Homemade gym equipment

Iron_Clad

Awards
Hello all,

I'm a fabricator based in central Maryland, and i've recently got into building gym equipment like the prowler and push-up spikes.

I was looking for new equipment to build for a better price than typically offered and I figured these forums would be the best place to start. I'm looking for ideas, not commitments, so if you've ever had an idea on a new product or to modify an existing one, I'de love to hear it.... Thanks in advance! Also, I cannot respond to Pms until my post count hits 7, please e-mail me at [email protected] if you'de like personal feedback.

When I get home, I will add a photo of a prowler I made with mods. It's uncoated, but was later zinc primed and then coated the frame silver and posts/skids gloss black.

Last edited:

Iron_Clad

Awards
Here are a few photos, original sled and a modified, both raw and then coated.

rawmodifiedprowler.jpg
raworiginalprowler.jpg
coatedmodifiedprowler.jpg
coatedoriginalprowler.jpg

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
This looks pretty BA. Can we get some "in use" shots...That would be awesome

Iron_Clad

Awards
I have a short video on my phone, but I can't upload from it...i'll email it and upload it when I get home.

Iron_Clad

Awards
I can't upload the video for some reason, I'll see if I can't get anyone to send me an action shot in the future.

Here is a picture of the push-up spikes not coated.

1111pushupspike.jpg

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards

Iron_Clad

Awards
I could probably do one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes of the push-up spikes.

I'de have to check on the shiiping for the sled though. I'll have them texture coated within a few days, and I could post a picture tonight of the larger size 1 5/8" vs smaller 1"

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards

Iron_Clad

Awards
Here is a side by side shot of the 1 5/8" and 1" Push-Up Spikes.

I'm going to have these coated in a textured black, similiar to the bedliner called Line-X for extra grip.

TG, I'll try and get you a price quote within the next week including shipping. Thanks man!

1111pushupspike2.jpg

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
Subbed to see more pics if you end up doing more things, beautiful work.

Iron_Clad

Awards
I'm making a traditional drag sled this afternoon, and i'm working on creating a mock ab wheel. Once I get the mock together i'll put out money for something more appealing to the eye. I'll be doing a yoke and some sort of farmers walk bars in the future.

I'm working on getting photos so I can create a site as well. I'm talking 6-12 months out though.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Wow, really good looking equipment! Wish I had your skills cause I could seriously use some of that !! :D

Subbed!

Iron_Clad

Awards
Wow, really good looking equipment! Wish I had your skills cause I could seriously use some of that !! :DSubbed!
I could always ship...i've sold the prowlers for less than half of what elitefts has...

Iron_Clad

Awards
More work!

a standard sized dragging sled and a olympic(plate) sized sled.

These are the first two i've done, I'm not exactly thrilled with them but I guess they are practical. I'm going to keep researching different brands and options other drag sleds have and re-do the plan before I finalize anything.
1111draggingsleds.jpg

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
I could always ship...i've sold the prowlers for less than half of what elitefts has...
You ship to Sweden too? ;)

Are you building from top of your head or are you following some sort of schematics ?

Iron_Clad

Awards
I typically make a mock piece, then change and modify the piece til it suits my preference.

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
The Drag sleigh? is that one of those things that runners use? I need one of those

Iron_Clad

Awards
You can use it for anything concerning lower body strength/endurance. I've sold prowlers to strongmen and ironmen(triathalons)...so they work both ways

Iron_Clad

Awards
Any suggestions on gear I should make that is or is not on the market? I'm thinking of building a reverse hyper, I just want to see one in person. I just finished 2 drag sleds and had both the push-up spikes and sleds coated.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty sweet to see others that do their own equipment too! I have been looking into building a couple prowlers to have races with. Push them down the alley so far, turn around and pull them back. Would def be a killer workout!

Iron_Clad

Awards
Yes I do Resolve, I'll PM you on the Prowler and Sled but I need to know your postal code.

Iron_Clad

Awards
Here is the finished products of the two drag sleds and the larger set of push-up spikes. I'm thrilled with the spikes, but I think i'm going to make changes to the sleds. I'm not sure if it is better to have just one single loop in the front of the sled for attaching or to break it down like I did with two different attachments. I always appreciate feedback good or bad. Thanks to all that have responded so far

1111draggingsledscoated.jpg
1111pushupspikecoated.jpg

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Sorry I_C, No body wants to throw down on a sled with me, and right now I just cant afford to purchase one myself. I would like to order some spikes though. What your method of payment? I would prefer PayPal if you have an account. I'll definitely get some action shots for you too.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established

Iron_Clad

Awards
The spikes have a textured coating. Thats why they're not glossy.

Iron_Clad

Awards
Sorry I_C, No body wants to throw down on a sled with me, and right now I just cant afford to purchase one myself. I would like to order some spikes though. What your method of payment? I would prefer PayPal if you have an account. I'll definitely get some action shots for you too.
I'll set one up on monday and ship them on on tuesday if possible.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I have never tried spikes do you have a price range? Would like to pick up a set, possibly a 2" oly sled too but have to see if my gym owner will let me keep it there.

Iron_Clad

Awards
PM sent, the sled can fit easily. Less than 2' square.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PhantomReaper Nutrition / Health 56
Supplements 7
Cheeky Monkey Supplements 2
hercules_22 Supplements 6
sheepdog.tx Training Forum 29