Frustrating Deadlift Problem

Redoubt

Redoubt

Awards
This has been my problem with deads since I started training 5 years ago.
I train with a friend who has been lifting solid for about a year and a half, and he can deadlift 440-455 for a 1rm. Myself, on the other hand cannot pull over 450 and I've been at it for SO long. The actual problem is how ridiculously weak my pull is from the floor to my knees. I have a horrible start with any deadlift weight I attempt. I pulled 365 for 6 reps (PR), and I failed simply because I just couldn't budge the weight off the floor. My form is pretty much impeccable to my knowledge (I'm open to learn more with form), but considering I can easily rack lockout 500+ pounds for reps (above the knee), it's clear that somethings not right =(

Any tips/suggestions?

ProOne

Awards
  • Established
Train 3-4 weeks pulling from 2-3 inch platform so you create a deficit. As the rack pulls help your lockout, this will help with your pull from the floor.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like weak quads. What are your assistance lifts for deads?

TheKanezzi

Awards
100% agree to pull from a deficit. id start at 2 inches and work down to 4. The carryover is huge

Redoubt

Redoubt

Awards
Alot of reverse hypers, hip thrusts (thing with bar across hips and you thrust hips up), RDL..stuff like that.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like weak quads. What are your assistance lifts for deads?
That sounds like it to me as well. Olympic squats or leg presses in your deadlift stance always helped me. Deficit pulls will help if only you use more leg drive to overcome the deficit, if you bend over more it just helps your back strength. Just my opinion.

ProOne

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, without seeing him pull a 1RM, we really can only speculate.

Redoubt

Redoubt

Awards
Think zerchers would be a good choice to put into my reg? atleast on assistance days?
I do them alot on assistance days, but never punctually or anything.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i'm guessing lower back strength. had a similar issue with my deads a few years back where the toughest part for me was the initial pull. my legs would shoot straight before i had it up far enough forcing me to basically pull it with all lower back. i figured if my lower back were stronger, i would be able to hold the form while i push my hips forward and lift with my legs. so....i started doing good mornings. as low as i could safely go for a few months, then went back to deads. lo and behold, plateau broken.

if it's a leg strength issue, then listen to the other guys. just didn't sound that way to me.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
My two cents use band training... It will help your pull and also BB hack squats has help me....
I can post vid on what dead band left looks like

bigbumpkin

Awards
  • Established
Train 3-4 weeks pulling from 2-3 inch platform so you create a deficit. As the rack pulls help your lockout, this will help with your pull from the floor.
this is a great way to train also

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
There's a lot of really good advice in the above comments on helping you to reach your deadlift potential but, keep in mind, deadlift and squat requires a specific set of genetics that your buddy may have and you may not. Don't know without seeing him.

However, I can't tell you how many guys I've seen complaining about their deadlifts and squats and "yada yada ... this other guy I know has been lifting for three months and he beats my lifts ... etc"

Then you see the other guy and you know immediately why - he's naturally built like a pit-bull powerlifter. I am 6'2" and 225 and I've been dead lifting and squatting all my life - but I have NEVER been able to beat a genetic powerlifter.

Squatting and Deadlifting are the two moves in the gym where all the "cut" and "shred" and "definition" do you no good. That deadlift bar will move like butter for a big fatass everytime if he's got the DNA to do that lift.

Keep up the work ... but don't get too frustrated with yourself!

Look at it this way - enjoy the weight you can lift - I'm 49 now and my deads are a just a bit more than half what I was lifting in my 20's. Part of the reason is age - but part of it is the herniated disks in my back - which were no doubt caused in my earlier years from trying too hard to be the heaviest lifter in the gym.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My suggestion..Jim Wendlers 5/3/1... you dont have to train at your max in order to get stronger. Give your body a reast and by using the percent system of 5/3/1 you will give yourself some space to grow.

As for assistence work:

• Kettlebell swings
• Heavy eccentric deadlifts
• Glute-ham raises
• Good mornings
• Romanian deadlifts
• Single leg DB deadlifts
• If you DL say "Olympic Style" than your quads will be involved to a greater extent than if you deadlifted say "powlifting style" so in this case, Front squats can be beneficial.
• Also try incorporating some speed days into your deadlifting and use bands or chains. Once a week should be good along with another day a week of heavy deads
• You can also try standing on a box, plate or board that is about a inch off the ground. The extra range of motion may help.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
This from 3 weeks ago 325.... I also use band on my BB hack and Squats.. For me I can break new PR using bands

everyone above has good advice..... Good luck train hard!

YouTube - March 10, 2011 3:53 PM

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
There's a lot of really good advice in the above comments on helping you to reach your deadlift potential but, keep in mind, deadlift and squat requires a specific set of genetics that your buddy may have and you may not. Don't know without seeing him.

However, I can't tell you how many guys I've seen complaining about their deadlifts and squats and "yada yada ... this other guy I know has been lifting for three months and he beats my lifts ... etc"

Then you see the other guy and you know immediately why - he's naturally built like a pit-bull powerlifter. I am 6'2" and 225 and I've been dead lifting and squatting all my life - but I have NEVER been able to beat a genetic powerlifter.

Squatting and Deadlifting are the two moves in the gym where all the "cut" and "shred" and "definition" do you no good. That deadlift bar will move like butter for a big fatass everytime if he's got the DNA to do that lift.

Keep up the work ... but don't get too frustrated with yourself!

Look at it this way - enjoy the weight you can lift - I'm 49 now and my deads are a just a bit more than half what I was lifting in my 20's. Part of the reason is age - but part of it is the herniated disks in my back - which were no doubt caused in my earlier years from trying too hard to be the heaviest lifter in the gym.
Anyone can be a pretty good deadlifter. It is hard hard work though. I couldn't pull 315 when i first started and i was in my early 20s with a high 300 bench. But i was able to make steady gains and have pulled 650 in comp, no drugs. I am just coming back from a year off and my goal is 700 and i should no doubt be able to reach that at some point. I have seen guys who will never be good benchers no matter what they do, but i have yet to see anyone who cannot pull 500+ without hard work and the right assistance exercises.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
My two cents use band training... It will help your pull and also BB hack squats has help me....
I can post vid on what dead band left looks like
dem bands just gonna make you stronger half way to lock out stronger, not really off the floor sir because there is no tension on the bands when your start and it increases as you finish the lift.

defecit DLs like the fellas suggesting. I got the same problem I usually stand on 25s or some bumper plates. make sure youre pulling "back" too

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
dem bands just gonna make you stronger half way to lock out stronger, not really off the floor sir because there is no tension on the bands when your start and it increases as you finish the lift.

defecit DLs like the fellas suggesting. I got the same problem I usually stand on 25s or some bumper plates. make sure youre pulling "back" too
That I agree with I should been more complete in my comments.. on the pull part.. When you take off the bands the pull from the start seems much easer on my 1RM... ( but once more you correct it build power half way to lock out).. I love band traininG!!!!!!!!

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Rotate deficit DL, Zercher squats, goodmornings, as well as additional hamstring work.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That I agree with I should been more complete in my comments.. on the pull part.. When you take off the bands the pull from the start seems much easer on my 1RM... ( but once more you correct it build power half way to lock out).. I love band traininG!!!!!!!!
I think it does make it easier, too. It helps so much with muscle recruitment/activation. Honestly, as someone who doesn't olympic lift at all, nothing helps with pulling faster and harder than doing it with bands. With that said I haven't done this since I was maxing at 285-315 lol...