i let go of the bar.
    Remember why you started.

Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    and i swore my skin would have ripped off my hand before i let go of the bar.
    AHAHAAAA...
    Speaking of tearing callouses, I got to remember to sand mine down a bit. I just had one break and you could almost hear it crack open.
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Screw straps. Where's the grip strength in that? Always use chalk. Only time I use straps is when I'm doing 500+ pound shrugs
    Purus Labs Anabolic Titan/Rep
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    •   

Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne42 View Post
    Screw straps. Where's the grip strength in that?
    But what if he's not training grip, but grip becomes the limiting factor in working his posterior chain? There is always time to train grip strength on the side. I used to feel the same way you did, but found it was more from an ego base instead of using any tools made available to get all over stronger.
    Just my 2 cents ;-)
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

chalk? or straps....

Conversely, if you NEVER use straps, your grip may NEVER be the problem. I don't use em, and I've not ever had an issue with grip strength giving out before the muscle I'm working does.

Stay ahead of the game with grip strength, straps will never be necessary. But, to each their own. More than 1 way to skin a cat.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    Conversely, if you NEVER use straps, your grip may NEVER be the problem. I don't use em, and I've not ever had an issue with grip strength giving out before the muscle I'm working does.

Stay ahead of the game with grip strength, straps will never be necessary. But, to each their own. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

And honestly 5 years ago, I would have agreed totally with your statement. Here' s a few things...
    You look from your stats that you are a big guy, so big hands. I have been said to have mitts, but the blessing were not all even across the board for me haha. Other guys with smaller hands (Kirk Karwoski was one) may need the straps for getting the work in, then worry about grip issues after they get there.
    Pulling with a mixed grip for reps higher than 6's-8's-10's tends to torque the torso in one given direction to either the left or right.
    Just my 2 pesos my friend.
    All the best in the quest
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

chalk? or straps....

I agree on mixed grip; I save that for lower rep work (main lift in 5/3/1), but use double overhand for assistance work. I also swap the over/under hand as well, but not sure that's germane to this discussion.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    but use double overhand for assistance work. I also swap the over/under hand as well, but not sure that's germane to this discussion.
    You mean hooking or are you just holding double overhand no thumb clasp??? Cause if you are, that is pretty beastly my friend. Are you a COC #3 closer too? Hahaha
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You don't have to train for grip... It comes naturally when you don't assist them. I do double overhand when I'm Deadlifting to 500+. I switch grip up to 600
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

If your competing your gonna learn to use no straps. Like I said I can pull 700+ without thinking bout straps and never have trained grip
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You don't have to train for grip... It comes naturally when you don't assist them. I do double overhand when I'm Deadlifting to 500+. I switch grip up to 600
    Maybe not for you, but to say that grip doesn't need to be trained is wrong. If grip wasn't such a limiting factor, then there wouldn't be the myriad of training implements to enhance grip.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

Maybe not for you, but to say that grip doesn't need to be trained is wrong. If grip wasn't such a limiting factor, then there wouldn't be the myriad of training implements to enhance grip.
    I'm not saying it couldn't work for the better. I should have put imo of what I do. I'm sure if I trained it it could only be better but I still disagree with straps and that's what this is about.
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm not saying it couldn't work for the better. I should have put imo of what I do. I'm sure if I trained it it could only be better but I still disagree with straps and that's what this is about.
    Straps are like any other tool out there. They have a place in the bag and those that say that they have no place are just plain arrogant.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

Straps are like any other tool out there. They have a place in the bag and those that say that they have no place are just plain arrogant.
    True. I did state I used them for heavy shrugs 5+ plates. Couldn't imagine doing them without em
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

If your competing your gonna learn to use no straps. Like I said I can pull 700+ without thinking bout straps and never have trained grip
    If I am pulling singles dubs or trips high 5's to 6's I use a mixed grip and switch it up rt over then rt under. I have even used mixed grip doing pin pulls with just over #800. But all I am saying is why not have the straps in the tool box, especially if the grip gets wasted and you still need to do say RDL's ;-)
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

If you use straps your grip will never improve. Strength training includes grip strength.
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

If I am pulling singles dubs or trips high 5's to 6's I use a mixed grip and switch it up rt over then rt under. I have even used mixed grip doing pin pulls with just over #800. But all I am saying is why not have the straps in the tool box, especially if the grip gets wasted and you still need to do say RDL's ;-)
    I can dig it
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

And BTW AB, dang nice pulling there....!!!!
    What is your squat if I may ask?
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

And BTW AB, dang nice pulling there....!!!!
    What is your squat if I may ask?
    Thank you brother! My squats my weakest but hit a proper 650. Anything higher I get sloppy. I don't even think I can hit that now. Inbetween 6-650 is where I'm comfortable
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Thank you brother! My squats my weakest but hit a proper 650. Anything higher I get sloppy. I don't even think I can hit that now. Inbetween 6-650 is where I'm comfortable
    Real nice.
    You got my plow cleaned by #150-#175 at least...!
    Skrong shtuff ;-)
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Real nice.
    You got my plow cleaned by #150-#175 at least...!
    Skrong shtuff ;-)
    Thank you brother! Just hopin to get better!
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Thank you brother! Just hopin to get better!
    Really? I figured I'd just settle where I am for mediocrity...

I bombed on an 18'' dead at 545 in training saturday, couldn't lock the last 2-3 inches, and a strongman at my gym advised me to get some heavy shrugging back in my diet. I agreed since I've cut em out for quite a while, but when he said to use straps so I can double over grip it there was a long pause... I was like, are you sure that's a good idea?

But perfect example of where one may use it; I simply can't hold the weight I need to shrug solid enough and long enough to really cash my traps out with good weight.

I still don't wanna use em tho...
    Orbit Nutrition Rep
    Coupon code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbitnutrition.com
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post

Really? I figured I'd just settle where I am for mediocrity...

I bombed on an 18'' dead at 545 in training saturday, couldn't lock the last 2-3 inches, and a strongman at my gym advised me to get some heavy shrugging back in my diet. I agreed since I've cut em out for quite a while, but when he said to use straps so I can double over grip it there was a long pause... I was like, are you sure that's a good idea?

But perfect example of where one may use it; I simply can't hold the weight I need to shrug solid enough and long enough to really cash my traps out with good weight.

I still don't wanna use em tho...
    Agreed
    Coach AB @ BossBody.net
    Puruslabs.net
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

ya i wish i had giant polar bear sized meat paws like a training buddy of mine. he can double overhand an axle deadlift with nearly 4 plates. its sick.

for now i am stuck using straps for things like kroc rows, some clean/snatch work, and all my snatch grip deads. then doing some grip work. i know for a fact my grip has gotten better too. just recently i carried a PR for distance on the farmers and it was my back that gave out not my grip.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i know for a fact my grip has gotten better too. just recently i carried a PR for distance on the farmers and it was my back that gave out not my grip.
    Good for you buddy. I'll tell ya another thing that has happened to me over the years of using straps with real heavy reps. As I was able to handle heavy higher rep deads say, even though I used straps, my grip strength increased because of the shear weight hanging onto to my body. The heavy deads etc. are systemic strength lifts that increase tightness and power thru out the body. Why wouldn't the grip also benefit somewhat!?

On another note, there is also a difference (at least with me) between holding/clamping power and squeezing power. When I use the coc grippers, they do not always transfer over to better holding on real heavy stuff. Just sayin'

Similar Forum Threads

1. To Rub or not to Rub
    By Big Joe in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
  2. straps or no straps after tearing hands
    By chuebner in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 08:59 AM
  3. now or later?
    By sage in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9