Squatting briefs for raw lifter?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.65%

Squatting briefs for raw lifter?

I lift raw and have been having pains in my hips for a while now during and after squatting. Nothing else really aggrevates them. I have been doing plyo and static stretches on them and foam rolling and it all hepls to a point.

I was wondering if a loose pair of squatting briefs help for support? I squat 1.5x shoulder width stance and thought it may aid me? Any ideas for what briefs to use and whether i'm just talking out of my arse?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.65%

No one?
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.89%

The briefs will likely help some, but they ultimately end up masking the problem and not fixing it. If your stance is that wide raw and your hips are hurting you probably need to bring your stance in. Squatting raw and squatting in equipment are different things and thus you can't necessarily take all the wide stance stuff and apply it to raw lifting. I would recommend bringing your stance in to just outside shoulder width and continue the stretching and foam rolling.
    On the other hand, if you plan on eventually competing in equipment getting a pair of briefs would be fine in my opinion.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Use a baseball instead of a foam roller for the piriformis/glute area.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.31%

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    The briefs will likely help some, but they ultimately end up masking the problem and not fixing it. If your stance is that wide raw and your hips are hurting you probably need to bring your stance in. Squatting raw and squatting in equipment are different things and thus you can't necessarily take all the wide stance stuff and apply it to raw lifting. I would recommend bringing your stance in to just outside shoulder width and continue the stretching and foam rolling.
    On the other hand, if you plan on eventually competing in equipment getting a pair of briefs would be fine in my opinion.
    I compete raw and I agree with SRS2000 that your stance may be too wide. My stance is just outside of shoulder width with my feet slightly turned out. I've found my hips don't hurt, I can easily get low enough and I feel my strongest. I also do a lot of foam rolling and extra hip work using a #1 powerlifting band. i do isometric hip flexion holds as well as hip extension, abduction and adduction holds and its really helped.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.41%

A loose pair of breifs would be great. I have a pair and I mostly compete raw. I think they are best used every 3-4 weeks to give the hips a break and overload the squat. I hear good things about the titan and metal breifs.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.65%

Mongo do you squat with a wider than shoulder-width stance then? This is my thinking behind the briefs - that it will support my hips and overload the squat every now and again which i believe is a good thing to do every now and again for the big 3.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.41%

I do squat outside shoulder width.I have been told that doing light ultra wide sumo dl as an auxilary lift for reps will help to strengthen the hips for the squat. Be careful though, and use light weight for sets of 8-10 reps.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.41%

Almost forgot. You can do reverese band box squats now and again to get the same effect as briefs, if you have access to bands.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%

When I was powerlifting I used to wear a set of loose briefs on my speed work because of my wide stance. I could do singles with it occasionally but the reps from speed wore me down to much
    ACSM-CPT
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.02%

I'd bring in the stance a bit. You could throw in some sumo deads for assistance. Just don't go too heavy with them or they'll really tear up your hips.

I had a hip injury a while back and rear foot elevated split squats really helped me with my hip stability and strength.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Inzer Predators vs Metal Ace Pro Briefs
    By DeepDarkHills in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 08:42 PM
  2. 1-ply briefs
    By walker11 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
  3. Squat Briefs
    By Alderslodge in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8