Mental block stalling my deadlifts

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Earlier today I deadlifted 605 lbs. I haven't deadlifted 600 since 2004. I took a 5 year break from powerlifting mainly due to laziness. Started back around 2010. Anyway in 04 my conventional squat was 475@220 bodyweight, 600 conventional DL, 345 BP. Now I've converted to sumo squats, 675x2. I've also converted to sumo DL's but haven't had as much success with them, 550 lbs!! Well today I had to go back to basics. My whole focus was making that sumo DL like a sumo half squat! I was stuck on 550 and got 605 today. Part of my mental block was also a few back injuries! Changing from conventional to sumo helped that!

joeblow1

Awards
Earlier today I deadlifted 605 lbs. I haven't deadlifted 600 since 2004. I took a 5 year break from powerlifting mainly due to laziness. Started back around 2010. Anyway in 04 my conventional squat was 475@220 bodyweight, 600 conventional DL, 345 BP. Now I've converted to sumo squats, 675x2. I've also converted to sumo DL's but haven't had as much success with them, 550 lbs!! Well today I had to go back to basics. My whole focus was making that sumo DL like a sumo half squat! I was stuck on 550 and got 605 today. Part of my mental block was also a few back injuries! Changing from conventional to sumo helped that!
Strengthening your hips and posterior chain should also help you on your sumo.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Indeed. The bulk of my workload is sumo good mornings! My goal with these is to make it look and feel as close as possible to a sumo deadlift. I do not have access to Louie Simmons' reverse hyper. Wish I did, he says it can add 100 lbs to ur squat n DL! I lift at Anytime fitness, they do not have 100 lbs plates, so 675 is as high as I can go. So my squat is 675x2. I'm just gonna have to start doing reps! My next best exercise would be box squats.

joeblow1

Awards
Indeed. The bulk of my workload is sumo good mornings! My goal with these is to make it look and feel as close as possible to a sumo deadlift. I do not have access to Louie Simmons' reverse hyper. Wish I did, he says it can add 100 lbs to ur squat n DL! I lift at Anytime fitness, they do not have 100 lbs plates, so 675 is as high as I can go. So my squat is 675x2. I'm just gonna have to start doing reps! My next best exercise would be box squats.
I suggest ditching anytime fitness and seeking a real powerlifting gym to train at. You can go on powerlifting watch.com and search for gyms near your area. The atmosphere in a real gym and hardcore training partners will push you to new levels. The reverse hyper and ghr will definately add at least 50 lbs to your squat in a couple months. Plus in a real gym youll be able to train with guys that are at the level you want to be at.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Ur absolutely right, I will seek out a better gym eventually( hopefully one that has reverse hypers, a belt squat machine, and a real glute/ham machine.) the part that keeps me is the 24 hour part. It is really convenient to be able to go any time of the day, but u are absolutely right this gym is geared towards woman and aerobics!

joeblow1

Awards
Ur absolutely right, I will seek out a better gym eventually( hopefully one that has reverse hypers, a belt squat machine, and a real glute/ham machine.) the part that keeps me is the 24 hour part. It is really convenient to be able to go any time of the day, but u are absolutely right this gym is geared towards woman and aerobics!
I train at a private powerlifting gym and I go whenever I want. Alot of hardcore gyms are private and if you know the owner than they will usually let you train when you want. But most of the time we train as a team so my extra sessions are what I do alone.

GaWd

GaWd

Awards
I think most of us could use a new gym, but scheduling, cost, availability and other factors play into the whole equation.

I'm next to Wildiron Gym, but the cost and their schedule just aren't a match for me right now. If you can find a PL gym though, I'd strongly suggest it.

joeblow1

Awards
I think most of us could use a new gym, but scheduling, cost, availability and other factors play into the whole equation.

I'm next to Wildiron Gym, but the cost and their schedule just aren't a match for me right now. If you can find a PL gym though, I'd strongly suggest it.
I know the prices of chain gyms and hours are usually more attractive, but you can't put a price on quality training. The atmosphere, equipment, training partners, and experience in a real gym make a huge difference. The commercial chain gyms dont care about there members they only want your money. They offer attractive gimmicks to bring in couch potatoes, they know most likely they wont ever use the gym, but as long as they get you to sign a contract they have your money. Its a smart move from a business perspective, but not good for the true iron warriors. The equipment is usually cheap and low quality. You also have a bunch of idiots getting in your way.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
U will have a bunch of idiots gettin in ur way, and no one will ever take ur advice. I've been lifting weights and studying the iron game for 15 years off and on, probably 10 GOOD years. I saw some guys doing overhead squats in order to help their snatch I guess. They didn't understand why they couldn't keep their balance. I told them to keep their feet flat, lol like someone can snatch world record weight on their toes. They said ok, then continued to squat to the hole on their toes! Lol

GaWd

GaWd

Awards
There's only one thing more important than lifting, and that's my family. Hence the reason I deal with cheap gyms and odd hours. I hope things change enough to be able to put into my passion what you guys do.

joeblow1

Awards
There's only one thing more important than lifting, and that's my family. Hence the reason I deal with cheap gyms and odd hours. I hope things change enough to be able to put into my passion what you guys do.
I agree family is the most important and they should also support you and your dreams as you support theirs. My wife and kids enjoy watching me compete. I hope one day my son and daughter will train with me when they get older.