deadlift question

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Does using chalk while deadlifting weaken your grip strength. And also is it still considered a raw deadlift when you use chalk? I would think so but I'm just making sure.

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
The only thing chalk does is make your hands dryer. At least with my experience. You still have to grip the bar yourself but it's easier than gripping it with sweaty hands.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
yes, its still RAW!
chalk helps my grip more than I ever imagined...great stuff!

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
yes, its still RAW!
chalk helps my grip more than I ever imagined...great stuff!
I know man. I just started using it and my reps have doubled. I definitely was not expecting that.

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nike makes some good rubber palm grips I use to lift more weight and stabilize the bar in doing so. Also good for pullups. My fiancée doesn't like calloused hands!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does using chalk while deadlifting weaken your grip strength. And also is it still considered a raw deadlift when you use chalk? I would think so but I'm just making sure.
Yes using chalk is permissible and even recommended in competition lifting

wrench3521

Awards
Chalk is king for grip stuff. Gloves and other "handpons" are for girls, doctors and massuses.

SportyBoy

SportyBoy

Awards
Don't need chalk if you use mixed grip. I use chalk for overhand until the weight starts getting too heavy for my fingers then I switch to mixed grip. I can't even imagine the weight slipping with mixed grip. For some reason it just locks the bar into my hands even without chalk.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ordering chalk since our gym likes to use bars without gnarling now (WTF!?).

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've never seen a bar without knurling on it, but that blows.
The bars clearly used to have knurling, but it's like they sanded them down out of the box. They dont have chipped paint or rusting so they're relatively new. The new gym owner also at one point greased up all the bars. Things are not looking up at all, lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The bars clearly used to have knurling, but it's like they sanded them down out of the box. They dont have chipped paint or rusting so they're relatively new. The new gym owner also at one point greased up all the bars. Things are not looking up at all, lol.
Is he retarded!?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I love using chalk. It really helps my grip. I lift heavier when I use it. It doesn't weaken my grip it actually makes mine stronger

thiggins2

Awards
Don't need chalk if you use mixed grip. I use chalk for overhand until the weight starts getting too heavy for my fingers then I switch to mixed grip. I can't even imagine the weight slipping with mixed grip. For some reason it just locks the bar into my hands even without chalk.
How much do you deadlift?

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
I love using chalk. It really helps my grip. I lift heavier when I use it. It doesn't weaken my grip it actually makes mine stronger
Yea I know using chalk lets me lift heavier. I was just wondering if chalk would weaken my grip in general, because it had the assistance of chalk.

Beefy Jew

Awards
Using chalk helps grip, but I only use it once my grip fails near the end of my sets with higher weights.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea I know using chalk lets me lift heavier. I was just wondering if chalk would weaken my grip in general, because it had the assistance of chalk.
No, chalk doesnt do the work for you. It only removes the moisture from ur hands to allow ur well-designed skin to do their job - which is grip things. You still havr to squeeze and hold, it just increases the friction greatly by reducing the oils and sweat to nothing.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, chalk doesnt do the work for you. It only removes the moisture from ur hands to allow ur well-designed skin to do their job - which is grip things. You still havr to squeeze and hold, it just increases the friction greatly by reducing the oils and sweat to nothing.
Bingo. Also helps with bars that have had their knurling stripped due to age or extreme asshattery.