Pain question

hawkeyes56

Awards
Hi
Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not but here goes anyway. Last night benching had a pain, kinda felt like a cramp starting shoot through my left pec, moved up into my shoulder a little bit. This happened one other time again when I was benching. It only happened when I got to my heavy sets. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I am going to try drinking more water on the days I bench but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

liljoe

liljoe

Awards
Well, since you are 39, I would guess you have been training for a while and know your body pretty well. What supps are you taking and how much water do you drink? A little more info would help. What split, rep range, and how long have you been training consistantly?

hawkeyes56

Awards
Thanks for the response. I try to drink at least 64oz of water a day, however lately I have been drinking alot of lipton green tea, weaned myself off of coca-cola. I have been lifting consistently for the last year. I have been doing sets of 10 lately. Two warm up sets @ 135-225x10-275x10-315x10, the pain this week started when I bumped my last set to 335 it started a little on the 4th rep and I had to quit on the 6th.

liljoe

liljoe

Awards
To me it sounds like an injury developing. It doesn't sound like you are pushing real close to your limit. Make sure you stretch your pecs well before and during your routine. If you can feel a pull when stretching it is almost a dead giveaway. Over the years I have had a few strains and pulls including a nasty bicep tendon strain that took 7 months to come back from. Just work into it easy and see how it feels. If you feel it, take some time off and give it a rest. If you have been training solid day in and out for a year it is probably time for a bit of rest anyway. Every few months I take a week off. That is probably not the norm but, it works for me and I am stronger when I come back. Good luck with it and keep a close eye on it.

hawkeyes56

Awards
Thanks.. I have been meaning to incorporate some stretching and I suppose this a good sign to do it. I appreciate the advice. I do take some time off occasionally one of the drawbacks of getting older or maybe wiser.