band training confusion - AnabolicMinds.com

band training confusion

1. New Member

band training confusion

im trying to figure out which band set i should purchase. i plan on using them on speed training day for bench squat and deadlift. my lifts are

squat:400
    bench:340
    deadlift: around 450

also on speed day when training with 50-60% of your 1rm do you add the bands on top of that percentage or use them so that the total is 50-60%?
    would like to also implement them on max effort days seeing as i dont have chains.

thanks for the help.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

A pair of mini-bands are generally what are used for BP and DL. For the SQ average or strong bands are used. For speed work drop the percentage slightly, but ultimately you just have to put some weight on the bar and see how your speed is and adjust from there.
    If you are lifting or competing raw, don't get too crazy with the bands as the most difficult part of the lift is at the bottom which is deloaded a bit with bands. If you are a raw lifter my recommendation would be to do most of your ME work with straight weight and your DE work with modest band tension. If you lift equipped you can incorporate more band work. Just don't forget to get enough practice with straight weight before meets.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.

I love the LifeLine bands. They have some awesome products! Check them out.
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    A pair of mini-bands are generally what are used for BP and DL. For the SQ average or strong bands are used. For speed work drop the percentage slightly, but ultimately you just have to put some weight on the bar and see how your speed is and adjust from there.
    If you are lifting or competing raw, don't get too crazy with the bands as the most difficult part of the lift is at the bottom which is deloaded a bit with bands. If you are a raw lifter my recommendation would be to do most of your ME work with straight weight and your DE work with modest band tension. If you lift equipped you can incorporate more band work. Just don't forget to get enough practice with straight weight before meets.
    ya im gonna be lifting raw. im trying to find a powerlifting meet to compete in as ive never done one before so it should be interesting. i was thinking of getting a pair of monster minis for 4 everything.

Quote Originally Posted by shocknyou View Post
    I love the LifeLine bands. They have some awesome products! Check them out.
    will do thanks.
  5. New Member

i also plan on competing in a powerlifting meet for the first time ever this coming may. does anyone have any advice on what to expect?
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Here are the big things to get ready for your first meet.
    1) Read the rulebook for the organization and make sure everything is in line. Pay special attention to things like equipment and attire. Everyone will require a singlet but some federations are super-specific about things like t-shirts, socks, shoes, and even underwear. You also want to note what is allowable in the raw division as this varies. Belts are always good, some allow wrist wrap and others don't, some allow nothing on the knees some allow knee sleeves and some allow knee wraps.
    2) Make sure your performance of the lifts is legal. Particularly things like SQ depth, pause on the BP, and no hitching in the DL. Depending on how you have been performing the lifts your contest maxes may be alot different than your "gym lifts".
    3) Learn the commands for each lifts (squat, rack it, down, etc...). Start having someone at the gym give you commands for some training lifts. There's nothing worse than getting SQ red lighted after you squatted it easily because you rack it too early.
    4) Incorporate pauses into all your lifts in training. This is related to the commands. For every SQ sets walk it out and hold it for 2 sec. before squatting, pause for 2 sec. before racking at the end of every set. For BP, unrack it and hold it at the top for a second, take it down and pause, then press it and hold it at the top for 2 sec before racking. For the DL, hold the last rep of every set at the top for 2-3 sec and make sure you haven't developed a habit of letting go of the bar on the way down. We tend to go on "auto-pilot" at the meets, so it's good to have those pauses before and after the lifts built into your "auto-pilot" program so you don't accidentally jump a command.
    5) Open light. Your opener should be something you can triple even if you spent the night before puking. Take something you think will be heavy but unlikely to miss for your second. For your third, take a jump up based on how easy or hard your second attempt was. Remember your goal for the first meet is to get a total to try and beat next time.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.

Iron Woody has very nice bands:
    http://ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

Check out the packages for the 41in long bands. Either the starter or intermediate would probably work well.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. IT Band and squats
    By drinkyboy in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  2. Will they band DHEA?
    By LiveNDie in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 04:54 AM
  3. Band use?
    By advanracing62 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman