help with arms

powerseeker

Awards
hey y'all i got a quick, if somewhat 'non powerlifting' question

how do i get bigger bi's?

my arms are not 'small' but mi bis are, if you get my meaning.
i have the triceps of a 20 inch arm, witht he bis of a a 17 inch arm,
which leaves much to be desired when asked to 'make a muscle.'

dont get me wrong, im a powerlifter at heart, and to me saying i squat 700 is much more important than a six pack ever will be, but i dont think wanting bigger bi's is TOO much of a sacrilege.

I dont want 'cuts,' i just want mass.

any help is appreciated.

oh and btw my 'arm routine' (lol) consists of bb curls 3x10 after bench, thats it. (of course they get hit with rows)

thanks yall.

edit:

just wanted to add, that i didnt ask this at the bb section because i dont want the advice of endless sets and reps and excersises.
i asked this here because i want knotted mass, and nobody knows how to add that better than powerlifters lol

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
Heavy barbell rows, weighted pull-ups, tire flips, etc. Train your back nice and heavy and your biceps will grow. Do NOT, by any means, do curls in a squat rack or on a platform. The bathroom or a closet with the lights off is a better place so people don't see you do that sh!t. I absolutely phuckin' HATE curls. What the hell do you need biceps for anyway?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3 sets of 10 on top of back work is probably not enough stimulas for your bis. You do a lot of pressing as a powerlifters and added tricep work since it helps lock out. Id suggest on your bench assistence or whenever you train upper body you add 2-3 sets of 5-8 reps of hammer curls to not only provide other benifits but more stimulas and muscle break down.

powerseeker

Awards
Heavy barbell rows, weighted pull-ups, tire flips, etc. Train your back nice and heavy and your biceps will grow. Do NOT, by any means, do curls in a squat rack or on a platform. The bathroom or a closet with the lights off is a better place so people don't see you do that sh!t. I absolutely phuckin' HATE curls. What the hell do you need biceps for anyway?

do all of the above except weighted pullups, seeing as how even non weighted pull ups are a 1-2 rep exercise if you get my drift.

and dont worry brother, id rather eat glass than curl in the power rack. that **** is just wrong.

as for why i need em, the answer is: I dont.
I want em to look more impressive, simple as that.

Im thinking of something like
3*6 heavy barbell curls
3*10 hammer curls

then some 21's like an above poster said. My bro used those a few years back to add an inch to his arms

any more advice?
Please? lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
more overall volume. split up the bicep work on your upper days
Not much more is needed, more volume=more direct time under tension=more growth. simple as that, no special routines.
Just do you heavy curls on bench day with some 21's 1-2 sets
then on ur assistence day do the hammer curls with 21's 1-2 sets
do that for 4-6 weeks, asses your progress and switch it up man

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
more overall volume. split up the bicep work on your upper days
Not much more is needed, more volume=more direct time under tension=more growth. simple as that, no special routines.
Just do you heavy curls on bench day with some 21's 1-2 sets
then on ur assistence day do the hammer curls with 21's 1-2 sets
do that for 4-6 weeks, asses your progress and switch it up man

or you can add them first on your leg days so u can apply ample effort and not take away from your lifts, its really just preference where u add it

GreatJakeDane

Awards
HEAVY Hammer curls and decently heavy barbell preacher curls nuff said it will fit the powerlifting mentality but keep your reps in the 8-10 range

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
The only curl work I do MVM curls (also called pinwheel curls) and work them heavy for 3 sets of 5. I give the same recommendation to my gf who is trying to compete strongwoman

powerseeker

Awards
I think ill give more volume a try.
been doing barbell curls with straight bar then hammer curls followed by 21's on bench days (after benchpressing) and it seems to be achieving a 'pump' pretty well, ill see if this works any.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yea man, give it a lil time. Time undertension is key

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
yea man, give it a lil time. Time undertension is key
I agree to a point. I think yes, but I also think you need some good heavy weights to help tendon strength and growth.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree to a point. I think yes, but I also think you need some good heavy weights to help tendon strength and growth.
I agree with this too, a good mix would be good

powerseeker

Awards
"agree to a point. I think yes, but I also think you need some good heavy weights to help tendon strength and growth."

wouldnt the heavy barbell rows be considered tendon work? and all the straight bar curls and hammers be be for mass gaining, despite being 'heavy?'

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
"agree to a point. I think yes, but I also think you need some good heavy weights to help tendon strength and growth."

wouldnt the heavy barbell rows be considered tendon work? and all the straight bar curls and hammers be be for mass gaining, despite being 'heavy?'
I think in a way it could be, but from my experience you want to really get some good forms of hammer or pinwheel curls in to really strengthen them and let the bis get the blunt of the force

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
gain 15 lbs of muscle and your bis will grow proportionally. Your not going to grow your bi's substantially within putting more muscle on overall. That is kind of where the squat for bigger buys thing came from. People just like to repeat it without having a clue what they are talking about.