New Need Advice

Herm

Awards
All of the training I have done for the past couple years would all be geared towards isolations exercises for the most part. I would greatly appreciate anyone suggesting some things I should focus on if I want to move towards powerlifting. I have kinda shyed away from alot of stuff I may have ignorantly considered powerlifting exercises for fear of injury but I feel like Id rather change what im doing in the gym. Ive never really cared about the cosmetic aspectic of lifting and have wanted more strength but I dont really know what to do. If anyone could give me some examples of exercises or advice on reps ranges and things like that it would be great.

joeblow1

Awards
All of the training I have done for the past couple years would all be geared towards isolations exercises for the most part. I would greatly appreciate anyone suggesting some things I should focus on if I want to move towards powerlifting. I have kinda shyed away from alot of stuff I may have ignorantly considered powerlifting exercises for fear of injury but I feel like Id rather change what im doing in the gym. Ive never really cared about the cosmetic aspectic of lifting and have wanted more strength but I dont really know what to do. If anyone could give me some examples of exercises or advice on reps ranges and things like that it would be great.
Well for starters compound movements are all you need for the first couple years. The bench, squat, and deadlift are your bread and butter. Assistance work should include rows, pull ups, overhead press, close grip bench, lots of glute ham raises, reverse hypers, and heavy abs. If you train at a commercial gym that doesnt have these essential machines do good mornings. Make it a point to find a real powerlifting gym with powerlifters. Keep rep ranges on main movements 1-5, assistance 8-15. Learn the westside barbell conjugate system, it is doctrine for powerlifters. There are other training methods that are also effective as well, but westside is a proven method that has produced numerous champions and world record holders. The most crucial aspect of strength is technique.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
westside is great but very hard to implement without having someone to teach it to you. at least if you want to get the most out of the program. the devil is in the details on this program and it is full of details. and those details truly decide whether you are using westside or not, or even the conjugate system which is the base plan for westside.

5/3/1 is a common program that is easily understood. you can find the book online for about $20. it details out exact workouts to follow so there is not much thinking.

and i agree with the above statement of find other powerlifters. their experience will help any and all reading you may do on powerlifting. and its awesome to be motivated by other guys with similar goals.

joeblow1

Awards
westside is great but very hard to implement without having someone to teach it to you. at least if you want to get the most out of the program. the devil is in the details on this program and it is full of details. and those details truly decide whether you are using westside or not, or even the conjugate system which is the base plan for westside.

5/3/1 is a common program that is easily understood. you can find the book online for about $20. it details out exact workouts to follow so there is not much thinking.

and i agree with the above statement of find other powerlifters. their experience will help any and all reading you may do on powerlifting. and its awesome to be motivated by other guys with similar goals.
Westside is difficult to understand at first but It is a tried and proven method. On their website louie sells the westside book of methods for 50 bucks. Like I said there are other effective programs as well. Jim wendlers 531 for powerlifters is an excellent choice as well and cheaper. Dave tate has a great ebook on elitefts called the vault. Its free to download if you sign up for his strength club also free. If you are looking for powerlifters in your area go to powerlifting watch and search gyms in your area.

Herm

Awards
I appreciate the feedback, alot more useful information than I expected. What im thinking now is, is that im going to have a hard time finding someone to powerlift with at my gym, or gain powerlifting knowledge from. At my previous gym there were a few trainers who pushed powerlifting pretty hard so Im contemplating switching back to that gym and seeing if they will train me on technique until I can perform the lifts myself with confidence, thanks alot on the advice, as well as the advice on literature to look into

joeblow1

Awards
I appreciate the feedback, alot more useful information than I expected. What im thinking now is, is that im going to have a hard time finding someone to powerlift with at my gym, or gain powerlifting knowledge from. At my previous gym there were a few trainers who pushed powerlifting pretty hard so Im contemplating switching back to that gym and seeing if they will train me on technique until I can perform the lifts myself with confidence, thanks alot on the advice, as well as the advice on literature to look into
No problem.