chalk? or straps....

strongman6969

Awards
Im a 226lb powerbuilder n i'v always been a raw lifter so i only use chalk my grip strength is around 18st from this.. but the other day my friend said i should use straps?? He said i'll lift more? I don't know if this is because he cant lift heavy without straps or he is generally serious.. im training for the scottish strongman would straps help improve my lifts?

reeserobs

Awards
it may help you lift more weight, but it won't help your grip strength. you choose

strongman6969

Awards
Ahh i kinda thought that tbh.. i like having a good grip strength so i think ill stick with my chalk lifts :) cheers man.

Bigez

Awards
I was told once that the strap and etc. can become a crutch just as wrist wraps,belt etc.I am a raw power lifter and I only use what I can in competition and not in training.I only use wrist wraps the day of competition.If you can use them in your competition it will help you but don't train with them unless you go really heavy once in a while to see what it's like with them. I am old school raw lifter and that's just my opinion.

strongman6969

Awards
I find that aswell im more leaned to the powerbuilding keeping a good physique but have raw strength aswell im lookin into doing strongman next year qualifing deadlift is 260kg lol i have alot of work to do that for reps my max is 245 at the moment but because i have to train in a spandex gym i dont get the same help n such from experienced lifters... I have used wrist wraps for heavy benching but i like to build the grip strength up always been a raw lifter though.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
If your grip isn't giving out while using your max weights then straps will not do anything for you.

If your grip is what is giving out at max weight, then the straps will eliminate that weakest link and could help you lift more.

Beefy Jew

Awards
Straps take the weight out of your grip, you will be able to pull more weight but you are not actully doing the lift. Use chalk if you want to improve your grip as it will remove moisture from your hands allowing you to get a better hold on the bar.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say mostly chalk, but work straps in a few times here and there on super heavy max days. Work both angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chalk it up!

If you do any lat stretching after your workouts, use straps, though. This will help you focus on stretching your lats as opposed to doing grip work (which may cause you to flex your lat, which is counterproductive).

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im a 226lb powerbuilder n i'v always been a raw lifter so i only use chalk my grip strength is around 18st from this.. but the other day my friend said i should use straps?? He said i'll lift more? I don't know if this is because he cant lift heavy without straps or he is generally serious.. im training for the scottish strongman would straps help improve my lifts?
I typically keep straps usage to a minimum, however they are a great tool to build strength via the overload principle. If you do use straps however, be sure to implement direct grip training.

Also, keep in mind that some "strongman" competitions allow for the use of straps. Check your rules!

Also x2... Chalk. Use a lot. Often.

I am of Scottish heritage, so this post gets me fired up!!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
chalk chalk.. even maxing, if i cant do it all by myself.. than its not a max

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only thing I use straps for is DB/BB rows.

I don't use them when deadlifting but I will use them when I want to just focus on the target muscle and not not want to have to put any mental energy into what my hands are doing, so generally, I use them for shrugs, BB rows and RDL's and some times pull ups. Anything where I want to simply think of my hands as hooks.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Chalk > straps

RicFlair

Awards
It depends. I use wraps for heavy db rows, Kroc rows I obviously go without. I will deadlift with straps occasionally but generally chalk up.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you can also learn to hook grip. then you can handle more weight without straps.

RicFlair

Awards
A good argument I've heard for using straps is from Layne Norton. He does it during training so he can use an overhand grip to avoid bicep tears. He uses a hook grip at meets, but the hook grip can be very painful.

I like training without straps because I find that by gripping as hard as possible the rest of my body stays tight.

power205

power205

NLA Performance Athlete
Awards
Chalk up on semi max weights..

Strap up for over load to get stronger..

Do grip work separate...

Just what we do!!

Jon M
National and World Champion Powerlifter
Team Power & inTENsity

NLA Performance: The Choice of Champions
facebook.com/nlaperformance.com

MichaelMurphy

Awards
I have to agree with the majority. Chalk over straps. The only time that I even considering using straps is when I am attempting a new PR. Even then I usually do not because you have to ask yourself if you could have pulled it without their help. Better to know then to question.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chalk on all deadlifts (I consider straps to be cheating yourself) or any primary working sets of compound movements. Straps on any other movement and when I'm not concerned about grip strength like dumbell lunges or dumbell step ups

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Chalk all the way. Gotta push your grip to strengthen it (looking at deadlift here; straps are ok for the accessory/hypertrophy work but I stay away from them anyway).

Plus if you tear a callus on a lift all the powder and blood makes your hand look like a big jelly doughnut. And you can't put a price on that.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
if you use straps you should also go get some of those awesome "lifting gloves"...these are both ridiculous paraphanalia for newbies

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you use straps you should also go get some of those awesome "lifting gloves"...these are both ridiculous paraphanalia for newbies
Interesting opinion.

Terry Crews uses straps when he is working back so that his grip isn't a limiting factor.

Which is strange considering he doesn't look like a newbie and his status as a former NFL athlete would certainly lead one to believe he isn't.

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Powe205 makes a good point!! When you strain to get those last few reps chalking you squeeze like hell wasting some energy that could help move that weight!!! P205 method sounds like a good approach!

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
haha, Ive also seen Dorian Yates where lifting gloves, that doesnt mean they where necessary or any less lame. Proponents of straps will say that they can get more reps because there grip doesnt fail, bla bla...last time I checked this was a Powerlifting and Strongman section. As a competive powerlifter I would get laughed out of my gym for wearing straps....this strap issue would be better served in the natural bodybuilding section I think.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha, Ive also seen Dorian Yates where lifting gloves, that doesnt mean they where necessary or any less lame. Proponents of straps will say that they can get more reps because there grip doesnt fail, bla bla...last time I checked this was a Powerlifting and Strongman section. As a competive powerlifter I would get laughed out of my gym for wearing straps....this strap issue would be better served in the natural bodybuilding section I think.
I agree in that straps are next to worthless as far as powerlifting is concerned. My point is that to make a statement that only newbs need straps is a flat out lie, actually as one would become more advanced he would be more likely to need straps, as his larger muscle groups would be less likely to fail before his grip.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
haha, ok ok, Ill leave you alone- your right, straps are awesome for advanced athletes.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think if your intention is to truly isolate the target muscles til failure then yes, straps have their place. But my grip strength and pride are too important to me; I don't want to lift something I'm not strong enough to hold using chalk. Would rather force myself to improve my grip.

They have there place. Strongman much more so than powerlifting, but even strongmen allowed straps in contest need absurd grip that straps may not be the best for building.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha, ok ok, Ill leave you alone- your right, straps are awesome for advanced athletes.
I never said that.

Not one time actually.

I don't think ATHLETES should use them at all, just like I don't think powerlifters should (which I said BTW). And I was speaking solely about physique trainees, although I realize (after you said it actually) that this is in PLing/Strongman subforum but was speaking specifically about physique (in relation to your comment that this would be better served in the BBing section).

Thought that was apparent when I brought up a guy who trains for his physique (Terry Crews).

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
I have seen guys like Kirk Karwalski use straps more than a decade ago and that guy could Squat 1,004!!! I would say that was Advanced as far as being an athlete!! Hahaha he would use them on back days

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's funny because every powerlifter I've ever trained with owns a pair of straps to use for overload and/or if they have injury issues. Also, Kroc, Wendler, Chuck, Lilly, etc. have all used straps at various times in their training. You might want to park the attitude and open your mind a little bit.

Chris Duffin aka Kabuki wears straps and hold multiple records. Why don't you go post in his thread on here that he is a newbie because he uses straps?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's funny because every powerlifter I've ever trained with owns a pair of straps to use for overload and/or if they have injury issues. Also, Kroc, Wendler, Chuck, Lilly, etc. have all used straps at various times in their training. You might want to park the attitude and open your mind a little bit.

Chris Duffin aka Kabuki wears straps and hold multiple records. Why don't you go post in his thread on here that he is a newbie because he uses straps?
I did not know that, very interesting.

I knew they had their place, but didn't think many PLers would find use for them.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i use straps like others have said for kroc rows, high rep BB rows, high rep deadlifts. i also do farmers and lots of KB work along with all my max work with deads are without straps. my grip has gotten stronger from that combination. my grip is now not the weak link in farmers anymore. i will dump a load when the pain gets to be too much but i rarely dump due to grip loss.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents again...

1) If the grip becomes a limiting factor, and I need to really train hard, I will use straps, as I want to get everything from the legs, hips, back and not let the grip get in the way.
2) If it is pulling as in deads, and I am going over 3-5 reps. I use straps so I pull without torquing my torso using a mixed grip for higfher reps. I always use straps for stuff like RDL's, x8's x10's+ and shrugs, maybe even bent rows.
3) I also have noticed, that if my dead goes up #25, my grip, even though I was using straps, will follow suit most times and be fine for low reps and max weights.
4) Why not use both? I mean why limit your choices?
5) Gripping muscles seem to recover pretty quickly (2 days) so I always have room for grip work ie: static holds or some squeezing and one arm pickups.
6) I use chalk quite a bit too.
7) If strapping, wear them more down on the back of the hand then wrap, don't wear them on the wrists.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Look into Liquid Grip. Stuff is awesome and great if chalk is not allowed. I tried it doing deads the other day and i swore my skin would have ripped off my hand before i let go of the bar.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
and i swore my skin would have ripped off my hand before i let go of the bar.
AHAHAAAA...
Speaking of tearing callouses, I got to remember to sand mine down a bit. I just had one break and you could almost hear it crack open.

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Screw straps. Where's the grip strength in that? Always use chalk. Only time I use straps is when I'm doing 500+ pound shrugs

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Screw straps. Where's the grip strength in that?
But what if he's not training grip, but grip becomes the limiting factor in working his posterior chain? There is always time to train grip strength on the side. I used to feel the same way you did, but found it was more from an ego base instead of using any tools made available to get all over stronger.
Just my 2 cents ;-)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Conversely, if you NEVER use straps, your grip may NEVER be the problem. I don't use em, and I've not ever had an issue with grip strength giving out before the muscle I'm working does.

Stay ahead of the game with grip strength, straps will never be necessary. But, to each their own. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Conversely, if you NEVER use straps, your grip may NEVER be the problem. I don't use em, and I've not ever had an issue with grip strength giving out before the muscle I'm working does.

Stay ahead of the game with grip strength, straps will never be necessary. But, to each their own. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

And honestly 5 years ago, I would have agreed totally with your statement. Here' s a few things...
You look from your stats that you are a big guy, so big hands. I have been said to have mitts, but the blessing were not all even across the board for me haha. Other guys with smaller hands (Kirk Karwoski was one) may need the straps for getting the work in, then worry about grip issues after they get there.
Pulling with a mixed grip for reps higher than 6's-8's-10's tends to torque the torso in one given direction to either the left or right.
Just my 2 pesos my friend.
All the best in the quest

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree on mixed grip; I save that for lower rep work (main lift in 5/3/1), but use double overhand for assistance work. I also swap the over/under hand as well, but not sure that's germane to this discussion.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but use double overhand for assistance work. I also swap the over/under hand as well, but not sure that's germane to this discussion.
You mean hooking or are you just holding double overhand no thumb clasp??? Cause if you are, that is pretty beastly my friend. Are you a COC #3 closer too? Hahaha

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
You don't have to train for grip... It comes naturally when you don't assist them. I do double overhand when I'm Deadlifting to 500+. I switch grip up to 600

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
If your competing your gonna learn to use no straps. Like I said I can pull 700+ without thinking bout straps and never have trained grip