Just got told that Chalk and Deadlifts are not allowed - WTF

spgreer

Awards
I just have to rant about this.

I was asked to make sure to clean up my chalk mess today by a trainer while I was doing deadlifts. I kindly said sure, and after thinking about it for a bit during my last two sets, I became more and more pissed about it.

So, I finished, wiped down the rack, and the floor. Walked over to get one more drink from the fountain and this trainer comes up to me again telling me that it would work better if I got a wet towel to wipe up the floor.

I told him that they should worry more about the teenage kids who don't know how to re-rack their weights, rather than me and my chalk. (Besides, only myself and like 5 other guys use that rack anyway.)

He also tells me that he was actually being nice, because they don't really allow powerlifting either. I said whatever and walked out.

I understand the guy was just doing his job, but really? Really? Without naming the place, (Its the expensive "club" in Del Mar, CA), they've got people balancing 4 feet in the air on Bosu balls, holding dumbells, and they "don't allow dead-lifts." I saw a guy tonight doing flat-bench under a smith machine using a Bosu ball as the bench. I almost took out my camera to take the video of this guy inevitably crashing down to the floor, and me having a new viral you-tube video.

Dead lifts are a freaking cave-man exercise. It's the basics. Its the fundamentals of weight training. I wish there was a real gym closer to my house, but this place is the most convenient. It is a nice place, and I understand that it needs to be kept clean. I really don't mind cleaning up after myself. I really didn't handle myself like an adult tonight.

I think it was the fact that it is already frustrating that this place is HUGE and they can't make a little room to put a dead-lift area. I have to do deads in front of a squat rack in the middle of the floor. Oh, and no dropping the weights. They can't get a padded area on the floor, or some olympic plates with the rubber. Hell, even 24 hour fitness in Pacific Beach has that, and they are 4-times less expensive than this place.

I'm done ranting. Please tell me that I'm not alone on this one.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I feel your pain. When I was in college my gym had a "no Olympic lifts" rule. I would go into the corner and clean. When the 130lb kid came to say something I would death stare, finish my remaining sets, clean up after myself when I finished. This usually worked.

Also when the gym workers were actually people who lifted weights they would let it go more often than not.

bboyflash

Awards
Rosin bags bro, the stuff pitchers use...no mess and gets the job done just like chaulk

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
I feel your pain. I work out at the Air Force base gym here in Texas. They just got a squat rack, smith machine, leg press, and deadlift platform last week. Bout ****in time! They also didn't have dumbbells over 100 until recently and they have a sign that says "for dumbbells over 100, spotter required"!!! That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. They are also extremely anal about using the clamps on the barbells. I was warming up doing barbell curls with ten lb. plates and I had a guy walk all the way over to me to tell me to put the clamps on. Ridiculous.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I feel your pain. I work out at the Air Force base gym here in Texas. They just got a squat rack, smith machine, leg press, and deadlift platform last week. Bout ****in time! They also didn't have dumbbells over 100 until recently and they have a sign that says "for dumbbells over 100, spotter required"!!! That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. They are also extremely anal about using the clamps on the barbells. I was warming up doing barbell curls with ten lb. plates and I had a guy walk all the way over to me to tell me to put the clamps on. Ridiculous.
Even though if your benching alone you should leave the clips off in case you need to dump it.

spgreer

Awards
Clamps with 10s! That's freaking funny!

This place only has 100lb dumbells as well. I just started doing flat-bench again because of it, as I normally stick to dumbells.

I'll have to check out the Rosin bag...Thanks!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
get a wet towel and wipe up the floor? why argue just do it. im a gym employee and id prolly boot your ass

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
LOL I totally feel ya! I had this same issue when I moved to my current city and the closest gym to me is a 24HR. I reluctantly joined but it was out of convenience of location and hours. Anyways, the first week there I had a scrawny azz "personal trainer" come up to me and tell me that I had to wear covered shoes and I couldn't use chalk. I listened to the dude and when I started pulling 405lbs for 6 reps as an up-set, he just walked away and didn't say anything. The following week I was pulling bare feet w/chalk and the dude didn't say sh*t. Now apparently I'm the only one in my gym who can workout barefoot and use chalk.

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
At my gym there are also rules posted everywhere, but everybody ignores them and no employee ever says anything.. Which annoys me.. But hearing your story helps put things into perspective.. :bigeyes:

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Ive got the same issue at my gym. its fckin weak. They told me once that chaulk wasnt allowed, I kinda just stared the worker down and ignored him. And they dont allow lifting without shoes. I only squat and DL with socks. 2 times I got asked to put on my shoes, I argued my case and blatently ignored the workers. Then the most recent time the worker said, "hey could u put on ur shoes just for a little bit while the boss is here"
...cant argue with that one. :D

oh, and the chaulk thing. I use "the bison ball", it's a rock climbing chaulk ball. Much less mess. And I keep it in a sandwich-size tupperware to minimize the mess. The workers dont ever say anything to me about using chaulk, ever.

Kevin James

Kevin James

Awards
Hey I loved this thread and as a newbie I had some beginner questions. What does working out barefoot do for you? And what kind of gym or place really can help you learn how to power lift appropriately? Or even allow you to drop a barbell on the floor? At the moment I'm stuck at 24 hour and I'd love to move up an get some assistance as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At Randolph? I have a friend/training partner that works there.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Hey I loved this thread and as a newbie I had some beginner questions. What does working out barefoot do for you? And what kind of gym or place really can help you learn how to power lift appropriately? Or even allow you to drop a barbell on the floor? At the moment I'm stuck at 24 hour and I'd love to move up an get some assistance as well.
Squatting and deadlifting are usually the main exercises people do barefooted. It just gives you a flat surface to stand on so you aren't leaning one or the other. I actually made the mistake of doing heavy deads once in my Nike Frees and ended up rolling forward and pulling something in my back. They got on to people for being barefoot at my gym too. I just wear my Vans on squat and dead days and they work fine.
At Randolph? I have a friend/training partner that works there.
No it's Goodfellow, in San Angelo. I just moved here in August. I grew up in Florida and Hawaii so it's a bit of a change for me, to say the least.

Oldnsweaty

Oldnsweaty

Awards
When I was in the military they were very anal at our gym too. I once had a female Captain yell at me for sweating. Not on the bench, not on the floor, not on her- just sweating from doing heavy deadlifts. She and another female officer were doing lunges with 2lb dumbells on the mat adjoining mine. Part of the reason I got out of the service after my enlistment was up. They can talk to you like you're **** if they outrank you. Out here in the civilian world it's a lot more laid back and I don't fear going to Leavenworth for speaking my mind.

joeblow1

Awards
Deadlifting barefoot shortens the distance the bar travels. If you choose to lift like this and you have to have covered shoes in your gym just buy deadlift slippers there like wearing socks. I prefer converse all stars, best lifting shoes there are. If you want to really lift stay away from commercial gyms they suck balls. Find a powerlifting gym in your area. Go to powerlifting watch website and search for real gyms in your area and you wont have to deal with the BS that goes on in fitness centers.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
One thing you might want to look in to is liquid chalk

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just lift at a badass gym haha. On the subject of gym employees not wanting people to deadlift... the gym owner took a picture of me deadlifting haha.

Kevin James

Kevin James

Awards
I do my stuff at a 24 hour, I deadlift, but it's nothing big, since I am still new. 250 5x5 is where I'm at right now. Also I use my 5 fingered toe shoes now when squatting and lifting, i love it. Thanks guys!

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
That's what some big gyms are like here, but the gym I lift at is a "lifters gym" , chalk everywhere, up to 170 lb dumbbells, good place.

divo006

divo006

Awards
luckily the gym i go to is "small" and there really arent a whole lot of guys who do actually do deadlifts. only 2 or maybe 3 other guys. but yea, i woulda probably flipped on the dude too but then again i dont go to a gym that has lifting rules. only rules they have is to put your weights up and not to throw weights around (drop weights, although we do but not excessivly).

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
ROFL, no powerlifting? so nobody can bench or squat there? that's funny. Just ignore them.

Curlbros and benchbros are always around the "curl-rack" when I get to my 24HR. Then they stare at me as I ATG squat 2 plates. After I put on the 3rd plate, that area clears out and nobody's there to bother me. Same thing happens when I DL more than 3 plates for reps.

I'd like to use chalk, but I'm too lazy to bother with it, I just use straps for my last/heaviest set of DL's, all others I just use a mixed grip.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
That's because you're a meany
haha nawh. i just see as were all adults and you can clean up your mess. takes like 10seconds to clean it up. if he spilled his water, he'd probably clean that up without being asked.

Kevin James

Kevin James

Awards
Got stared down today at 24 hour for dead lifts. That felt weird...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My gym's owner was encouraging me to deadlift heavy haha.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My gym's owner was encouraging me to deadlift heavy haha.
There was this old ass dude today at my gym deadlifting 315 for reps today. He had to be old enough to get a senior discount...

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I highly recommend Liquid Grip. No mess!

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
I agree with you. The people these days just don't want to take the time. Its to hard and they want to be little pussies. BTW, traing with a ball with air is good. Its good for stability, reaction, quickness and balance. And i am an iron head. So everything has its benfits. But i can say that benching on a bosu ball is just plain stupid.

some people just need to man up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just clean up your mess man. I use chalk at my gym but I clean it up, whip the bar down, and it looks like it was never there. Be respectful man, if they let you bend the rules be nice about it. My gym just opened up a back room for powerlifters, oly plates, racks with safety chains, texas squat bars, bench bars, deadlift bars, ghrs, reverse hyper, prowlers, deadlift platform built by hand. Its a legit place.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I must say when I was relatively knew to working out and everything the first thing I learned to do was bench, deads and squats, yet I go to the gym which is normally packed with 30+ people the squat rack is always open. The only time I had to wait for the rack was one time, last week for a guy doing hanging pulls at the rear of the rack. GTFO and go do that on the smith machine bitch please