New to powerlifting - AnabolicMinds.com

New to powerlifting

1. New Member

New to powerlifting

Hello everyone!

I have been training as a bodybuilder for 2 years and have now decided to switch my focus to powerlifting. I already have pretty solid numbers for a female, but want to give myself about 9-12 months to really focus on building strength before I participate in a meet.

I have a new program that seems to be working well but I do have a few questions....

1. What are the differences amongst the various federations (namely USAPL vs APF)?
    2. We all know how legit "drug testing" is in the non-natty bodybuilding leagues; is it the same in powerlifting?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  244 lbs.

are you going geared or not geared?
  3. New Member

Geared
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Find a legit team to train with to help with technique. Technique is the MOST important thing in PL'ing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  244 lbs.

not sure which organization is best geared. I agree technique is very important. Im always trying to better improve mine.
  6. New Member

I am trying to find someone/a team to train with :/ Right now I'm still training with a bodybuilder in a very non-PLing friendly gym (I've already been chastised for grunting and I shudder to think what they'd do if I showed up with chalk) - any tips on finding someone?! haha
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i lift in a rehab facility whats more of a bbing gym. i just kept PLing alone and others convereted / joined in. i got a 4-5 man crew now
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefrog View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have been training as a bodybuilder for 2 years and have now decided to switch my focus to powerlifting. I already have pretty solid numbers for a female, but want to give myself about 9-12 months to really focus on building strength before I participate in a meet.

I have a new program that seems to be working well but I do have a few questions....

1. What are the differences amongst the various federations (namely USAPL vs APF)?
    2. We all know how legit "drug testing" is in the non-natty bodybuilding leagues; is it the same in powerlifting?
    federations will vary on things like drug testing, raw vs single-ply vs multi-ply, and the events they cover (bench only, bench/dl, full power, additional events like strict curls). if you are lucky you will have more that one federation operating meets in your area, but traveling is always an option. also, if you are a raw competitor you can still compete in a geared meet. Some allow monolifts, others dont.

as for drug testing, it will depend on federation: for example, APF/AAPF. APF is not tested, AAPF has random drug testing; other federations have no drug testing at all, others its random (or could be targeted too, like all winners or somethign like that). i cant comment on how legit it is, but the penalty is being banned from competing in that federation for a number of years.

go to powerliftingwatch.com, search for meets in your area to determine which federation(s) to join, keeping in mind the number of plies you will be using, and drug testing. you should be able to find the federation's rule book online, but every meet goes over the rules at the beginning to make sure you are there for that just in case.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Find a legit team to train with to help with technique. Technique is the MOST important thing in PL'ing.
    Agreed.
    ACSM-CPT
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefrog View Post
    I am trying to find someone/a team to train with :/ Right now I'm still training with a bodybuilder in a very non-PLing friendly gym (I've already been chastised for grunting and I shudder to think what they'd do if I showed up with chalk) - any tips on finding someone?! haha
    Planet Fitness?????
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. new to powerlifting
    By R1balla in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
  2. powerlifting on epi
    By stullsy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
  3. Everyone What do you think Powerlifting at its best