deadlift question

  1. Registered User
    bigintensions's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    19
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0

    deadlift question


    Does using chalk while deadlifting weaken your grip strength. And also is it still considered a raw deadlift when you use chalk? I would think so but I'm just making sure.

  2. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Answers
    0


    :notsureifsrs:
  3. Registered User
    mhsattack16's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    113
    Answers
    0


    The only thing chalk does is make your hands dryer. At least with my experience. You still have to grip the bar yourself but it's easier than gripping it with sweaty hands.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    drivehard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    427
    Answers
    0


    yes, its still RAW!
    chalk helps my grip more than I ever imagined...great stuff!
  5. Registered User
    bigintensions's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    19
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by drivehard
    yes, its still RAW!
    chalk helps my grip more than I ever imagined...great stuff!
    I know man. I just started using it and my reps have doubled. I definitely was not expecting that.
  6. Banned
    sidoious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    808
    Answers
    0


    Nike makes some good rubber palm grips I use to lift more weight and stabilize the bar in doing so. Also good for pullups. My fiancée doesn't like calloused hands!
  7. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by sidoious View Post
    Nike makes some good rubber palm grips I use to lift more weight and stabilize the bar in doing so. Also good for pullups. My fiancée doesn't like calloused hands!
    Is she fond of your vagina?
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  8. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    Is she fond of your vagina?
    Repped
  9. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bigintensions View Post
    Does using chalk while deadlifting weaken your grip strength. And also is it still considered a raw deadlift when you use chalk? I would think so but I'm just making sure.
    Yes using chalk is permissible and even recommended in competition lifting
  10. Registered User
    wrench3521's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5
    Answers
    0


    Chalk is king for grip stuff. Gloves and other "handpons" are for girls, doctors and massuses.
  11. Registered User
    badfish21981's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    107
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52

    Is she fond of your vagina?
    Hahaha
  12. Registered User
    demolition's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  219 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    783
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52

    Is she fond of your vagina?
    For the win!
    Quote Originally Posted by Level9Germ View Post
    Common bro why would u take d Bol just take plain steroids if ur gonna do it since first place
    Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_SEALs View Post
    I dont want titties.... will that product work for a SERM?
  13. Registered User
    SportyBoy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0


    Don't need chalk if you use mixed grip. I use chalk for overhand until the weight starts getting too heavy for my fingers then I switch to mixed grip. I can't even imagine the weight slipping with mixed grip. For some reason it just locks the bar into my hands even without chalk.
    suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret
  14. Registered User
    schroedes's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    555
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52

    Is she fond of your vagina?
    Lol!
    T2
  15. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    Ordering chalk since our gym likes to use bars without gnarling now (WTF!?).
  16. Registered User
    bigintensions's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    19
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    Ordering chalk since our gym likes to use bars without gnarling now (WTF!?).
    Wow, that sucks. I have never seen that. How stupid.
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,133
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Ordering chalk since our gym likes to use bars without gnarling now (WTF!?).
    I've never seen a bar without knurling on it, but that blows.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I've never seen a bar without knurling on it, but that blows.
    The bars clearly used to have knurling, but it's like they sanded them down out of the box. They dont have chipped paint or rusting so they're relatively new. The new gym owner also at one point greased up all the bars. Things are not looking up at all, lol.
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,133
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    The bars clearly used to have knurling, but it's like they sanded them down out of the box. They dont have chipped paint or rusting so they're relatively new. The new gym owner also at one point greased up all the bars. Things are not looking up at all, lol.
    Is he retarded!?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Registered User
    Board Sponsor
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Answers
    0


    I love using chalk. It really helps my grip. I lift heavier when I use it. It doesn't weaken my grip it actually makes mine stronger
  21. Registered User
    thiggins2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    15
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SportyBoy
    Don't need chalk if you use mixed grip. I use chalk for overhand until the weight starts getting too heavy for my fingers then I switch to mixed grip. I can't even imagine the weight slipping with mixed grip. For some reason it just locks the bar into my hands even without chalk.
    How much do you deadlift?
  22. Registered User
    bigintensions's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    19
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1
    I love using chalk. It really helps my grip. I lift heavier when I use it. It doesn't weaken my grip it actually makes mine stronger
    Yea I know using chalk lets me lift heavier. I was just wondering if chalk would weaken my grip in general, because it had the assistance of chalk.
  23. Registered User
    Beefy Jew's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  214 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    47
    Answers
    0


    Using chalk helps grip, but I only use it once my grip fails near the end of my sets with higher weights.
  24. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bigintensions View Post
    Yea I know using chalk lets me lift heavier. I was just wondering if chalk would weaken my grip in general, because it had the assistance of chalk.
    No, chalk doesnt do the work for you. It only removes the moisture from ur hands to allow ur well-designed skin to do their job - which is grip things. You still havr to squeeze and hold, it just increases the friction greatly by reducing the oils and sweat to nothing.
  25. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    No, chalk doesnt do the work for you. It only removes the moisture from ur hands to allow ur well-designed skin to do their job - which is grip things. You still havr to squeeze and hold, it just increases the friction greatly by reducing the oils and sweat to nothing.
    Bingo. Also helps with bars that have had their knurling stripped due to age or extreme asshattery.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Deadlift question for 5/3/1 program
    By youngandfree in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
  2. deadlift question?
    By PHWSSJ in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
  3. Deadlift question...
    By iwannagetbig in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 04:55 PM
  4. Deadlift Question
    By tatortodd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 09:14 PM
  5. Deadlift Question
    By tatortodd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 12:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in