getting in extra back work without overdoing it??

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
Just got The Vault ebook downloaded from Dave Tate. He said to work your weak muscles by doing extra volume, but im trying to figure out how to do it so i dont effect my ME sqaut day, I'm think that maybe this is the way to go. Anybody here thats an experienced powerlifter that uses westside philosophies please reply......

Day 1 Bench Day and keying in on my upper back exercises like external rotations, face pulls, band pull aparts, reverse flys etc etc.... without doing lat dominant ecercises such as low rows and pull downs/pull ups

Day 2 doing my lat dominant exercises such as low rows and pull downs increasing volume every week by doing 4x10 week 1, 4x15 week 2, 4x20 week 3

and then Day 3 would be my ME Squat and Deadlift day but start with high volume upper back work like mondays upper back workout.

Would this work??? or would my Squat suffer from too much back work??? b/c I know how important your upper back strenght is for your squat

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I too am trying to figure put how to increase volume of back work as my upper back is definitely a weak point. For quite a while I did the following:-
Day 1 - squat
2 - ME bench
3 - light back work
Day off
Day 4 - deads
5 - RE bench
6 - heavy back work.
Day off and then repeat.
This way I was guaranteed 2 days of dedicated work to bring up my back strength without it affecting my other lift days detrimentally. It just took a toll and could maybe be a short term blast but long term it is too much. I have now gonr onto an every other day approach with back assistance at the end of my 2 bench days and any other day I feel I have juice on the tank left to do it. So far so good. Maybe an easy answer to your question is to start training twice some days if you have the time and energy

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Add more volume into your warm-up. Add more volume to you back movements. Add chins inbetween each of your pressing sets.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
On off days you can work in banded goodmornings as light recovery.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
On ME lower day ive been doing SLDL's

on DE lower day ive been doing hyper extensions w weights

Id just add in more reps or volume on the days you have it assigned to. Some people can only train their lower back 1x a week

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
On ME lower day ive been doing SLDL's

on DE lower day ive been doing hyper extensions w weights

Id just add in more reps or volume on the days you have it assigned to. Some people can only train their lower back 1x a week
agreed

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i was recently talking to a training partner about this same thing. and he mentioned that i am thinking of it wrong. i am not trying to do more to get lagging parts behind behind. i am doing less of the stronger stuff to allow the lagging parts to catch up.

i remember reading about things like this from i think it was dan john. an article on t-nation if memory serves me correct. he talked about doing what you suck at to become stronger overall. no need to do so much at what you are already go at. as long as overall it makes you reach your goals faster.

so maybe you need to back off other things so you can recover properly between workouts.