Whats a normal squat range?

Megalo

Megalo

Awards
Hi guys I've been trying out my new 5/3/1 routine for about a month and a half now and I have a nice gain in weight and strength of at least 20% in all my lifts it's great. I'm 17 years old 5'11, 167-170 pounds, 9%body fat and been working out for about a year. I just wanted to know what you think is normal for someone of my age and experience to be full squatting, I mean ass to the floor squatting. I can easily do up to 5 reps 300 pounds full squat. The reason I ask is because some guys told me, that it was crazy that I was doing so much and asking me if it hurt my knees. I told them no that I just go up and down slowly and don't slam myself to the floor. Earlier I saw them box squatting about 225 and it seemed hard for them to do. I just thought they were doing a warm up or something, I had always thought my squat range was normal, thoughts?

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
They're just pussies man. People that think 300 is a lot of weight for a full squat have proven that they aren't entitled to an opinion. I've seen 145 pound guys squat in the 500 pound range at 17-18 years old. It just takes a pair of balls .

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
In my experience full and ATG squats are easier on the knees and more stress is placed on the hips. My knees hurt more if I cut the rep short, and since I stoped bitching out my knees have had no problems. I don't know how this would translate to a person with real knee problems. I feel people often make excuses to put more weight then they can handle on the bar and do half ass reps

n87

Awards
  • Established
They're just pussies man. People that think 300 is a lot of weight for a full squat have proven that they aren't entitled to an opinion. I've seen 145 pound guys squat in the 500 pound range at 17-18 years old. It just takes a pair of balls .
So can you full squat 3 times your bodyweight also? That'd be about 650lbs. Just wondering...

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
In the end what others can do is irrelevant. As long as you have improved upon where you where and consistently make improvements you are successful. People will be bigger and stronger than others due to a myriad of reasons. You really should only compare yourself to yourself.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A proper squat is a hip based exercise. Sadly, most people do not know how to do a damn squat.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stopping before parallel places more strain on the knees. Go full ATG or just below parallel

Pick up the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
So can you full squat 3 times your bodyweight also? That'd be about 650lbs. Just wondering...
I won oklahomas high school powerlifting championship my junior year and got 520 at 198. Blew my knee out the first football game of my senior year and haven't gone heavy since. I think I could have hit 6, but I won't now lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stopping before parallel places more strain on the knees. Go full ATG or just below parallel

Pick up the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
Not if you have proper form. As I said, a proper barbell squat is hip based and does not overly stress the knees. Part of the problem is that people do not allow their knees to push out, which does put strain on the knee, but this is a technique problem and not something intrinsic to the squat.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not if you have proper form. As I said, a proper barbell squat is hip based and does not overly stress the knees. Part of the problem is that people do not allow their knees to push out, which does put strain on the knee, but this is a technique problem and not something intrinsic to the squat.
I agree the squat is definitely a hip based movement but doesn't going passed parallel effectively transfer that load to the hips and stopping at or above parallel places direct stress on the knees from that load?

Of course any movement where a lifter has bad form there will be the potential for injury.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree the squat is definitely a hip based movement but doesn't going passed parallel effectively transfer that load to the hips and stopping at or above parallel places direct stress on the knees from that load?

Of course any movement where a lifter has bad form there will be the potential for injury.
With a proper arch in the lumbar, traps dug into the bar, footwear (the forgotten element), and foot spacing, there will be little knee stress. The problem is that most people don't allow their knees to go outward during the descent and sit back far enough.

Megalo

Megalo

Awards
thanks guys I learned a lot, ya my knees are fine, I go all the way down slowly and push back up as hard as I can. You'd think it'd be common sense to think more weight=more stress on the knees but it seems a few of you have different opinions. Since everything seems fine for me now and I am getting stronger I'll continue with what I'm doing.

Tumey

Awards
I agree. In looking at the way westside does squat training, they use a box. You learn to sit back and use the muscles that will help you squat big. I had some pain in my knees when I was doing reg squats. Main reason was my form. Box squats really teach you to use proper form. The only problem is finding a box in your gym that isn't to high. Have to spend 200 for an actual box designed to squat on.

powerseeker

Awards
Im not an expert by any means, but in my humble opinion, squat range varies vastly from person to person.

Dont get me wrong, that 1/4 knee bend that most people call a squat is BS, but even among the true squatters there's a big difference; I think due to biomechanics, in other words the way individuals are built.

Me for example, I try to do ass to grass, and my strength plummets. But some people are actually stronger than that.

once again, im no expert, but im my opinion, as long as youre breaking parallel, whatever feels right is probably right.

Oh, and as anyone that asks about 'ruining your knees' while squatting: put them on your ignore list, theyre full of $hit

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
If you have access to a proper box to squat on, I would work on that. I don't think beginners should do freesquats very often. The box squat reinforces proper technique (ex. sitting back, hitting depth, getting a good arch, developing hip,ham, and glute strength) Squatting below parallel is ok, but the ATG style squatting is more risk and strain to the knees than necessary.ATG style squatting is intended for olympic weightlifting because it mimicks the position of the catch for the clean and or snatch. For some reason people find the need to make the ATG squat a test of manhood, which is faulty thinking, people should squat to parallel to a minimum and preferably an inch or two below, but pinning your hamstrings to your calves is ultimately pointless for maximum strength.

gsxr620

Awards
right on guys i am new here and i love it alread!!!! I squat really low to the ground and just below parallel i altermat to try and fight acomidation i even do higher squats off the rack

Redoubt

Redoubt

Awards
Yes, 300lbs on a squat isn't a great deal more than the average squat, but if you're doing them ATG and having good gains, then all the better to you. Imo, training the squat ATG as often as you can will make you stronger at the lift, and many others. It strengthens the initial explosion and speed from the bottom of the lift. I don't see how anyone could counter what I'm saying. Doesn't matter the weight; if you're going ATG, have fun with it, and go at your own pace.