Efficient Deadlift Programs?

NYCStrongman

NYCStrongman

Awards
I'm trying out the Coan, but I'm not really like the program itself. I was on the 5/3/1 for a while, but it was too tiring doing all of those sets and then max reps. Anyone know any efficient programs? I can't find any. I just want to get my deadlift to at least 480 by Jan/Feb

AK4lyfe

AK4lyfe

Awards
Look into sheiko. I ran the contest prep program and had amazing results.

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
coan-philipi

if you are relatively new to strength training, and If you can survive it. Expect 100lbs in a year.

AK4lyfe

AK4lyfe

Awards
elitefts.com/sheiko/
I suggest ethier sheiko 37 or the contest prep program

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
if you thought 5/3/1 was too many sets, then you'll hate Sheiko

not sure how warmups and three working sets are too many sets though...

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
Try looking into the Finnish Deadlift Program.
I'm currently using a long version (3 16wk cycles), & took my deadlift from shaky 460 to a strong 500(day1 of wk 16 today, cycle 1). I'm pulling again Saturday, & I'm gonna see whhat damage I can do.

You deadlift 2x per week, off a 5" or higher box. It usually 5sets for 10 reps phase/cycle 1, 5x5 cycle/phase 2, & then it bounces around the last phase/cycle. 1st phase is the romanian deadlift, stopping 1" or so off the ground. 2nd phase is full deadlift off the box, last phase is competition deadlift off the floor.
I think andy bolton runs something based off of this.

There's also a shorter version out there, but I can't post links...
I found it on amptraining website, when I googled it I think it was the first link.

NYCStrongman

NYCStrongman

Awards
coan-philipi

if you are relatively new to strength training, and If you can survive it. Expect 100lbs in a year.
I'm doing that one now, but only thing that confuses me is "desired max". If I put "5000" is it expected of me to do it in 12 weeks? What I desire may not be what I actually get. For now, I put 470. So 30 pounds in 3 months. I'd rather a program where I do it, and whatever gain I get is what gain I get.

NYCStrongman

NYCStrongman

Awards

2 sets of 70/80% x 3, and then 90% for max reps isn't draining?

NYCStrongman

NYCStrongman

Awards
Try looking into the Finnish Deadlift Program.
I'm currently using a long version (3 16wk cycles), & took my deadlift from shaky 460 to a strong 500(day1 of wk 16 today, cycle 1). I'm pulling again Saturday, & I'm gonna see whhat damage I can do.

You deadlift 2x per week, off a 5" or higher box. It usually 5sets for 10 reps phase/cycle 1, 5x5 cycle/phase 2, & then it bounces around the last phase/cycle. 1st phase is the romanian deadlift, stopping 1" or so off the ground. 2nd phase is full deadlift off the box, last phase is competition deadlift off the floor.
I think andy bolton runs something based off of this.

There's also a shorter version out there, but I can't post links...
I found it on amptraining website, when I googled it I think it was the first link.
I'll look into it, thanks bro...

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
I'm doing that one now, but only thing that confuses me is "desired max". If I put "5000" is it expected of me to do it in 12 weeks? What I desire may not be what I actually get. For now, I put 470. So 30 pounds in 3 months. I'd rather a program where I do it, and whatever gain I get is what gain I get.

You gotta realize that the gains you get from your 'expected' number might not match up. You can say you only want 10 pounds in three months. But in reality if you complete the whole program your 1RM still might go up 30 lbs even though you only plugged in a 10lbs increase.

If you plug in that you want 30 lbs in three months you might stall and fail the program. Keep that in mind.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
You gotta realize that the gains you get from your 'expected' number might not match up. You can say you only want 10 pounds in three months. But in reality if you complete the whole program your 1RM still might go up 30 lbs even though you only plugged in a 10lbs increase.

If you plug in that you want 30 lbs in three months you might stall and fail the program. Keep that in mind.
i am on week 8 of coan/phillipi right now. i put in to increase 25lbs. i felt great at the end of last weeks workout and my training partners talked me into testing a new PR. i hit that 25lbs increase last week. i cant wait to see what i get at the end.

i would adjust part way through if i was not hitting my top weights though. not not sure if i would go up though. just in case.

Hanuman108

Awards
I did Sheiko 29 and 30 and I must say it is great for DL. Now I am in 4th week of Coan Phillipi- begining max was 500 and estimated max for the end of program 540 I took about 10 percent increase. I must tell that the workout is killing and all other lift you have to do in 75-80 range but less sets. I am doing only with testo boosters and lots of calories. In the workout of 4 th week there was 90% 2x, that would be 95 % of old lift. I did a bit too much on my legs workout 2 days before so I struggled a bit. But definitely this program acts wonders. For me it is really working miracles.
I did cycle of 310 stiff leg DL, 310 bent over rows and chin ups own weight along with good mornings 220. 3x8. The volume definitely kills. After 2 days I am have just a reading, meditation, resting day:)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i am on week 8 of coan/phillipi right now. i put in to increase 25lbs. i felt great at the end of last weeks workout and my training partners talked me into testing a new PR. i hit that 25lbs increase last week. i cant wait to see what i get at the end.

i would adjust part way through if i was not hitting my top weights though. not not sure if i would go up though. just in case.
i finished coan. i went from 380 to 429. and even got sick and missed 10 days of working out from it. im running it again and plugged in 429 for current and 455 for my new max. i find playing it safe is good.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did Sheiko 29 and 30 and I must say it is great for DL. Now I am in 4th week of Coan Phillipi- begining max was 500 and estimated max for the end of program 540 I took about 10 percent increase. I must tell that the workout is killing and all other lift you have to do in 75-80 range but less sets. I am doing only with testo boosters and lots of calories. In the workout of 4 th week there was 90% 2x, that would be 95 % of old lift. I did a bit too much on my legs workout 2 days before so I struggled a bit. But definitely this program acts wonders. For me it is really working miracles.
I did cycle of 310 stiff leg DL, 310 bent over rows and chin ups own weight along with good mornings 220. 3x8. The volume definitely kills. After 2 days I am have just a reading, meditation, resting day:)
Killer volume for sure.

Congratz on the PR!! That's damn good.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
Louie Simmons (westside barbell). Maximum Effort method, circa maxima method, repetition method!!!! Deadlift day ur gonna max out every week. U can't max out every week or u'll overtrain, so what u have to do is change exercises every week. Week 1 deadlifts, week 2 sumo squats, week 3 bent knee arched back sumo good mornings, week 4 zercher deadlifts, week 5 behind the back DL's etc. etc...

GaWd

GaWd

Awards

^^^ This. ^^^

Also, Coan-Phillippi will have "too many" sets and reps as well.

5/3/1 has the most simple progression and workout...3 work sets. How did this exceed your abilities?

2 sets of 70/80% x 3, and then 90% for max reps isn't draining?

No? If your program and your 1RMs are plugged in correctly for 5/3/1, none of your workouts should leave you for dead. You are either way overreaching, pushing your AMRAP sets too far, or your maxes are set too high.