Deadlifting comp. for reps

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
Haven't been posting on AM in forever, but came back for some input

Im working in the UAE and saw a lifting competition at the local gym

After reading the guidelines and speaking with the manager I was told there wasn't going to be weight classes so everyone will weigh in and do reps of 60% BW
The categories are bench, deadlift, and squat

I plan on participating in DL and squat.

There has not been a decision by the gym on straps/chalk use.

My question: what is the best way to prepare?

Should I try and boost strength and power for the next few weeks and then the month before the competition try to lose extra bodyweight so I will be lifting a lighter load?

Or when I deadlift should I "practice" doing 60%-70% of my bw to failure?

Currently I'm about 95kg
I will be going to Vietnam/Cambodia from march 24-April 9 and will not be able to train.
The comp is scheduled for may 28.
Any tips on grip strength is welcome, I've never had a strong grip!

Thanks for any info

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I suck at math - but I think you'll be lifting ... like maybe ... 125 pounds? Hell that's not even two 45 pound plates on a bar.

So I guess the winner is who can do the most reps because that's not a lot of weight.

Personally - I would just practice doing 125 for reps to failure. Maybe go a bit higher with the weight during the training?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds more like cardio than a lifting competition.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
Yea I know it's a weird comp..
I'm workin in the middle of nowhere and am probably the only one doing squats and deadlifts on a consistent basis
I thought the sign meant 60% of your 1rm (as if to say they would be pre testing you or something)

But I could just imagine some short 150lb guy dead lifting little more than the bar for hours.

English isn't anyone (besides yours truly) in the gym, so they were asking me to help with the rules and forms to fill out, but they won't be convinced otherwise

I feel like I should take anti inflams before to keep away back pumps cause that will be a limiting factor prob, not the weight!

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
As a note to test the level or "hardcore" at the gym...

No cage, only one half rack
No DL platform
Only 1 of each kind of bench
Dbell to 50kg

They want to have a bodybuilding show but with basketball shorts, I'm convinced the reason is that no one does legs, not the fact that they are all Muslim
I recommended wearing boxer briefs or some sort of short shorts to at least show lower quad and ham development while not effecting religious beliefs or customs...

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
I would go about building up strength normally, but as yer final working set use the competition weight & rep out. Then just try & beat that number each week til the comp.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
I would go about building up strength normally, but as yer final working set use the competition weight & rep out. Then just try & beat that number each week til the comp.
Was thinkin something like that, good idea to put it at the end so I can train when slightly exhausted.. When it comes to the day I'll feel fresh

Besides, DL that light all the time would be boring!

I'll do the same for squat as well

Goin up against a few guys usin gear and hgh, but their training is all over the place, it's such a waste of gear! But if I beat them I won't complain

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
this whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. 60% of bw on a dl? At minimum it should be 1.5-2x bw for reps. Who the **** wants to do 200 reps @ 125? Form is going to break down looooong before anyone is done. The weight is light but it doesn't take much to tweak something when you are fatigued and sloppy.

Try to talk these people into at the very least 1.5 x bw.

Last edited:
smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
I know, I totally agree...

They asked me to proofread their rules and terms/conditions pages for errors in English. I wasnt concerned with any grammatical errors after reading 60%bw!

This is their 2 annual show and lifting competition (I was home in the USA last year)

There is a philipino trainers manager setting up the event who needs to get everything approved by the emirati gym manager... You can see how things can get lost in translation...

I won't be participating in their show but may help with judging

I doubt they will change the 60%bw because they "don't want to deal with weight classes"

I think they will get an awakening when each persons lifts are 4 minutes of continuous dead lifting!

All I can say is that I pray to be last or know the number I need to beat because if I gotta go first ill be DEAD the next day

( he mentioned a 3000 aed prize which is my main reason for asking the AM members for advice :)

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I doubt they will change the 60%bw because they "don't want to deal with weight classes"
If they did 1.5 X Bw they wouldn't have to deal with weight classes. Even at that it will probably be 20 reps for most people, unless they are all pussies..lol

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
I agree, 60% don't make sense at all. I've seen comps with bodyweight, which gets interesting. 1.5-2x bodyweight gets alil more interesting too. For a minute I initially thought "60% of 1RM."

My thinking is they (ppl who put this comp together) know for a fact anything more than 60% would destroy their competitors. So, maybe its a reflection of who exactly signed up?

But hell, if the prize is worth it I'll play ball. Could end up being an easy win if you stay healthy & train right.

adnscmplx

Awards
I can do 10,000 reps at 60% BW (200 lbs). Who wants some!!??

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
I can do 10,000 reps at 60% BW (200 lbs). Who wants some!!??
World record for longest consistent dead lifting set!

About the level of competitors, it's almost like any other gym with many different athletic types (moSt being soccer players)
A few meat heads that have massive chests with tiny backs and legs

I'll suggest bw at least because 1.5 didn't work

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
If they did 1.5 X Bw they wouldn't have to deal with weight classes. Even at that it will probably be 20 reps for most people, unless they are all pussies..lol
If I knew how to use emoticons symbol things I would give you a thumbs up on the pussies comment hahaha

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
How'd the comp go?
Just got Internet back!

The philipino gym instructor took the propisition to the Arab head of the recreation center and he scrapped the deadlift AND squat
now it's just a bench competition... This place is ridiculous
oh well can enjoy my 2 weeks in Vietnam/Cambodia and eat all the rice I want

Just kinda blows that the comp got totally scratched