partial lifts good/bad?

HATE

Awards
Does anyone train with partial lifting or know if its good for strength or know if its destructive to the body? I know of several partial movements but doing something like partial squats to strengthen the tendons/ligaments in the hips and knees goes against what i've heard from more than one person bc i was told partial squats are horrible for the knees. So are partial's a good idea for enhancing strength or will it do more harm than good?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
There's no need to do partials to strengthen the tendons and ligaments. Heavy full-range movements do that just fine. Partials can be used to work specific areas or weak points in the full lifts though. For example, board presses can be used to train the lockout of the bench press or rack pulls for targeting certain areas of the deadlift. I don't think partials in the squat are really beneficial for anything I can think of. Like most things, when used correctly partials can serve a legitimate purpose and when used incorrectly can cause problems and injury.

HATE

Awards
Ok i was just curious bc from what i heard doing short range increased tendon strength quicker, but if full range does the same i'll stick with that. Thanks i appreciate the advice

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does anyone train with partial lifting or know if its good for strength or know if its destructive to the body? I know of several partial movements but doing something like partial squats to strengthen the tendons/ligaments in the hips and knees goes against what i've heard from more than one person bc i was told partial squats are horrible for the knees. So are partial's a good idea for enhancing strength or will it do more harm than good?
It's called bad form; not a partial lift!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Partials can be great in the bodybuilding world where TUT (time under tension) is important for growth, or to strengthen a certain part of your lift as someone mentioned.

Not so great for powerlifting though afaik..

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
There's no need to do partials to strengthen the tendons and ligaments. Heavy full-range movements do that just fine. Partials can be used to work specific areas or weak points in the full lifts though. For example, board presses can be used to train the lockout of the bench press or rack pulls for targeting certain areas of the deadlift. I don't think partials in the squat are really beneficial for anything I can think of. Like most things, when used correctly partials can serve a legitimate purpose and when used incorrectly can cause problems and injury.

Spot on!

For PLing you need full ROM, unless your referring to things like board presses or box squats.