Training questions?

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Ok looking for advice/hints/tips here.
First question
I can hit the gym 4 times a week Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. With that said my current split is
Monday chest/shoulders bench/over head press
Wednesday back/light shoulder dead lift delt raises
Thursday mainly a light arm day
Saturday legs squat/presses.
Would it be helpful to move my overhead presses to Thursday? I ask because this past Monday I hit a set PR but then it took away from my shoulder work. The goal of all this is get me ready for my first attempt at the state game for powerlifting. Thanks in advance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, you'll want to completely revamp your routine to emphasize movements and not muscles. Next, you'll need to address your weak areas in each of the big 3 and program around that. Although it is a great lift, OHP isn't something that is generally done for a Max Effort for a true PL'ing template. Finally, and most importantly,do you have a coach that can analyze your technique? Technique is EVERYTHING when it comes to progress in PL'ing and the techniques are very different from BB'ing.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
First thanks for reply. I knew there was a reason I loved this forum. Unfortunately no I don't have a coach.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you familiar with the technical aspects of the lifts?

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Just what I have read and seen on YouTube lot of Dave Tate stuff

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just what I have read and seen on YouTube lot of Dave Tate stuff
That's a good start. My advice is to film yourself while training. It doesn't have to a 1RM, but make it pretty heavy (a 5RM works well). From there, critiques can be made regarding technique, programming, weak spots, etc.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Ok will have to do that.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
I have feeling technique will need work. What kind of split would i need if I only had access to a power/squat rack once a week?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have feeling technique will need work. What kind of split would i need if I only had access to a power/squat rack once a week?
Umm, that makes things much more difficult. Why only once a week?

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
My gym has two locations one on my way home from work and another clear across town. Of the only one has a squat/power rack. Guess which one. Due to time constraints I can only use that one on Saturdays.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
My gym has two locations one on my way home from work and another clear across town. Of the only one has a squat/power rack. Guess which one. Due to time constraints I can only use that one on Saturdays.
Needless to say I have done a ton of goblet squats.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's too light to really get a good indication of everything. It's hard to tell, but it looks like your knees are slightly over the bar.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Ok I can ramp it up. I just want to keep at a weight I didn't need to strap up

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Ok will do. I already have chalk which I use. The only time I use straps is when I'm pulling 315 which I can get 6 reps.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok will do. I already have chalk which I use. The only time I use straps is when I'm pulling 315 which I can get 6 reps.
Make sure your gym allows chalk. Mine dosent.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Haven't said anything yet. ;-). Small gym local only. I know when I started using chalk it made a huge difference. :)

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haven't said anything yet. ;-). Small gym local only. I know when I started using chalk it made a huge difference. :)
I love local gyms. I got kicked out of planet fitness for failing on a 350 squat back a year ago. They wouldnt let me pick things up and put them down:(

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
I heard the stories. I laugh at the commercial they have with the ab guy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to lower the bar height; it's too high. Sit back more on your hips and you'll need to really focus on posterior chain and ab strength. It's hard to see your upper back because of the plate, so I can't comment on your upper back tightness.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
You need to lower the bar height; it's too high. Sit back more on your hips and you'll need to really focus on posterior chain and ab strength. It's hard to see your upper back because of the plate, so I can't comment on your upper back tightness.
Thank you. I have started working more on abs and doing hypers. Working in good mornings too

EDIT: what exercises do I need to strengthen my posterior chain?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you. I have started working more on abs and doing hypers. Working in good mornings too

EDIT: what exercises do I need to strengthen my posterior chain?
GHR, reverse hypers, seated good mornings, SLDL, etc.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
SLDL= stiff leg dead lift right?

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
How does this look for a bench day?
Flat bench
1x5x155
1x4x165
1x5x165
1x4x165
1x4x165
Incline db
12x30
10x40
7x50
Tate press
12x20
10x25
9x30
Overhead press
5x5x90

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Imma go out and suggest 5/3/1 for your split

Mon-Bench
Wed-Deadlift
Thurs-Press
Sat-Squat

And an upper lower fashion

Bench/Press upper
Squat/Deadlift lower

Basic template
Bench+Chins
Press of some sort-3-5x10-20
Row of some sort-3-5x10-20
Tris+upper back-3-5x10-20 or 100 total reps

Deadlift
Unilateral Quad work-3-5x10-20
Hamsting/Post Chain work-3-5x10-20
Abs work-3-5x10-20

Press+Chins
Dips/Press work-3-5x10-20
Row of some sort-3-5x10-20
Tris+Upper Back-3-5x10-20 or 100 total reps

Squat
Hamstring/Post chain work-3-5x10-20
Unilateral Quad work w/ added ROM-3-5x10-20
Abs-3-5x10-20

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. That looks like it will fit well. I really do appreciate all the input. And if my partner doesn't flake I'll post a new dl video at a heavier weight. I'll get one up of my bench too. Partner seems to be catching warm weather-itis. :-/

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Also a revised workout based on sweetlou's suggestion
Dead lifts
15x135
8x205
2x5x255
1x4x255 grip fail
1x3x255 grip fail
Split squat
30x12
40x12
40x10
Reverse hyper
3x15x bw.
Roman chair straight leg
3x15
Farmer walks
90x 240'
2x120x 120' 90 sec rest

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Another one comments suggestions
Squat
3x5x135
1x5x145
1x12x145
Good mornings
10x95
4x12x115
Single leg press
12x90
10x95
10x95
10x95
Free motion ab
20x30
15x40
10x60
farmer walks
90x 360'
3x120x 180'

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
What can I do to increase my grip strength?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your lower back rounds during every rep on you deadlifts. You must keep it tight the entire time and let the bar come to a complete stop after every rep.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to add some things.

Your lower back is rounding on the deadlifts - push your chest forward and create a nice arch in your back. You don't want to deadlift with a rounded back.

On the squats, it's like you're doing speed reps. Feel free to pause at the top of the lift. Most people squat, then when they get to the standing position again they count "one thousand one, one thousand two" and then they squat.

Widen your grip a bit. This will help with depth. Second, you want your hips to break before the knees. It looks like you may be breaking simultaneously and for a lifter just learning to squat, this isn't good.

Most people sit down on the toilet better than they squat. Imagine there is an imaginary seat behind you. You want the glutes to continue doing back and then push them forward as the concentric motion occurs.

If your gym has a box, that would be even better.

Your toes are pointed outward around the 30 degrees margin, which is a good thing. Just widen your grip and like rodja has stated pull the hips back. You'll want to remember this "ass up, hips forward".

You don't want to "leg press the weight up" meaning drive your feet in the ground and push up with your quads. You'll want to raise the ass, and drive your back into the bar to extend the hips.

Keep the bar parallel to your feet at all times. Your bar appears to be just a tad bit high. on your back.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again guys I will work on all that. I have spent way too much time on the leg press and hack squat machine. :-/

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
I really do appreciate all the help. If my partner doesn't flake I should have a bench vid Monday or Tuesday.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
If I was going to build a box to box squat what kind of dimensions would I be looking at?

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Bench+Chins
Flat bench
4x5x155
1x8x155
Chins
Overhand
3x bw.
Underhand
5x bw.
3x bw.
3x bw.
Incline db
1x15x35
1x10x40
1x10x40
Chest supported row
1x11x90 underhand
1x7x90 underhand
1x8x70 overhand
Puller over/tate press
20x20/20x20
20x25/15x25
20x25/15x25
15x25/13x25

How do the routines look so far?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Much more balanced for your goals. Id work on locking in your programing for the main lifts some. You could just stack plates at the gym or use a small box and stack plates on top of it. Mats work too.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
I can tell my body wants kick the Sh!! out of me lol. I'm going to get 531 this weekend. So I can read up on it all. I think my partner has pretty much bailed except for like one workout a week not sure when I can get a bench video up to critique.