Stalling on deadlifts

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Stalling on deadlifts

Hey guys/gals, im a newbie to this forum and would like to introduce myself. I've been searching different forums to join but this forums seem to be the one to settle down with. Anyway to my question... at the start of performing a pull, do you settle in your start position for a long duration of time? or do you quickly pull right after setting your grip? I hope that made sense. I would like to know what ya'll do and your opinion on it. Thank you

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

I personally settle for long duration, get breath in few times and after i am happy with pressure i do the pull. Dunno if this is the best way to do this, but i have always made my rp's this way. So i do this only with heavy sets or singles.

On regular sets i just go for it without anything special.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

I only take the minimum amount of time necessary to get set. I wouldn't recommend lingering down over the bar too long. This tends to waste too much energy and eliminate any possibility of using a stretch reflex to help with the initial pull. Don't go so fast you set up poorly, but work on minimizing the time spent in the bottom. I get my air and arch, bend down just enough to get my grip, drop my hips and pull.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I only take the minimum amount of time necessary to get set. I wouldn't recommend lingering down over the bar too long. This tends to waste too much energy and eliminate any possibility of using a stretch reflex to help with the initial pull. Don't go so fast you set up poorly, but work on minimizing the time spent in the bottom. I get my air and arch, bend down just enough to get my grip, drop my hips and pull.

+1, this is the same thing I do.
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.

I set my footing first then I set my grip standing with my legs locked and arms at full extension, then I take as much air as I can and pull myself into a deadlift position and begin the pull.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.

Welcome. The guys here are great. Some of us like to hate on each other, but in the end we love to disagree. LOL. There's years of combined experience here...Sorry for rambling...I settle in for awhile(procrastinating)
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.

Grip it and rip it!

Actually, I start really unusually I believe. I get down on my knees and take my grip. I gather myself and focus on breathing. Three deep breaths and hold for a 5 count on each, then quickly step up and explode. So my hands are on the bar for a good 30 seconds, but the time spent in the standing ready position is well under 1 second.

I never thought about it until just know...I wonder if I do this because of my extensive past with wrestling, and exploding up from my knees in the ready position? Sorry...just kind of wondering aloud.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    Grip it and rip it!

Actually, I start really unusually I believe. I get down on my knees and take my grip. I gather myself and focus on breathing. Three deep breaths and hold for a 5 count on each, then quickly step up and explode. So my hands are on the bar for a good 30 seconds, but the time spent in the standing ready position is well under 1 second.

I never thought about it until just know...I wonder if I do this because of my extensive past with wrestling, and exploding up from my knees in the ready position? Sorry...just kind of wondering aloud.

I could see where your wrestling background would play a role in this. Creature of habit.
    PrimeNutrition.com > 20% Off Coupon Code = theneck
    BlackStoneLabs.co/ >
    10% Off Coupon Code = theneck
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

It's all about spending as little time as possible setting up. I mean, getting your footing right is not going to take any energy or sacrifice at all, at least if you're doing this first. But once you're down gripping the bar, you're expending energy holding the position, and the more time you spend getting yourself together down there the more likely you are to give out on your form during the lift. So like drivehard says (love the phrase, btw), grip it and rip it.

CAUTION though: accelerate the bar, don't just try to explode it up in one go. You might manage to muscle it up like that with lower weight, but if you start hitting 500,600,700, etc if you try to explode it up from the ground you might see a side of your shoulder you haven't seen before if you catch my drift. Exceptions may be made if you're Derek Poundstone.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I fiddle with getting my straps tight, wiggle my feet around to the right position, hem and haw a bit, take a few deep breaths, drop down, lean back to straighten the arms, hold the last breath, and up,up, and awaaaaaay!!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.

I do it similar to andy bolton. Set my feet, bend over and grip the bar, then take 3 big breaths, after each one going in to the pulling position then on the third one, going for the lift.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  168 lbs.

dont use straps
    i dont no but i dont really like to be bent over to long with a tight belt on kinds gives me a head rush so i get my grip as tight as i can then i got for it also i get air when i am bent over knees locked and imagine the weight going up b4 i lift it so its already done b4 i start
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  235 lbs.

I get my grip ready, set my feet, get my hips and glutes ready and pull. I don't like to spend much time. Once I set my hips and glutes I pull.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

It really depends on how I'm feeling if I grip and rip or set it up and go.
    ACSM-CPT
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  265 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    It really depends on how I'm feeling if I grip and rip or set it up and go.
    Same here. Looks like there's a wide variety of styles when it comes to deadlifting.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldnsweaty View Post
    Same here. Looks like there's a wide variety of styles when it comes to deadlifting.
    I once was getting taught how to deadlift by Ed Coan and he was like try this way and I couldn't budge it off the floor. he then said well somethings work for some people
    ACSM-CPT
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  168 lbs.

untill you have perfect dead lifting form in the actual lift i would concentrate on that first it takes year to accomplish
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

grip with ass in the air, drop and rip.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 5x5 stalling.
    By taylorgains96 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM
  2. Diet Stalling!
    By mikeyb123 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
  3. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 11:01 AM
  5. Stalling on CKD
    By DreamWeaver in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 11:33 AM