Which strength program worked for you?

ViKtoricus

ViKtoricus

Awards
Of all the training programs that you have tried, (whether you made it yourself or if it is something established already) which ones have given you the best boosts in strength?

And please be detailed about it. None of that "I SQUAT HEAVY AND DRINK MILK" crap.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
My years of serious training are limited but I have great faith in DC Training as far as mass and strength gains.

bird901

Awards
Following a Westside template worked well for me. I made constant PR's. I'm trying 5/3/1 now. So, far it's ok. It's hard to get used to working with lighter weight constantly. I read the 5/3/1 for powerlifting the other day, and I'm probably going to stick with that for a while. It keeps you working with heavier weight more often, and allows you to hit some singles more often.

matt352

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the link I think I might try that out for a while...have you had any success with it?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 is awesome if youre gonna stay on it for like a year

other than that

WSC all the way

ive done both, and once youre experienced ill say WSC is superior if you got ppl to help you and critique you. 5/3/1 you'll put on like 30lbs+ easy. i

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1) 5/3/1 for me
2) westside for skinny bastards v3
3) westside
Ill say that my attempts at both the above versions of westside are why they rank 2 and 3 for me. I learned A LOT doing 5/3/1 that one day ill take to use westside once again. Examples are proper assistence work, technique, explosiveness. 5/3/1 really allowed me to learn and grow unlike any other program.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
WESTSIDE IS THE BEST...
I have done 5x5
10 8 6
Pryamid
Classic western periodization
HIT
High Volume bodybuilding splits

The westside program has produced significant and consistant strength gains for me put 200lbs on my total between 2009 and 2010. Made Top 15 ranking for my weight class raw as well during that period.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks like its time to get reading on westside lol

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
1. Hussey/Westside Hybrid
2. Wendler 5/3/1

T50

T50

Awards
  • Established
Madcow's 5x5

Worked incredible for myself and probably about 7 other friends who I introduced it too. Regardless of diet, everyone got stronger.

Chico222

Awards
5x5 has done really well for me. In addition, kubiks dinosaur training has helped me hit some PRs. Eapecially using heavy singles training.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I did Starting Strength for 1-2 months, moved up way faster than they said to, was always sore and had some small injuries (nothing that a lacross ball wouldn't fix), but ate a $hit ton and made big leaps in strength gains especially with my squat. It got my lifts to where I wanted them in order to start 5/3/1. I had never done a strength program in the past, always lifted for volume and TUT.

I'm doing the regular 5/3/1 with some volume work thrown in. Going to switch to 5/3/1 powerlifting on my next wave (3/5/1 with singles)

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I SQUAT HEAVY AND DRINK BEER..........

Nawwwwwwww, right now im using GVT and its the best strength program ive ever used, but since its so intense your muscles take ALOT longer to recover.

Like if i do Biceps, within the next 3-4 days they will be sore as hell.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I didn't think GVT was specifically for strength, since it's volume training... What sort of strength gains are you seeing from it?

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I didn't think GVT was specifically for strength, since it's volume training... What sort of strength gains are you seeing from it?
Its not really for strength. Im starting my Var cycle in 3 weeks and then im switching to Advanced German Volume Training which will give you way better strength gains than that of 5x5.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Would you recommend one of the Westside for Skinny Bastard versions over the others?

Or are 1, 2, and 3 all going to be great and it doesnt matter?

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
My little brother is just getting into lifting and I had recommended Starting Strength. Not seeing many people suggesting that one, should I have suggested something else?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My little brother is just getting into lifting and I had recommended Starting Strength. Not seeing many people suggesting that one, should I have suggested something else?
Starting Strength is a great program, and very simple to follow - so it is great for beginners and intermediate lifters. He'll be able to milk the strength gains off it for a long time as long as he eats and sleeps enough. I would recommend this program over any other for a beginner.

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
I've recently started the Finnish Deadlift Program, & after 4 weeks I already noticed an increase in speed off the floor for the deadlift.
I believe Andy Bolton uses a variation of this program, & I've heard of people adding up to 100lbs to their deadlift. However, the version I'm using is long as hell. First cycle is 15+/- weeks, & there's 3 cycles. I've found a shorter one, but I kinda like the load progressions of the long version.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
High Volume All Day!

Brody Laybolt

Brody Laybolt

Awards
i've done 5/3/1 for a few years.. it put literally 200lbs on my squat in two years and 150 on my dead so i say its a good program.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Oh ya lots of adducter abductor, shoulder health stuff, grip stuff. I would still do isolations like curls at the end of workouts just cause.
I'm on westside barbell routine so its similar, two great routines.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Of all the training programs that you have tried, (whether you made it yourself or if it is something established already) which ones have given you the best boosts in strength?

And please be detailed about it. None of that "I SQUAT HEAVY AND DRINK MILK" crap.
"DC training" but with a couple more reps per set and 30-40min per workout not 20-25min.
I know its for mass and i do train for mass (bbing not powerlifting), but strength really lifted off.
just my 0.2

mdpwrlifter

Awards
You can try their website or look them up on YouTube

gagnon71

gagnon71

Awards
How long have you been on it? What kind of gains have you seen?
I have been doing some kind of westside since I started powerlifting.This past year after 2 years of not training I started with the 5/3/1 to get a base and I have been doing 100% westside since.With being back training only a year at the age of 40 I bencher 405 a few weeks ago,dead close to six and five and half squat.I am getting back on the platform hopefully in dec I should be close to my p.r. Total witch is 1615 at 255 in usapl

mdpwrlifter

Awards
Right on that's really solid. I hope to do my first meet soon.

gagnon71

gagnon71

Awards
Right on that's really solid. I hope to do my first meet soon.
Once you do your first you will be hooked,I was.You would think all aggression in one room people would be asses but they are the nicest people and willing to help.Their is mutual respect .

mdpwrlifter

Awards
That sounds like a great environment. I'm just timid because I'm a little guy

gagnon71

gagnon71

Awards
That sounds like a great environment. I'm just timid because I'm a little guy
That does not matter,everyone has to start some ware .Big or small it takes the same effort and exercises to get strong

gagnon71

gagnon71

Awards
Is there any videos explaining westside? I have a hard time understanding alot of it so ive never really tried it.
Yes YouTube,westside has their own site.Elitefts has a great site q an a,exercise index.Most of them guy were at one time training at westside so they are very helpful,Dave Tate ,Jim Wendler and others.

Glycomann

Glycomann

Awards
Specialization. I pick a bodypart and specialize on it so it's my primary focus for 3 months. Everything else is secondary or tertiary. What makes it work is muscle memory in a way. You can do just a little bit to somewhat maintain all the othr parts while focusing training and growth energy into the focused part. Then once that is over go back to normal training and the muscle memory works in your favor. Any losses in othre parts comes right back to previous level.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Starting Strength is a great program, and very simple to follow - so it is great for beginners and intermediate lifters. He'll be able to milk the strength gains off it for a long time as long as he eats and sleeps enough. I would recommend this program over any other for a beginner.

My best results came with Starting Strength. Though to be honest, I was pretty much just starting out so they were a lot of noob gains. Still one of the best programs to get started with IMO.