Powerlifting diet

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Looks interesting.

It's not a true grain and I'm not sure why it's on the don't eat list.
    I can't remember off hand but it was something in quinoa that is a poison. Let me google real quick

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Here's what Cordain's has to say about quinoa:

"Quinoa and amaranth are grain-like crops with potential harmful substances namely saponins. Saponins have been demonstrated to increase intestinal permeability which is one of the factors contributing to many autoimmune diseases, as well as irritable bowel syndrome. So, we recommend to avoid quinoa and amaranth, specially if you suffer from an autoimmune disease."
    I believe it is in the same family as spinach and technically not a grain.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

It's not a true grain and I'm not sure why it's on the don't eat list.
    I found out today. Supposedly there's a protein in it that can cause Celiac symptoms. It's a slight chance, but it's there. Only way to tell is to introduce it into the diet. I want to be fairly moderate about being on paleo.

Most of the paleo people I know tend to drink whole milk when bulking anyhow, and same with powerlifters on Paleo, but I don't want to introduce milk since I'm lactose intolerant. Yogurt maybe, and kefir.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    I found out today. Supposedly there's a protein in it that can cause Celiac symptoms. It's a slight chance, but it's there. Only way to tell is to introduce it into the diet. I want to be fairly moderate about being on paleo.

Most of the paleo people I know tend to drink whole milk when bulking anyhow, and same with powerlifters on Paleo, but I don't want to introduce milk since I'm lactose intolerant. Yogurt maybe, and kefir.
    I like to use whole-milk yogurt and Greek yogurt. I don't do true Paleo since I include dairy, but I avoid grains.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I'm hooked on greek/natural yogurt with coconut in it, Liberté makes one that's amazing. I don't think I could ever give that up, it's too good.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Here's a pretty good resource I came across:

http://www.paleoplan.com/recipes/
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

If my macros call for 3500+ cals to gain, there is no way I can split that over 3 meals and not gain fat. Your body can't process all the protein + cals in such a big meal, unless on something and taking a ton of enzymes. There's no way that 1200 calorie meals won't put on fat... plus if eating clean, think of how hard it would be to eat 1200 clean calories in one meal.

Now when dieting, sure, I can eat 3 meals with lower cals, and lots of healthy fat + protein that takes a long time to break down, like beef...will still be a pretty hefty size meal to get down though. But there is no way I could ever bulk cleanly on 3 meals.

4-5 meals I like... with bcaas/eaa's in the morning. I love sipping on MST's RPG all morning long.
    lol dude just gotta stretch the stomache out. im on leangains and my postworkout meal is 2000 calories which is basically consisting of a ton of oats, a sweet potatoe, and chicken. barbeque sauce on the chicken helps alot with getting all that down.
    btw do any of you powerlifters on leangains train fasted? i feel so much stronger when i do
    you can lead a man to knowledge, but you cant make him think.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Is rice aloud on paleo? And isnt quinoa acidic?
    Also does protein synthesis happen while fasted? Layne norton says leangains isnt wise bc of this.
    Do you guys think it matters if you eat a higher carb or higher fat diet for powerlifting?
    Also on leangains the fast breaking meal or post wo meal is the biggest with about 100g protein...this wont turn to glucose?
    Thanks lets keep the discussion going
    martin berkam(leangains guy) says that you dont train completely fasted. you take 10 g bcaas before and that way you side step the problems of training completely fasted.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

EAA's are a good idea on this diet. I've been trying it out, and sipping EAA's all morning.
    I used to train fasted years ago.. not for me. I workout in the evening now.. eating 2 hrs prior and taking 10-15grams of EAA's during and after. Trying to up my EAA's and cut down on protein shakes. Also cutting out BCAA's and replacing them with EAA's and extra glutamine + l-leucine.
  10. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

EAA's are a good idea on this diet. I've been trying it out, and sipping EAA's all morning.
    I used to train fasted years ago.. not for me. I workout in the evening now.. eating 2 hrs prior and taking 10-15grams of EAA's during and after. Trying to up my EAA's and cut down on protein shakes. Also cutting out BCAA's and replacing them with EAA's and extra glutamine + l-leucine.
    What brand EAA do you use? Or is it just bulk?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

The prices of AA's are rising right now. Bc I'm a cheap ass, I'm just sticking to 5g of Leucine with my pre-WO concoction.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    The prices of AA's are rising right now. Bc I'm a cheap ass, I'm just sticking to 5g of Leucine with my pre-WO concoction.
    Yea I figure as long as your not dosing luecine at a crazy dose you should be okay so long as your overall protein intake has enough of the other bcaas.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnitup122

lol dude just gotta stretch the stomache out. im on leangains and my postworkout meal is 2000 calories which is basically consisting of a ton of oats, a sweet potatoe, and chicken. barbeque sauce on the chicken helps alot with getting all that down.
    btw do any of you powerlifters on leangains train fasted? i feel so much stronger when i do
    Just realized iv been measuring oats by the cup when I thought I was using a half cup. So that almost doubles my carbs.. That's like almost 3000 cals in one meal. Im a friggin beast!
    Sorry just had to tell someone. Carry on. lol
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    What brand EAA do you use? Or is it just bulk?
    I always use MST's RPG. Best tasting around and pretty good profile, also uses no artificial colors or dyes

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/m...-servings.html
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnitup122 View Post
    Not Powerlifter, but I'm a strength athlete. I always train fasted
    ACSM-CPT
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

Btw would having more intra muscular fat make for better strength because of the leverage it gives in relation to the bone? Like is that why alotta powerlifters let themselves get chubby?
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnitup122 View Post
    Btw would having more intra muscular fat make for better strength because of the leverage it gives in relation to the bone? Like is that why alotta powerlifters let themselves get chubby?
    Athletes are going to have a higher amount of intra-muscular triglycerides, but the reason some PL'ers are in the higher BF% is because of the mentality that you have to get as big as you can to lift the most weight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Athletes are going to have a higher amount of intra-muscular triglycerides, but the reason some PL'ers are in the higher BF% is because of the mentality that you have to get as big as you can to lift the most weight.
    Back when I trained with a very well known crew (I will leave the name out) I was told do to my height of 6 foot I must stay at least 300lbs to be any good. I am actually much better at the 210-220 range.
    ACSM-CPT
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Back when I trained with a very well known crew (I will leave the name out) I was told do to my height of 6 foot I must stay at least 300lbs to be any good. I am actually much better at the 210-220 range.
    You're also very young and didn't train at that weight long enough to give it a true assessment.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

You're also very young and didn't train at that weight long enough to give it a true assessment.
    I trained at that weight (300lb) for 5 years. I have been this weight for one year, and I perform much better here.
    ACSM-CPT
  21. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I trained at that weight (300lb) for 5 years. I have been this weight for one year, and I perform much better here.
    But as I said, you're still very, very young. Hell, you're barely out of the Juniors category and you've even said that you don't train with barbells anymore, so how would you really know?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

But as I said, you're still very, very young. Hell, you're barely out of the Juniors category and you've even said that you don't train with barbells anymore, so how would you really know?
    I did up until 6 months ago and I am stronger using a barbell than when I was training with them.
    ACSM-CPT
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I did up until 6 months ago and I am stronger using a barbell than when I was training with them.
    Come again? Can you re-word that sentence because you lost me? Are you saying that you're stronger now than when you were training with the team? If so, why are surprised? You're older and not even close to being at your strongest. All I'm saying is that you can't put much stock into what you could or could not accomplish while you're young and inexperienced.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. IF and powerlifting
    By SweetLou321 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
  2. How to Add Cardio and Diet to Your Powerlifting Regimen
    By Future in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM
  3. Everyone What do you think Powerlifting at its best